“Nice hotel, but it is not special enough to be considered 5*'s”

Barcelo Granada Congress
Ranked #20 of 123 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I visited this hotel with friends. Having heard that it was 5* my expectations were high. The hotel is clean and the rooms are nice, but it is lacking in something that makes it grand. There is a large selection for breakfast, but there is a few flaws. The milk only comes in full fat for coffee, and the chopped, ready to eat fruit is from a tin. My sleep quality in this hotel was low. I stayed on the 10th floor and it was a windy night. Unfortunately for me the seal on the window was not tight and there was a constant whistling noise in my room. It is a nice hotel, but it does not deserve 5* status.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank skandwm

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We checked out from this terrible hotel. We should have stayed me and my GF for 2 nights but I couldn't take it.

The bathroom was broken and the water stayed in the shower tab. They sent me somebody to fix it but he couldn't. I could have asked to change the room but it's not worth it because we were leaving anyway.

The trash bin in the bathroom was broken, they sent me somebody to replace it after I complained.

Double bed is not in full size.

The staff don't talk nice and they asked me what do I want after I was complaining and they didn't apologize for their reputation sake..

If you want to pay for 5 stars hotel you want to enjoy your money, but in this hotel you pay €15 per day for parking and €25 for using the SPA for 60 minutes. Not a good deal! Go and get 3 stars instead.

Finally, the breakfast is really terrible, I could eat much nicer in any place in down town. Too few sorts of food and very low quality. You cannot choose were you sit to eat. A guy comes and tell you were you can sit because they want to keep most of the room clean and they don't want to pay extra cleaning service.

With their bad deals, I am sure they are going to collapse soon. It looks they already have economic problem, they even lock the toilette paper.

Bad deal!!!!!

I don't recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelerGuy78
Reviewed March 12, 2013

STAFF NOT FRIENDLY at all ! The entrance, bedroom and bathroom had a great design and were really beautiful and VERY CLEAN, but it was more like a 3 to 4 stars hotel, things were broken here and there caused us some inconvenience, especially in the shower. Moreover the bad was really too small.

BAD BREAKFAST ! BAD SERVICE ! After our first breakfast we got very disappointed and we checked out even though we were supposed to stay more. Bad quality buns and pastries, fatty salted preparations, no fresh fruits (just fruits conserved in can with sirop), not dark bread, no dry fruits, artificial juices, bad service, all the tables were used and even though the restaurant was not full at all we had hard time to find an clean spot.

TOO EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT IT IS ! The parking and the pool are require extra fees (15 euros/day for the parking, and around 60 euros for 1 hour in the small indoor pool and jakuzzi)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Our group stayed here for one night. Fist I am impressed by the nice looking overall red decor, but after I found there are stains on the top cover of the bed... Not impressed in a good way. We further found the next layer of the bed is kind of sandy and some looked like snack crumbs. I called the reception (and the phone list is not written in English so I guess it would be 0 or 9 to reach them), the staffs are fast in response and they changed the sheets for us. However, I think it's either laundry or storage problem so the sheets are not clean enough... I also agree the wifi is weak but somehow workable from my room.

Room Tip: Check bed sheets and if you want to test wifi signal, test it by the desk.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Nice enough place but I was a bit dismayed when I first arrived in my room, opened the window and a dead cockroach dropped out. There was also the 'residue' from the previous occupant down the front of the lavvy! They cleaned it as soon as I complaind but there was no apology. There was also a power cut while I was there (not complaining about that, it happens) but it was in the middle of a bright and sunny day. As soon as I left the room it was completely dark because of the layout of the building and the lack of emergncy lighting. Luckily the cleaning staff were about so they pointed me in the right direction. Had it been a fire I wouldn't be typing this because I'd be dead! The restuarant isn't worth bothering with either!

Room Tip: If you're willing to pay for 5 stars, go elsewhere...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mr W
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I spent several weeks at this hotel on 2 separate trips. If you travel frequently for business, this hotel is not at the level that you're used to.
You'll probably get 2 twin beds in your room and they're hard. All TV channels are in Spanish with the expception of CNN International and BBC World. And you may not get those - you'll have to have the front desk call a technician to get them to appear.
Housekeeping is inconsistent. Sometimes you'll get soap, a bathrobe and othe amenities and sometimes not. Be sure to bring sanitary wipes and wipe the room before you get too comfortable as cleaning is superficial only.
The food is not good and the menu is limited - room service is lacking as well as you may or may not get everything you order. Best to walk to a restaurant for dinner.
Wifi is very weak, almost unusable in the room.
This hotel may have been good at one time, but it's now dated and in dire need of upgrading and upkeep. If you need a place to stay for just a day or 2 for holiday, this will suffice. But if you're here longer term, look for a more contemporary hotel that is capable of meeting minimum guest requirements.

Room Tip: Check your room for the following first: wifi strength, make sure the shower water doesn't flow...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank wiremom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Helpful staff, comfy beds and great rooms. The only problem with our room it smelt smoky but we didn't bother complain as couldn't be bothered to change rooms once unpacked. Breakfast was average but a bonus it was free with the room. The staff were very helpful. Would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012