“I loved my teachers ...”

Escuela Carmen de las Cuevas
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1984 as first Spanish School in Granada, Carmen de las Cuevas is the ideal place to learn Spanish and dive into the fascinating world of flamenco: the Spanish Language school is acknowledged by the Instituto Cervantes as well as a leading Flamenco Center. The school buidling is a charming maze of caves, staircases, terraces and rooms and located facing the Alhambra, in the quarter Albayzin declared by the UNESCO as a cultural heritage site, a historic neighbourhood in Granada widely recognised for its beauty, history, and architecture.
London, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“I loved my teachers ...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

I went to Carmen de las Cuevas chiefly to do flamenco, and signed up for two weeks of Advanced level Technique and Advanced level Choreography - 1.5hr classes each. Classes are taught in Spanish. My teachers did not disappoint. They were Javier Martos on choreo and Estefania Martinez on technique. There were 4-6 students in the Advanced class and the teachers were attentive and spent time explaining what we were doing, not merely demonstrating it. Estefania, especially, is a very engaging teacher. I found the levels appropriate for me. There are 3 levels of flamenco at Carmen de las Cuevas - Beginners, Intermediate, and Advanced. From what I could tell, the students in Beginners and Advanced knew they were supposed to be there, and Intermediate formed a big swath of middle ground with quite varied skill.

For the hell of it, I also booked myself onto a language class in the morning. My teacher was Juana and I thought she was energetic and excellent overall. I was in the Elementary level, and wasn't entirely sure it was right for me. There were 8 in the class, and I was easily the "best" student, and I talked all the time in order to make it challenging for myself. When I asked Juana about my level, she insisted that I was in the right class. I enjoyed it nevertheless. The revision was very useful. And with the high level of dance, it was good not to have the additional stress.

When you take classes at the school, you can use their library resources ... although I didn't take advantage of this. I was too tired at the end of the day. The school also organises cultural outings. I went to a tablao where Estefania was performing, and it was wonderful and very inspiring.

I booked my accommodation through the school for convenience - an apartment with a view. It was in Sacromonte and had a lovely view of the Alhambra from the front steps. If I did it again, I would book my own place. I found the apartment very basic. It was ok, but I didn't want to spend alot of time in it.

Visited March 2011