“Arguably the worst experience that we have ever had!”

Los Girasoles I Hotel
Ranked #80 of 96 Granada B&B and Inns
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Arguably the worst experience that we have ever had!”
Reviewed September 19, 2010

When we first arrived in Granada we drove around for no less than an hour and a half trying to find the Los Girasoles Hotel that we actually booked into through Laterooms, attempting to follow the signs to Los Girasoles I and II. Having been round the one way system again and again I telephoned the number on the reservation form to ask whether we were booked to stay in I or II. When I eventually managed to find someone who did speak English and asked the question his response was 'one' after which he immediately put the telephone down on me before I could ask anything else, I was furious. Eventually, fuming with frustration, I parked in the car park in the street for the address of the hotel and we set off dragging our cases on foot. Of course we still had no idea which Girasoles was which so, when we eventually located the hotel, we were innevitably then directed to what turned out to be the hostel.

One of the main reasons that I booked the hotel was that it claimed on-site car parking, however the reason that both hotel and hostel were utterly impossible to locate is that they were stuck up tiny one way graffiti daubed side streets that were only a car's width wide, so I cannot possibly understand how either could boast on-site car parking facilities (which should been charged at 15 Euro instead of the 20 we paid in the public car park).

1st and foremost my objection was that we booked a hotel for which the rack rate was listed as £166 but we were actually located into the Los Girasoles Hostel and NOT the hotel (I was sufficiently angry that I made a formal complaint to Laterooms). You can see from the pictures that the room was a tiny box room with a 'bathroom' whose view was actually of a lightwell.

My booking specified a double room with a bath but, as you can see from the attached, the room had the smallest bathroom you've ever seen which only had the most basic shower. The picture of the shower was taken with my back pressed up against the wall and the the camera set to maximum wide angle, so that gives you some idea of what we're talking about here in terms of bathroom size.

The door was paper thin and, having a large gap at the bottom, made us feel as if we were sleeping in the main corridor which was the other side of the door. We were repeatedly woken throughout the night as people came and went from their rooms.

What laughingly could be described as towels (they were the size of a standard UK hand towel) were both utterly threadbare and monogrammed (presumably lest we decide to steal them). The bed was basically a camp bed and the bedding was of the lowest grade (basically what you would expect in a back-packers hostel).

To cap it all off, breakfast was utter rubbish (no fresh pastries, no hot food, no fresh orange juice etc) there was no-one there who spoke English and the coffee machine (which was also supposed to do hot water for tea) delivered tepid drinks.

Needless to say we left the hotel in utter disgust. Of course we might have complained, but none of the staff spoke English.

Taken in the round, I have to say that this was one of the worst hotel experiences that we have ever had. My wife broke down in tears upon arrival (she was a severe back problem which is why, if she's in pain, the bath is important as a means of reducing the swelling).

When I made the booking at least, the hotel was stated as being a four star hotel. The reality was a nightmare, and had a very detrimental affect on our much anticipated visit to Granada and the Alhambra.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GlobeTrottingBrit_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Domazlice, Czech Republic
Reviewed April 7, 2010

+ This is great hostal in center of Granada, it is located in side street so there is quiet. Very nice interior and design, perfect value for money, especially out of main season are prices very good. Everything is very clean, modern, pleasant, friendly staff. I can absolutely recommend! During our visit there was bakery oposite of hostal and many possibilities to take snack in sorroundings. You are a few steps from historical places.
- there are no additional services but if you need only nice place where to stay, los girasoles is for you.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed August 19, 2008

This hotel is a member of the Choice hotel properties. I reserved using points, and my paperwork said Comfort Hotel Los Girasoles. However, when the taxi took us to the address, it was called Hostal Los Girasoles. The area is okay.
Anyway, it is not expensive, there is no breakfast, but it is clean and comfortable, and had a decent shower. It is not far to the main tourist areas, but not convenient (with luggage) to the bus that takes you to the airport. I believe the taxi fare was about 20 euros.
A fair choice if you are on a budget!

• Liked — using points
  • Disliked — no elevator
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family