“No swimming pool or garden”
Review of Hacienda Montija

Hacienda Montija
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Huelva
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Only reason I booked this hotel was the description of a swimming pool and garden where I looked forward to relax. But, despite nothing mentioned when I booked it, the swimming pool was closed and there was no garden due to reconstruction. I takes one and a half hour to go to the city center unless you take a taxi which cost 15 €. Should I ever come to Huelva I will stay in the city center. Despite this the front desk staff were friendly and helpful. When I arrived I had in error booked the room next month but Maria called Booking.com and confirmed the booking change with no charge. The restaurant served a good lunch with a fantastic risotto with mushrooms and foie gras - I was in heaven - and is good value.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Lars B

Reviewed November 17, 2013

This hotel is a bit half way to nowhere, but not far from Huelva. I spent there only 1 night so my impression is (maybe) not very accurate. The building is very uncommon: with all rooms upstairs sharing the court (tented). My room was not big but nice and clean with a quite big bathroom.
Service in restaurant and hotel is very friendly and helpful, food (diner and breakfast- €6) very good.
I regret I couldn't stay longer, but maybe next time?

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2013

No-one showed us to our room, but this was not a problem as we had to get the staff to clean the room and bathroom. The left-over debris in the wash bowl was just water stains they said. A lump of something resembling a bird dropping did not look like water staining!
In the bedroom, in plain view, a discarded button cell battery lay on the floor.
The restaurant was a disaster. We were given a menu with about 5 choices for each course. We made our selections and were then told that the only available food was a salad for starter, a choice of Cod or Pork filet for main course and no mention of a dessert. The fact that we were the only diners and were early, suggested that they had not had a busy night.
On the plus side, the area is quiet and the beds are very comfortable - we slept well.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Awkward place to find, its on the A5000 about 3km from Huelva, the signs are overgrown and its on a bend. From Huelva go past it to the turning place.
Looks great from the outside, Unfortunately the hot water was not hot, no sun for the solar panels ???. Staff thought tepid water was hot. Spa tub was also cool and sauna was not put on until we went in. There are better hotels about. Cost Euro 60 for one night for 2 people. Plenty of parking around hotel.
Huelva is a nice old town, nice for a walk around for a couple of hours, outskirts are a bit run down
The road to mazagon is heavily industrialized with refineries and smells of chemicals.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the second floor, there is a lift.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Huelva
Reviewed July 18, 2012

If you'd like to use the spa actually for free, bring your own shower cap. Shower caps are mandatory for the spa and sold for 2 euros (!) at the door.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed here while travelling through Spain. This was meant to be hotel in the leg of the trip in which we were to relax and unwind. We had chosen this place to stay as we coincided with my wife's birthday. However, when we arrived they had informed us that the spa was not functioning for the last few days. We were hoping that if the spa wasn't working that the hotel should at least inform us as we had reserved a room and were not walk in customers. And since the spa wasn't working we paid more attention to the things in the room that we would normally pay attention to. The room service food menu was very limited, and the breakfast menu wasn't the best as well. Though there were enough choices in cold cuts and cereal along with a few fruits, there was lots of the other hotels which had a tastier and more varied spread of dishes in the morning breakfast.
However, this hotel does have a great balcony attached to the room which was great just to sit it and read a book. The room are quite compact so the balcony is where you will end up spending most of your time.
The hotel is about 8-10 minutes drive from the city centre, and if it is your first time in Huelva, this is not the place I would recommend, as there is nothing around the hotel. If you have seen Huelva, then this might be your weekend getaway, provided the spa is functional.and i am sure that if it was working my review on this place would be quite different.

Room Tip: ensure the spa is working. there is nothing else other than that in this hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TarunJagwani
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Like this place. It was a pleasure to stay there. Hotel looks like a family one, maybe it is true. Pretty big rooms with a great bed, I had nice sleep over there. Although I am not sure if it's a four star category hotel. Maybe for Spain it is. But I have nothing against this hotel, I've enjoyed my stay there.

Room Tip: Take the rooms above restaurant
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple