“Unique stay, reasonably priced”

Hotel Casa del Capitel Nazari
Ranked #14 of 122 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Hotel Casa del Capitel Nazari only for a night as my stay in Grenada was very short. I chose the hotel for history and location. The hotel is situated on a very narrow street up several large stairs so you have to carry your luggage a bit as the taxi cannot get to the entrance. The staff was very friendly and helpful but the hotel was undergoing some construction on the first floor so it was a bit dusty. The room was a good size and so was the bathroom although the bathroom was very worn. The one issue I had with the hotel is that my room was on the 2nd floor facing the courtyard and when I came home at night, the hallway lights were not working and it was very dark and uncomfortable. The hotel was well situated next to the plaza which housed all of the touristy restaurants and taxis (I found much better restaurants just a few streets away). Also, I
was able to walk to the Alhambra - although be prepared its completely uphill. I didn't mind but the walk wouldn't be for everyone. Overall, this is a no-frills hotel I'm a good location.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Juleszzznyc
CASACAPITEL, Manager at Hotel Casa del Capitel Nazari, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank your for your kind review.

Your are right, all Albaicin area is from XIII Century and all quarter is an arabian constrution, streets are narrows for keep cool in Summer, this is part of Granada charming. Thank you for you understanding.

Fortunately we finished reparations that we had during your stay and now all courtyard is shiny.

You will see on your next stay.

Consider this your home.

Ángela

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Beautifully restored building. Sets the mood for the visit to the Albaicin and Alhambra. We had a nice room with a comfortable bed. Bathroom was fine. Staff were friendly and helpful.breakfast was very good. Bit of a walk from Plaza Nueva dragging our suitcases. Overall would definitely this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank john m
CASACAPITEL, Gerente at Hotel Casa del Capitel Nazari, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank for your kind review.

Consider this your home.

Ángela Caracuel

Reviewed May 25, 2013

This hotel is in a historical building, which set a lovely scene for our stay.
We had a great room out the back with no surrounding noise, except occasionally could hear our neighbours faintly talking.
The room was clean and decent size, but the shower is very small.
The breakfast was included in our price and was decent variety of food, they also have a free self service afternoon tea everyday.
The location was fabulous, in walking distance to all the local restaurants in the old town and provides a great view of the Alhambra at night.
The staff were very friendly and accommodation to our needs.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ErinNic M
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a remodeled old building so that is an interesting experience. Rooms are not luxurious, but serviceable...mostly, you won't spend time inside the hotel, so it really doesn't matter! The location is wonderful. It is walking distance to everything, including difficult climb to the San miguel viewpoint of Alhambra and walk to Alhambra. Also only few minutes from Catedral and lots of restaurants.

Room Tip: Any room would do here.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank vamsally
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for two nights, and below is a summary of my experience:

- Great location, near Plaza Nueva, cabs, and buses to Alhambra. It's also quiet around the hotel because you're set back a little bit from the hotel.

- My single room was a good size and enough space for me, including a double bed, which isn't always found in single hotel rooms overseas.

- Wifi is available but not very reliable or a strong signal. I wasn't using it all of the time, but had trouble calling home or using it for research.

- There was a rather, strong, odor coming from the bathroom and a sanitation box attached to the toilet. I have no idea what this does, but the smell was really strong, and was detectable throughout the room, all the time.

- The noise level in the hotel was also, really loud. Really loud. Not only from surrounding rooms, but from just in the hotel in general. My room was near the breakfast room and noise started from staff at 6:30am at the latest (breakfast starts at 7:30am). This was the biggest problem because on vacation, I didn't want to be woken up that early and by staff who didn't try to be quiet, knowing rooms were right around that area.

- TV was in the room but didn't work. Again, not something I would be using regularly, but at night, was nice to have, or would have been.

- Staff was nice, but had trouble communicating in English. This lead to a few miscommunications.

Overall, this was a clean, cost-efficient place to stay and it had a great location. Those are all pluses, but the odor and consistent noise issue were big drawbacks. To be honest, I don't know if I would stay again or recommend it, but it depends what you are looking for. Those drawbacks are big ones for me but may not be for others.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Bayjb
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I was traveling with a couple of friends, and coordinating trains/buses/hotels around Easter weekend four years ago was a challenge! Searching online, I found that Capitel Nazari had the last room available for three people for the time we had in Granada. But I was so pleasantly surprised at how lovely the building was, and so charmed by the neighborhood, that it might have been my first choice had I been familiar with it. As several reviewers note, there is no access by car; it is, after all, a 16th century building and the alley/steps are suitable for donkeys, but none of the taxi companies offer burro portage. Wheeled luggage is a must. It's convenient, fair-priced, and close to my favorite restaurant below Plaza Nueva. Internet and plumbing worked fine. My only wish for a change would have been to get just coffee in the mornings, without being obligated for breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank E W
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were 2 couples in our 60s travelling around Andalusia. This hotel is very well-placed and attractively furnished. A beautiful building which has retained many original features. But our room (28) on the first night was very small, and the bathroom was even smaller - the shower wasn't great either. We had a double bed and it was very uncomfortable, in that every time my husband moved I got woken up.. So I asked for another room for our second night (30). Which was fine. Breakfast was €10 Euros and we ate out the first day, but in the hotel the second. It was one of those weird/multi-cultural breakfasts.

Room Tip: Don't have Room 28. Small, uncomfortable bed and very small bathroom.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple