“Good location.”

Funky Meridiano Hostel Granada
Ranked #65 of 94 Granada B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Nice hostel. Well located, friendly atmoshpere and very very helpful stuff. Rooms conditions so and so. Anyway, the place is well maintained and clean. Preferably for tourists, but not sure if for couples.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Funky Meridiano Hostel Granada

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We stayed in this hostel over Holy Week and Easter 2014. My opinions are generally coloured by the fact that we normally stay in proper hotels. Having said that, you pay for what you get. It was quite cheap at about €20 per head per night; this is a backpackers' hostel. Any criticism of the place is not a criticism of the staff, who are lovely.

We had originally booked into the Funky Granada hostel, on a personal recommendation, but we had an email telling us that the first place was being refurbished and we had been shifted to their other place, a couple of streets away.,

Originally we were three couples, myself and my wife (ground floor), elder daughter and fiancé (1st floor), and younger daughter and husband (2nd floor); after the first night the elder daughter and her young man moved out, because of the noise and other problems, into a four-star hotel a couple of blocks away.

My wife and I were in the room next to the front door, which seems to be the compulsory disabled-friendly room. It looked a bit the worse for wear. There is no way this room could have been used by someone in a wheelchair; it is at ground level and you can get a wheelchair in, but you couldn't wheel someone into the toilet. It would benefit from being rebuilt with a wet room rather than the present arrangement. A person with a disability would not have been able to use the shower.

In our room, there was no heating, no air conditioning, no TV. This makes it impractical in hot or really cold weather.

There were two single beds, of different heights. Plenty of bedding was provided, so much so that it took up half the space in the wardrobe. When we moved in the room smelled of sewage, so we had the windows permanently open, and there is no heating whatsoever, so it was occasionally quite cold, and my wife used 3 blankets.

The main room had a partition across part of it. The larger part had the beds and a wardrobe, a bedside table and two chairs; the smaller part had a cupboard which had a spare refrigerator in it, so it could not be closed, and spare bedding on top of that; it also had a shower cabinet. This was so small that I could not use it; the shower head could not be moved above chest height, and it shot water out sideways as the head leaked badly. There was mould inside the cabinet and water leaked out across the floor of the room.

A small room off the smaller part, next to the shower, had a toilet and sink. The toilet was not properly bolted to the floor so when you sat on it it shifted. There was a soap dispenser next to the sink with no soap in it so we asked for some and then discovered why there was none in it: it dripped one drop of soap onto the floor every ten seconds or so.

There was no electrical socket next to the bed apart from the one the bedside light was plugged into. I need a socket as I suffer from Sleep Apnoea and use a CPAP machine at night. I had to put one of the chairs near the head of the bed, and use one of the other two single sockets half way along the wall. There was no table so writing had to be done sitting on the bed and there was nowhere to put any clothes down apart from the wardrobe which only had one hanger in it when we arrived.

There is a bar next door to the hostel, which closed at 1 am. during Holy Week so until Saturday night we had a group outside our window every night, chatting loudly from 1 until about 1:15 am. Also the toilet window (which you may remember we had to keep permanently open to relieve the smell) opened onto the patio, where people were wont to sit and chat.

We were there ten nights; I think someone came in and cleaned the room the day before we left. The towels were not changed at all, though I dare say we probably could have asked for more. The toilet paper rolls are tiny and we had to ask for more each time they ran out.

Breakfast is included, but, as far as I could ascertain, this consisted of coffee/tea (available at any time of the day), and cereal or toast and jam. The bread provided was that Spanish white sliced bread that has the texture (and taste) of cotton wool (a shame when proper Spanish bread is so nice). After the first morning we went out for breakfast.

Our room being next to the front door, we could hear people coming in and out. If they did not help the door shut a bit it used to bang loudly. Also, as it was on the ground floor, and we couldn't close the window, as described above, when someone made a delivery to the bar next door and left their engine running we were subjected to the smell of diesel fumes.

Overall, I would say that to stay here you need to be prepared to rough it and put up with a certain amount of difficulty. The location is excellent and you are in the centre of Granada and within easy walking distance (even for a decrepit oldie like me) of a lot of tourist attractions, and a lot of good eating establishments.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David_S_Bushey
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

We had booked for 2 nights but left after one. Blanket was smelling of toe jam. Mattresses were full of lumps, we understand other people were up the whole night talking. Would have been better. Thank goodness we booked the Hammam in the morning, so that we could chill a bit. We do not recommend one to put a foot in this place. We had to pay upfront and we're not refunded for the last night.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarolinaMillin
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We booked into the Meridiano's sister hostel, Funky Granada, last year but were transferred to Meridiano due to refurbishment works. TripAdvisor ratings seemed good, so we accepted the transfer. We thought we had paid the agreed price up front when the original booking was made. When we arrived at Meridiano, we were told we hadn't paid (we later checked and this was correct), and were quoted a more expensive price to the one previously agreed. We weren't in a position to argue, not having access to documents which could prove otherwise, so accepted and went to see the room. The check-in process took ages, with lots of form filling and signing. I have not stayed in a European hostel for a few years, so maybe this is common practice now, but it is tedious when you arrive tired from travelling.

The room was extremely basic. The main problem areas were: Mould in the bathroom (this was also the case in one of the communal bathrooms I saw). TV did not seem to work at all and had no remote. Air conditioning unit didn't seem to work. I asked receptionist about this, who came up and took the remote away to change the batteries. She never brought it back but I then spotted that the unit was not plugged in. I plugged it in and it could be operated on the unit itself. Bed was really rickety and uncomfortable to sleep in. There was one long pillow between two people. We borrowed two pillows from other guests (friends in another room) but these did not have pillow cases and were filthy. We got quite cold in the night, as there was only a thin sheet on the bed. There was a duvet in the cupboard, but again, this was filthy and had no cover. Soap dispenser in the bathroom did not work (our friends said this was also the case in their room). The hostel sign was right outside our window and was kept on until about 6am, so there was a lot of light flooding into the room. Every time anyone came upstairs we could hear it. The worst aspect was a permeating smell of sewage throughout the hostel.

After a very poor night's sleep, we moved to a hotel nearby. The location of the hostel is brilliant, but there are plenty of other options in the area. Following some persuasion, he hostel agreed to refund most of what we had paid, minus the first and second nights.

Some of the problems may not bother those who are used to very basic accommodation, however, I think a lot of them could be fixed easily, such as cleaning the mould, providing clean linen on duvets and pillows, and making sure the soap dispensers work. The hostel seems to be run very lazily, so expect to have to ask for everything, or provide it yourself.

Room Tip: Room at front was really bad, can't speak for rooms at the back but they may be better.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I really enjoy to stay at here. The staff is really helpful and friendly. You can ask to reserve a taxi. And the place is very strategies. But the furniture and the floor is very old. I think I will look for another hostel near there if I go to Granada again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We arrived on a Friday evening without a booking, the only available space was in a shared dorm for 4 which was very cramped. The staff were exceptionally enthusiastic and helpful, and coffee, breakfast and wi-fi were free. The hostel offers a laundry service, they return your clothing washed and dried later in the day for a very reasonable 8 euro. Granada is a lively city, particularly at the weekend, and not everyone returns quietly to their rooms so be prepared for a disturbed night's sleep.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is a really good hostel. I stayed in a single room with breakfast included for a very low price, great value. The staff was very friendly and helpful. A kitchen is available for cooking. Good atmosphere, easy to meet people. The hostel offeres different activities each day, I had other plans and wasn't able to participate in any of them but would be nice to do during another stay. Only complaint was the bed was average.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo