“Central location, decent value, but very smoky..."”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Pension Alcazar

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seville
Pension Alcazar
Ranked #64 of 70 Seville B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Central location, decent value, but very smoky..."”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2010

This pension is a bit difficult to find, bc it is in a back alley behind the main Puerta de Jerez in the bustling center of many things touristy. Within 5-10 minutes walking distance you can pick up the double-decker bus tours, visit the Plaza del Toros la Meastranza, Torre del Oro, Giraldo Cathedral, Universidad de Sevilla, Plaza de Espana, etc. etc. It is also close enough to bus stops to get around the city quite easily (including a cheap 20 minute ride to the train station). This pension is nice and it stays relatively quiet most evenings, with the occasional weekend and night noise of restaurant dishes clashing, laughter, and the antics of a drunk husband criticizing his wife. I booked this pension bc it was one of the few value hostels with a private bathroom option that would take a credit card payment (most take only cash). The husband/wife staff was very friendly, but the thick cigarette smoke permeating the office on the ground floor, easily pushes up thru the structure to the rooms on the first floor. I didn't like feeling like I was in a smoking room, as a non-smoker, but this is Spain. The bathroom was tiny tiny, but it was private and in my room which was good.
I found the housekeeping to be rather lazy - some of my towels that should have been washed looked like they had dirty stains on them (and I'd thrown some on the floor on purpose to be washed, I think they were folded and rehung??). The bed I got was 2 twins pushed together and although they looked nice, further exploration shows broken headboards leaning against the wall, and a general facade of luxury and amenities (closet and a beautiful set of french doors in front of the window/balcony) which exposes shoddy housekeeping (sheets and covers just don't feel clean, dirty rag found hanging outside of the balcony, just outside of curtains).

I wanted to leave my bag at the front desk to do some final sightseeing, but the owners told me to leave it in the front lobby in front of the open door. I did not feel safe with this option - they should have had a closet to securely store my bag, but the main lobby is tiny and it was filled (although the pension does not appear to handle too many occupants). Overall, I found it's central location and private bathroom to be the major value of this hotel. But I don't think I'd want to stay there again bc of the smoke and the housekeeping.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank MDT_Adventures

Queensland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2009

My family stayed in this pension based on good reviews. Not sure what the criteria was for the reviews but obviously very low. The room we stayed in stunk and the shower was so close to the toilet you could not move. The walk to the room was interesting as you passed an old tv and bicycle in the hall way. Our room had a terrace which was great if you did not mind sharing it with the owners/managers drying clothes. Cathedral to one side and drying underpants to the other. The view of the cathedral was small and not worthwhile. The owners who seemed nice enough recommended a Flamenco show to us "Los Gallos". The show was not the best Flamenco I have seen and the owners seemed more intent on telling people not to take photos then their enjoyment. So unless you are on a very tight budget, stay somewhere else and see a better Flamenco show.

• Liked — Not much
  • Disliked — Almost everything, although it was close to historical centre
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Darren1

Travelers are raving about these Seville hotels