“Waste of time (and money)”

Tablao Alvarez Quintero
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Flamenco Show at Tablao Alvarez Quintero in...
Ranked #9 of 44 Concerts & Shows in Seville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Tablao Álvarez Quintero is located just 20 meters from the Seville cathedral, street Alvarez Quintero nº 48. It occupies the ground floor of a unique Sevillian house from the late XIX century. With a maximum capacity of 70 people, is a comfortable and cozy place to enjoy the best flamenco in Seville. From Tablao Alvarez Quintero we have a goal: the dissemination of flamenco as we understood here in our city. Also, we try that the person to attend our show, can take a sense of belonging to Andalusia and its essence, which is carried out through the interaction between our artists and the public. Our organization focus on pure flamenco, that was born of improvisation artists, pure emotion that is transmitted to the public through feeling, universal language.
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have already complained at Tanzania forum that some people have found the way to promote their business on TA. I don’t know how TA ranking system works but having this as one of the main Sevilla’s attractions is a joke.

This is a theater-like show in a rectangular room where they have managed to squize about 50 chairs. There are three performers: guitar player, a singer and a female dancer and they looked like they have never met before. No connection, interaction or support of each other.
Guitar player seemed to be absent and bored, almost like “do I have to stay here up to the very end” type. Singer would close his eyes to give impression of deep feelings behind his song. Female dancer was trying to bring some passion to the performance but with no support from other members whatsoever.

All in all, this is a poorly run business exploiting tourists need for good flamenco experience. I’ve seen street performers in Buenos Aires that were far more professional than these guys.

5  Thank drago_ca
in 12 reviews
in 2 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Having seen plenty of flamenco shows of varying quality during my extended stay in Seville
I was expecting a touristy show. Thankfully, I was proved wrong. The female dancer was skilled, intense and full of 'duende' while the male dancer, who unusually danced with castanets, was a revelation. A final Sevillanas (which is not considered 'real' flamenco) was danced with a sensuality I have never seen before. I thoroughly enjoyed it all.
I took the advice of previous reviewers and arrived at 8.15 and was second in line thereby gaining a coveted front row seat. The other audience members from their thunderous applause did not seem to have suffered being further back.
I would recommend this show for its quality and location and for those who want a well-rounded show.

1  Thank Viola0175
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Definitely not of the same opinion as the others. Maybe it was an off day for the performers. At 18 Euros a seat we, and judging by comments overheard at the end of the show expected better. Doors opened at 8:30 PM for a 9: PM show. We arrived just after the doors opened and ended up sitting in the fifth row only to discover because of the shallow slant of the floor the people in front rows blocked out our view. I sincerely doubt beyond the third row anyone could see very much of anything. The show went for exactly one hour. There were four performers, a guitarist who was good but not great a male vocalist, a male dancer and a female dancer both of whom occasionally joined in the singing. It is hard to say whether the dancing was good because we couldn’t see. However the costumes were a real let down. Dull worn and ill-fitting if I didn’t know better I would have said they were sourced from the local op shop. Not an event I would recommend.

2  Thank CrewCommander
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We were expecting a bit bigger and more dancers , was only 1 -
They do stretch it for an hour but I felt the kids got bored a bit ( they are not that young so won't recommend younger kids atall )
The lady who danced was good but again didn't expect an older person -
Might have chosen a different one if had know all of the details , bought the tickets from the street -