“Overrated”

Ranked #38 of 92 Granada B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“Overrated”
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

We booked this hostel for 1 night stay in Granada. We picked it mainly due to good score on tripadvisor as well as booking.com together with its excellent location.

Location itself is good and convenient, less than 5min to Cathedral, tourist info center, bus station to airport/Albaycin/train/long distance bus station.

The owner showed strong hospitality ESP to us Chinese and very nice and talkative also gave us tips.

However I still think this hostel is overrated and overpriced: (actually it's the worst accommodation for my whole Spain trip)
- no 24hr reception
- staff except for the owner speak very limited english
- room is very small
- hot water in bathroom is even not sufficient for quick shower for 1 person, my friend is obliged to take shower in shared bathroom outside our room
- noisy at night given the bar on ground floor and the thin wall not soundproof( we Dan gear clearly the conversation on corridor)
- no lift and u have to take luggage yourself for 2stories
- wifi is very weak and slow.

Won't recommend this place

• Stayed September 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
Ubeda, Spain
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My girlfriend and I stepped in this hostel by chance on our very first day in Granada, while we were looking for a place to stay a couple of days. Luckily for us, it complied with all our requisites: it was cheap, central and clean. The owner of the place was very nice and welcoming, and was always willing to help. He also gave us useful directions around the city as well as information about the many touristic attractions Granada has to offer. We had such a nice time in the hostel that I decided to leave a comment for it on the web. So here you go: if you're looking for a cheap & convenient place right in the center of Granada, look no further than this!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xtooof
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Thank you so much Javier, you were so helpful and friendly. Personal service went a long way. The room was spotless and very affordable. The location could not have been better. We will be sure to stay here next time we are in Granada. Alice, Jenna, Rachael (and our silent friend)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
İstanbul
Reviewed September 9, 2011

It was cheap to stay that is why we chose this place.
The location is great. It is right in the middle of the city.
Parking is not available. It was so hard for us to find a parking spot.
Although the owner of the pension was a nice person, I did not like the place at all.
The room was weırd. Bed was not comfortable. Bathroom was not new.
You have to pay xtra 5 euros to use air condition. That is most weirdest thing I have ever experienced.
Just stay if you mind money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank uuyansoy
london
Reviewed June 26, 2009

I stayed here for nearly a week in a single room with shared bathroom for €20 per night (€25 on weekends and maybe the high season??). The owner is really friendly and helpful. The room was nice and clean. The shared bathrooms were always kept very clean, and I never needed to wait to use the bathroom. Is just a 2 minute walk to the Plaza Nueva so very convenient. They have doubles as well so should cater to all budget travellers. Will definitely stay here again when I´m next in Granada.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Barcelona
Reviewed January 7, 2009

After seeing positive reviews here and in Let's Go Spain and Portugal 2007, I booked a room at the Hostal Antares for two nights in Granada. I was hoping to find a cheap, basic, private hostal room for our stay....
When we arrived, I noticed that the comforter was COVERED with HAIR! I pulled it back hoping that the other layers would be cleaner, but each layer (3 blankets and 2 sheets) were filled with hair (from all parts of the body). I talked to the owner and asked him for new sheets. He went and got a new set, but they were completely full of hairs as well. He started cursing and explained that they had a new cleaning lady who had only been working there for two days and that he was going fire her immediately. He left for a while and came back fuming...He said that he looked through ALL the sheets and blankets and they were ALL FULL OF HAIR! He gave us new sheets out of a plastic bag, but didn't have clean blankets (SO WE HAD TO USE THE HAIRY ONES). He also explained that he had just called the cleaning lady to fire her (which made me feel really uncomfortable! If it were me, I would have talked with her and given her another chance...And although I respect his decision to run his business as he chooses, I don't want to feel responsible for someone losing their job while I'm trying to enjoy my vacation). After giving us the new sheets, he did not even offer to help us make the bed! He just left!

(Also, there were only two other guests in the hostal. I find it hard to believe that the cleaning woman who had been there for two days had washed all of the sheets in a near-empty hostal! In other words, I think the dirtiness goes back farther than her employment.)

Aside from not feeling relaxed in our dirty room with dirty blankets that we tried not to touch, there are a few other terrible things about this hostal:
1. The heater is automatic (controlled by the owner), which means that it is turned on at 10pm (not sooner) and was turned off around 5 am. Personally, I like to turn on the heat when I'm cold, when I'm going to take a shower, etc., which did not fall within his hours of usage.
2. The SHOWERS were ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. There were two on the floor where we stayed (1st). In one, the piece holding up the shower head was broken, so it pointed directly at the wall and could not be moved. In the other, there were INSECT EGGS!
3. We happened to be alone on our floor, but when he came in and out, it echoed a lot. I can only imagine the noise level if there were more guests!

Really, really, really, DON'T STAY AT THIS HOSTAL! IT'S AWFUL!

• Disliked — EVERYTHING! THE HAIRS IN THE SHEETS AND BLANKETS! THE DISGUSTING SHOWERS!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rachelBCN
Chicago
Reviewed December 3, 2008

We stayed in the Hostal Antares because it was in a nice location and it was a lot cheaper than other hotels in the same location, and it had a private bathroom for 40€ a night.
Indeed, it has an excellent location close to the Moroccan street (full of little shops and nice coffee shops), close to the main plaza, and close to nice neighborhoods that have good views of the Alhambra.
Our room, in a 9th floor with no elevator, was small. The TV didn't work and the bed sheets were not clean. But they changed them.
Overall, for the price and location, I think I would stay there again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple