“Wonderful location, great value”

Apartamentos Venecia
Ranked #14 of 93 Granada B&B and Inns
Valencia
“Wonderful location, great value”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We came by car, and were grateful for the hotelier's help getting to the hotel car park and through the pedestrian only barrier. You need to talk to the hotel to organize this. Spent two nights — perfect for Alhambra and Alabaicín. Great value, and you have the heart of old Granada at your doorstep.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank altufyevo1
veneciahostal, Manager at Apartamentos Venecia, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you very much for your stay in our hostel. We are delighted to welcome people from around the world who appreciate this place and especially our crown jewel, the Alhambra. We hope to see you on your next visit to Granada. Thank you.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We spent three comfortable nights here. A warm welcome awaited us on our arrival. There had been a confusion over our booking and so we were placed in a one-bedroomed apartment further up the Calle Gomerez, with a view of the Alhambra itself from the veranda. The position of the hotel is excellent, very close to the centre, with good places to eat close at hand, and within walking distance of most of Granada's attractions and historic sites. Lorca fans will be in paradise. The only carp would be about the early-morning noise from cars and motor-bikes setting off under our window, and the fact that this hotel, like so very many round the world, doesn't realise some people like to read in bed and so has dismal lighting. Central, clean, cheap, comfortable. Give it a go.

Room Tip: Ask for the annexe building further up the hill.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DingiswayoStAustell
Birmingham
Reviewed October 14, 2011

An excellent stay with friendly and helpful staff. Breakast choice good and as everyone says everywhere is clean. Ideal for transfer from airport via metro and bus 19 that drops one 100 metres from hotel. Close to all the attractions some walkable. Advise buying a tourist transport card either online for 10% less or at helful Tourist offices. Enjoyed capuccino and cake at Grand capuccion cafe enar cathedral. Casa Roberta restaurant is place to eat though pricey.

Room Tip: 8B has balcony
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Stayed here 1 night, didn't have reservations ahead of time. The owners were very friendly and helpful; they speak a little English but communication is most fruitful in Spanish or German. Rooms were clean and spacious. Our room had a sink; showers and toilets were down the hall. Fairly quiet location, and the hostal itself was quiet as well. Decor is very unique and fun.

The main entrance to the Alhambra is just up the road; lots of shops right nearby, and it's an easy walk to other sights, restaurant areas, etc.

No breakfast; not sure if WiFi was available. We were able to leave our luggage at the hostal the day we checked out, before catching a bus later in the day.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I come back regurlaly to Hostal Venecia since 1996, as Granada is one of my favorite cities in the world. My friend recommended this small, wonderful gem to me all these years ago, as he stayed there for several weeks and loved it. I was pleasantly surprised how clean it was - for a very small price. I rememer to be woken up in the morning by beautiful lady, owner of the Guest House. She brought herbal tea with honey in my room!
Since then I vsited this lovely place many times, alone, and with my husband, and each time I am treated as a good friend - owners are charming and very kind. We speak German, as they know it very well. They work day and night very hard to make their guests feel comfortable, and I appreciate all their hard work - the place is spotless, and tastefully decorated. I alwasy take photos there, it is so full of charm.
The price per room for centre of Granada, near my beloved Alhambra palace with amazing Generalife Gardens, is very small. Just once when I visited Granada, Hostal Venecia was full, and a friend booked me and 2 of my girlfriends into a new build hotel on the outskirts of Granada. It is there in this faceless, heartess building I appreciated Hostal Venecia even more - it has a heart, and a soul. This April on my trip to Granada I felt again at home in Hostal Venecia. I definately will be returning again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 5, 2011

The first time I went to Granada, I was lucky enough to stay at Hostal Venecia (in 2008)--it was a wonderful experience then and each time I've been there since...I'm shocked at a lot of the negative reviews. I stayed in the single room then. It's small but charming. Most recently in October & early November, I stayed in the dorm--that got new bedding for the winter but other than that looks just like it did before: clean and simple. I love the fact that it hasn't changed much over the years... Senora Carmen is still bustling around, cleaning and making sure you get that ginger 'infusion' and Sergio is still the same sweet man (though can put out a surly vibe) he has always been.

I've stayed with them 4 times in the last couple years and I've always been well cared for. They keep the showers and rooms clean, there's an iron if you want to borrow it, books left behind/swapped out by travelers, heaters for the winter, and Carmen will always smile and call you guapa. I've never had any issue with fraudulent credit card charges... but yes, treat it as a cash only place. (It's less than 20 euros a night so it's not that big a deal to plan ahead for that).

Oh and the location is absolutely great--right at plaza nueva, close to the teterias and its a straight shot up the street to the Alhambra... there's an internet cafe a street (or two) over and the buses for sacremonte etc stop right at plaza nueva if you don't want to walk.

I really could go on and on, but I'll stop here. I hadn't reviewed them sooner since I don't tend to post reviews (and yes, I didn't really want the place to get too full and get bumped out of my spot next time ;) ) but, I couldn't really stand to see all the negative reviews...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
valencia, spain
Reviewed June 28, 2010

My experience of Hostal Venecia is similar to other reviews - I rang ahead to reserve a room & the owner was most meticulous about taking my credit card number.....

During the course of my stay I happened to check my bank account & noticed a debit from Hostal Venecia ( a debit that had occurred without my consent & without any communication of doing so). On checking out I noticed that the amount already charged by Hostal Venecia was not deducted from my final bill. When I pointed this out Sergio (the owner) got very angry, very rude; he shouted at me, snatched my passport from me & slammed the money down on the counter. He told me that it was a bank charge for checking the authenticity of the credit card. However, I have travelled extensively across the world & NEVER encountered this charge before. Nor have I experienced such nastiness!

Sergio is clearly in the wrong job!

Don't stay here!