“Comfortable and nice little balcony!”
Review of Plaza Nueva Hotel

Plaza Nueva Hotel
Ranked #76 of 122 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed March 18, 2014

It is a charming hotel, comfortable and clean. The people at the front desk were nice and helping. It is located in the Plaza Nueva which is very nice and has lots of bars and restaurants. We were very satisfied by the location and by what the hotel had to offer: comfy beds and clean bathrooms. I would go back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Granada is a huge place - masses of shopping areas, restaurants & bars in many suburbs and clusters. The belief that Plaza Nueva is the centre of Granada is more of a historical judgement than a contemporary one.

This hotel is amongst the streets off Plaza Nueva, which in turn provides access to the steep pathways up to The Alhambra. It is an area stuffed full of bars, restaurants and coffee shops, and as other reviewers have noticed, very noisy at night. So the advice would be, that unless you are likely to be one of those generating noise at 3am, go and stay in a different part of the city. There is no shortage of alternatives.

The hotel itself is as you would expect for a budget 3 star - rooms could be cleaner, beds could be comfier, lift could be newer - but in a world where you should always relate what you get to the price you pay for it, I have no complaints.

Would I stay here again? No - but only because Granada has many alternatives, and it would be nice to be in a different part of the city. Would I recommend it? At the price we paid (through easyjet holidays) I certainly would.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the Plaza rather than the alleyway
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KevinRoos
Reviewed December 6, 2013

In the square at the base of the hill up to the Alhambra, just round the corner from the cathedral, this is a great location. We had a lovely big room with traditional furniture & 2 huge French windows with balconies overlooking the square. The bathroom was quite large, also done in a traditional style. The square below is vibrant, with cafes, musicians, etc. & with a fountain in the middle. The square wasn't too noisy in the evenings & early night time, but that may have had a lot to do with the sub-zero temperatures ( the fountain was frozen in the mornings!), but there was quite a lot of noise in the very early mornings from delivery & street cleaning vehicles.
The Alhambra is a fairly steep 20 minute walk up the hill to the main entrance, but mini buses leave the square opposite the hotel every 10 minutes or so.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank patricia K
Reviewed October 19, 2013

In the heart of the 'play' district of granada, I found this was the perfect retreat after besting my cousins at all night drinking games, or dancing on the tables at the trendier end of the square. The summer nights on the square can be loud and busy, though I had no problem sleeping because i was normally the last one on the square.

The staff were very friendly and I survived on my pigeon spanish and their pigeon english. The rooms were cool even in high summer, kept very clean. No food. Pity, though with the near by eateries left me full as an egg most of the time.

It's my preferred sleeping point in Granada, but you have to go there with some expectation of late nights and late mornings.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mr_G1666
Reviewed October 18, 2013

From what I have read, many other contributors find the noise of the square outside a real issue. I must admit, that wasn't my experience at all. My room was extremely dark anyway, with just one window out onto the side street, and when I closed the shutters, it was like being in a womb. I found myself waking at 1.30 in the afternoon!

The same darkness that made it so easy to sleep was a slight nuisance when it came to getting ready to go out, as fixing my make-up was real guess work - an overhead light would have helped a lot! But the foyer is charming, the staff helpful, and as all I wanted was a place to set out from in the morning and come back to at night, this hotel worked very well for me. Despite the inconveniences, I would go back.

Room Tip: If you want sleep, choose something at the back and make sure the room has shutters.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is a comfortable hotel ideally situated for a visit to the Alhambra and other places of interest in the city. There are plenty of restaurants nearby. I found the staff to be helpful and friendly. The hotel does not provide meals, but can arrange breakfast for you in neighbouring premises - really, you'd be better to go and find it yourself.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AllenSEEngland
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is as bad as bad can get. The only positive was the location to the Alhambra and that we only had to endure it for one night. Upon arriving, we were greeted with a very unhappy looking receptionist who seemed put out by our questions. Firstly the boyfriend asked if there was WiFi to which we got a confused look (there isn't any), we then asked if she could show us on the map where we wanted to go-that got the same "I don't understand you look". We then went to our room which was two single beds instead of a double, fair enough we switched hassle free. The room was covered in dust and the fridge was like it hadn't been cleaned in months. I asked the receptionist if she had an iron, to which I got a look like she wanted to hit me over the head with one (no iron). As I read some other reviews for this hotel, I wonder if we just came on a bad day with a bad receptionist and the cleaners day off.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple