“Bland and disinterested...”

Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Neighborhood: Realejo - San Matias
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We possibly tainted our experience somewhat by not speaking enough Spanish as our first waiter could not understand English he called upon another, he seemed quite frustrated...I can understand that, as he was the only one who could serve the many English speakers. When I asked if we could have a table, he gestured to a free table and looked as though we were thick for not just sitting down.

We ordered a beer and juice, the tapas lottery gave us fried rice, which was very good. The beer on tap, the cheapest I assume, is quite bad.

After waiting for someone to come by, clear the plates, ask if we want something else, as they were doing for others... I was forced to waive down the waiter, he served us from a few metres away. The food came out quickly. bread was decent. The fried baby squid was bland. Mushrooms in garlic were horrible, they were drenched in an oily, very salty, slightly garlic sauce, they were ok on bread, but once that ran out they were very hard to eat solo.

Being somewhat full but far from satisfied we left, the price was more than what we paid for 9 much tastier (though smaller) tapas and 6 drinks the night before ... I'd avoid.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,133)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We were two girls who barely spoke Spanish went there thanks to the recommendation given by the hotel receptionist. The place was packed with locals having beer and lunch (Spanish time, which was close to 2 PM). Squeezed ourselves to the bar, waved at the bartender and asked for a glass of beer and tapas that came with it. At first we didn't know how things worked there. But just by watching how the others did it, we figured out that each drink order comes with a free tapas variety (small plate) which they have available fresh from the stove at moment of order. If you want a specific meal type, then you have to order it as a "racion", a big plate.

For our first round we ordered cerveza (beer) which came with pescaito (fried fish) for me and fried potato for my friend. Then we decided to try the tinto de verano (a mixture of wine and soft drink - a kind of Sangria with a twist) which came with paella (Spanish rice with chicken) for me and champignons (mushroom) for me. At the bar, we met new acquaintances and "conversed" with 2 locals, who proudly told us where to go around in the city. Such a great atmosphere and great food. The damage for both of us was Euro 6.80. Not bad for such a nice experience.

Just a great way to go local and mingle !

1  Thank fromcincy
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Fantastic restaurant , great atmosphere , good value and really amazing fish tapas. Had a lovely experience here which, really enhanced our visit to Granada.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

After reading the reviews, I was keen to try this little bar. It was always busy when we passed - always a good sign. Best time to go is when Barcelona play Real Madrid as there is no TV which means you can actually get in the place. Couldn't believe what great value it was with fresh tapas with every drink.

1  Thank Sharon1506
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I was on my own and it was packed but the lovely barman kept an eye on me and helped me through the process, almost like he was directing traffic at a busy intersection. Free tapas with every drink, and very good quality. Loved the whole experience!

1  Thank ljwtoronto