New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

and 1 more site!
Pension Alcazaba
Ranked #70 of 95 Granada B&B and Inns
Bedzin, Poland
“Decent rooms, excellent value for money and nice manager.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Hostal Alcazaba was simply decent - clean, with all you need, in a walking distance from everywhere. I booked single room with bathroom, but to my surprise what I got was room AND bathroom, separated:) I walked in my towel trough the corridor everyday with my private keys to the bathroom - it wasn't a problem, but it was rather weird.
What was above the average was the price - it is REALLY cheap stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed out stay at Hostal Alcazaba. It's nothing fancy, but for the price (€36 for a double with A/C), it's a very good deal.

The location is practical. One can walk to Sacromonte and Albayzin (the older, more charming parts of Granada) from there (uphill, good workout!). One could even walk to the Alhambra, but that would be a much longer walk, also uphill, of course. Instead, we preferred to take bus 30, not far from the hostal. Easy (€1.20/person). On the day of our arrival, we also took a bus to the hostal from the main bus station (bus 3 drops you off at only a short walk away). Surely, there's accomodation in more charming locations (at Sacromonte, or even inside the Alhambra, starting at €90 a night), but for the price, Alcazaba seems alright. There are restaurants around, a small supermarket and an ice-cream/coffee shop that was always busy with customers.

The owner of the hostal speaks English, was friendly and took the time to tell us a bit about our surroundings and how to get to the Alhambra. We asked him where to eat and he recommended some restaurants not far from the hostal, which we actually never wound up going to. (The ones right nearby, we found out ourselves, were passable but not great).

Our room looked very decent, was pretty spacious and very clean. The walls seemed newly painted. The bathroom had a bathtub with shower. The two single beds were comfortable. Hanging on the wall, there was a very small, dinosaur TV (cathode tube), which we never turned on. The air conditioning worked very well. Some rooms have a standing fan instead of an A/C, so you may want to contact the hostal about this if it's very important to you. (We were told the difference between a room with a fan vs. an A/C is only 2 euros per night.) A little soap bar wasn't offered, as is customary in most hostals, but it's understandable, considering the price.

The room was relatively quiet and we slept well, better the second night than the first. The first night (or I should say, in the wee hours the next morning), a group of locals walked by at some point, singing and playing the guitar (remarkably well, I should say). Minutes later, they were gone, thank goodness. Then again, it was the weekend at Granada. Also at some point, early at night, we could hear some people in the next room who were speaking quite loudly, but that didn't last long and wasn't an issue. The second night was perfectly silent.

For those interested, I believe the hostal offers at the reception a computer with internet access.

In case you're looking for a Flamenco show, we went to a place called Los Jardines de Zoraya ( http://www.jardinesdezoraya.com/ ) in the Albayzin neighborhood. We walked there back and forth from the hostal, which took about 35 minutes uphill. We could have taken a taxi (very affordable in Spain), but preferred to walk. The dinner + flamenco menu was €35/person. The food was decent, the staff were friendly and the surroundings were beautiful. Surely, there must be less tourist-oriented flamenco clubs in Granada, but my wife and I (who know nothing about flamenco) enjoyed this show.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a standing fan instead of an A/C, so you may want to contact the hostal about this i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank panruisi
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Sometime during my trips I get surprised, but this was probably one of the greatest surprises. My budget was short and I needed to stay a week so I went online and choose one of the cheapest. This one. Once I got there I was surprises by its location, just a few meters of the Gran Via and the inicial impact with the hostal staff was really good. But the biggest surprise came went they showed me to my room. An ample two bed room with a small balcony extremely well cleaned and really confortable. There was no noise coming from the other rooms eventhought it was easter and it was all full. The staff were wonderfull every day of the week. Next time I'm in Granada, this is the place for me.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pedro C
Düsseldorf
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

The hostal Alcazaba was very clean, comfortable and well located at the center of Granada. The staff were very helpful without being pushy. Once we arrived in the evening while my husband went to bring some food. The owner wanted to leave, which would mean that no one could open when my husband would ring the bell. So we would have to go down and open as we had the keys (which we would not have minded). The owner himselp proposed to take the key and meet my husband on his way, so that we would not have to go down and open the door. That was really a nice and attentive idea and he insisted on doing so, although I did not want him to do it as I thought it was too copliated in case they did not meet and he would have to come back to the hostel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KELD_sseldorf
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

Hostal Alcazaba is a small, family owned pension in the centre of Granada - it is just off Gran Via, which is the main street leading to the centre of the town. My boyfriend and I stayed in a private en-suite room, which priced at 13 euros per person per night is very reasonable but upon arrival we were offered a room with air conditioning for 6 euros extra, which was definitely worth it considering it was over 40 degrees! It is quiet, secure, clean and close to bars/restaurants and a Carrefour. A great place to stay in Granada!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VictoriaThreadgold
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2009

The pension is simple, but what can you wait for a pension?
The main advantage is the central location, next to the buses going to the old city and the Alhambra.
The host is kind and friendly.
One problem though, we did not have hot water for one morning.

Would recommend it for budget travellers.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2007

Good clean simple hotel with friendly English speaking owner who made some excellent recommendations on food/attractions etc.. Close to attractions, though Granada is really not a very big city. It can get a bit noisy at night on the street but otherwise it is a nice simple hotel to spend the night.

• Liked — Friendly and very helpful owner
  • Disliked — Noise in the streets at night
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank starstorm88