“Amazing Staff”
Review of Hotel America

Hotel America
Ranked #71 of 122 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The staff here were incredibly helpful and really made the difference to us.

The room and bed were small but we were here for one night and picked the hotel for location and on that count it was great.

The parking is a bit of a hassle but i didn't mind too much. On the strength of previous reviews we ignored the breakfast and ate brunch at the parador. If you want a friendly convenient and peaceful place this is it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 1, 2013

A great location if you want to experience the Alhambra, from early in the morning till late on a moonlit night, on a budget (The Parador would be first choice if you have lots of discretionary income). Loads of character, including having to lug your suitcases up the stairs as there is no elevator ... luckily, I was on the first floor. Be aware that you are well away from the restaurants and attractions of Granada, and be prepared to have to walk down and up a fairly steep slope to get to the Plaza Neuva and the Albayzin. There is no dinner served, just breakfast and I believe light refreshments during the day. There are some restaurants in the vicinity, but expect a good 5-10 minute walk up slope and I expect they would be on the pricey side. Would not be suited for young children and elderly travellers. Has a lovely vine covered patio with trickling fountains which takes you out of the jostling crowds just meters away on the outside. Breakfast is generous, basic Spanish fare, pan, croissant, jams, Serrano ham, cheese, fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee. Staff are very friendly and helpful, and though their English is limited, you can be understood.

Room Tip: I had a single room which was cozy but had atmosphere. It overlooked the street which meant I had a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank KamaMac
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Initially we were dismayed when we arrived at this hotel after a long trip to find a pretty basic room up lots of stairs with no fridge for our 16 month old daughter's food or kettle to make her bottles. In addition, we were told the hotel was no longer serving food and there was nowhere nearby to eat. However, when we expressed this to the front desk in a French/English dialogue they were so apologetic and found more than adequate solutions to these problems. They really turned our visit into a positive experience and a basic hotel became a charming traditional stay over the two nights. Every person we encountered at the front desk were unbelievably nice.

However, while we were more than happy with our stay, and it was very convenient for our visit to the Alhambra, we would have preferred to stay somewhere with more access to shops and restaurants so we could have something to do outside of the Alhambra. This has nothing to do with the hotel and purely a personal preference point.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rachael R
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Had a very pleasant lunch in the garden restaurant during our visit to Alhambra. Although we did not book it was obvious that during the busy season you would definitely need to!! A bit pricey but a lovely menu in a relaxing location.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FAMLEE
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed two nights in Granada--the first night we splurged on the Parador and then downgraded to the Hotel America the second night. In hindsight, I wished we'd just stayed one night and splurged only on the Parador. You could (and we should have) arrive very early at the Alhambra and park in the Parador if you were going to check in that day. Take the first tour possible--8:30, I think. Enjoy a leisurely morning tour of the Alhambra, walk back to the Parador/Hotel America area, have lunch at Hotel America (much cheaper than the Parador food, especially if you just stick to the sandwiches) and then check into the Parador after lunch for the night. You can enjoy your afternoon, evening there (beautiful grounds, beautiful views from the restaurant), take a night tour of the Alhambra (which we did) and still get a beautiful sleep in the lovely Parador, enjoy the very very good breakfast buffet and leave the next day. My review is probably tainted by the fact that we moved into Hotel America after one night in the Parador--it's an unfair comparison because Hotel America was maybe a third of the price. But... our room was so so basic (no t.v., wifi only works in the common areas, bathroom/shower not modern, our bed squeaked almost every time we moved, the hotel doesn't have good sound proofing, no elevator if you have heavy luggage, etc.) The staff here were lovely, so I feel a bit churlish giving it a bad review. I'm usually a bargain hunter/shopper. But this one just felt like a downgrade too low.

If you do want to try this, just be prepared for a total no frills experience with a great location. It is absolutely amazing walking around the Alhambra grounds freely at night. That's what you are paying for.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank BostonTravellingMom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Hotel America costs a little more than you might spend at another hotel somewhere in town, but the location of Hotel America INSIDE the Alhambra complex is unbeatable. My husband, two teenagers, and I stayed there last summer and wouldn't trade the experience for anything. To be able to walk around the Alhambra in the evenings, watch the sunset from the fortress walls, and take a siesta in the afternoon without leaving the Alhambra, is priceless. How is the hotel itself though? A little old and tired, but very charming rooms with antique furniture. My kids thought it was amusing that the hotel restaurant patio was right outside our room window - I mean, there were people eating at a table right beneath our ground level window. Hotel staff was nice and spoke English. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Since we're a family of four it was nice that they had a queen bed plus two twins.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ToEuropeWithKids
Reviewed July 19, 2013

For some reason, this place has been getting a bad rep for being what it is which is a small, family run, old, european hotel. If you've read any of my reviews, you will know that I travel budget except when the experience outweighs the cost. This place was a relative steal.

I have dreamt about visiting the alhambra so for me staying on the grounds was something I would have paid a lot for, however, I didn't have to. It came to about 70euro a night for a single room (the parador next door is easily 4-5 times that, if you are even able to get reservations).

I had a decently sized, extremely clean 1st floor room with a balcony overlooking the outside and a pristine bathroom. The restaurant is more of a cafeteria really, off the nice little courtyard/terrace with grape vines growing around. I had a simple sandwich there one afternoon and a glass of wine which was acceptable for the price (under 10 euro). The parador is a few hundred feet to the left as you leave the hotel America entrance, so it's easy to get to a finer dining restaurant. I did that for another lunch and it was decent. If I hadn't been sick (flu) I would have gone down to the town or the albaicin for a meal.

I was a little apprehensive as these bad reviews describe unhelpful staff and tiny rooms. In reply, I will say that when I booked the room online, they give you exact room specifications so if you are unable to understand metric I would suggest a simple conversion tool into square foot online. Also the staff was very sweet and were extra helpful when I was sick and alone. They let me into my room early, made me hot chocolate etc. I would very much like to go back one day. Perhaps if you have small children you might want to head to a neighborhood hilton or something but this place is an experience not to be missed

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo