“Perfect location for a budget”
Review of Hostal Atenas

Hostal Atenas
Ranked #48 of 93 Granada B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Stayed there in 2006 and had a great experience.
This is a perfect place if you're on a budget. Its location is great, right in the middle of everything, close to attractions, shops, restaurants and transportation.

The street was busy at night and there was digging and building going on during the day but we didn't have any trouble sleeping with double windows and thick curtains.

The rooms were very basic, but clean and comfortable and we felt welcome.

We had booked an evening visit to the Alhambra but found another great deal for a day tour through the reception and the staff were very helpful and provided good information.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed March 27, 2012

If you're looking for a cheap, simple and clean hotel, and you want to reach from it all the main attractions of this beautiful city...well you have to choose this hotel. It's situated on the main road of the city, Gran Via Colòn, where you can take the bus if you want to go to Alhambra, from where you can get to the Cathedral in 2 mins walking, from where you can get to the shopping street in 5 mins, and from where you can get to the arabian Albayzin Barrio in 10 mins walking!
Only one fault: the wi-fi connection was too slow.
Great the hotel and great the city!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Clean and cheap accomodation, one of my best in south Spain. Hotel style accomodation in the center of Granada.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Vendy007
Reviewed December 29, 2011

If you want something cheap and clean with an excellent location for exploring Granada, this is the place!

We are a family of 4 comprising 2 adults and 2 small children and we loved this Hostel. We stayed here during Holy week in April 2011 and loved it.

We paid €50 per night for the 4 of us (room only) there were 6 single beds in our room and an adequate ensuite bathroom along with soap, shampoo and towels at TV and aircon!

The hostel is within 5 minute's walk of the centre of town and there are lots of places to eat and drink.

I would reccommend that you ask for a room at the top of the hostel as we could see part of the Alhambra Palace from our room over the terracotta roof tops. Although, do be aware especially if you have small children that there are tiny balconies that are 6 floors up where children would possibly not be safe. We kept our windows locked so that the children were safe and there was aircon in our room so we didn't need to open the window.

All in all this place is clean and great value for money. When we return to Granada we would stay here!

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the top of the hostel to get food views!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2011

We too were with an Intrepid group and most of the group suffered bad experiences with this hotel. The lift didn't work, fine, that happens, 5 floors is tough though. The room had a makeover but was near the laundry and the noise of the workers. The shower cubicle was absurd, I shudder to think what a large person would do. The water from the shower escaped onto the new tile floor to create a flood and then disappeared to the ceilings of the rooms below because the tiles were not grouted. We went to bed to discover the sheets had not been changed and were dirty and covered with male hairs. We politely requested clean sheets for the next night from the receptionist who appeared rude and disinterested. We slept on top of the covers. The next night after being out all day, we arrived back at the room late to discover the dirty sheets had not been changed. Other members of this group had lice in their bed. The group voted the hotel as disgraceful and the service rude.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed here as part of an Intrepid tour group. My room smelt heavily of washing detergent since I was very close to the housekeeping area/washing machines. Since I basically used the room as a place to rest my head and spent absolutely no time in my room - this was fine for me but if you get a room close to this area I would reccomend trying to change. Overall my room was clean, towels had been laundered but one of them had a bit of a stain so I exchanged for a new one, the size of the room was adequate for two average sized adults however I have to say the shower stall was very compact! I am a petite female and it was tight for me but I managed - maybe a bit of a challenge for other travellers. Other than all this the location was fantastic - walking distance to all the sights and restaurants, there is actually an alley right behind the restaurant which is home to tonnes of restaurants. A good stay overall, in that hostal staff were friendly, wifi connection available with a code, a great little cafe for breakfast right next door. Don't expect luxury if you are staying here and at the same time (although we saw lots of backpackers) this is not a hostel but rather a hotel with no frills.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the housekeeping laundry facilities
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I've been there twice, this time on my own, the other one with a friend. The location is very good, it's very close to the center of the town and to the most important places, shopping, restaurants. It's a simple hotel, but also quite cheap. The single room was a bit small and minimalistic, same for the bathroom, I have better memories of the double one, that one was bigger. There's wifi for free but it was incredibly slow, it was almost impossible to use it. You can use a computer with internet I the lobby, but you have to pay for it. If you want to use the remote control for your tv, you have to leave a deposit. The lift is a bit slow, there's just one for a big building shared by different hostels. No breakfast offered. I had a better experience there a couple of years ago, for the price I paid my latest stay was ok, too.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo