New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Friendly, welcoming and the price is right includes free wi-fi!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal Austria

Hostal Austria
Ranked #21 of 95 Granada B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly, welcoming and the price is right includes free wi-fi!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

I was on a road trip by car in the south of Spain, last Dec 2011, 2 weeks before Christmas, my destination was Granada, and the reason of this trip was to visit the Alhambra Castle and grounds, because I had heard so much about their landscape gardens, I have been wanting to visit it for a few years.
Thanks to my iPhone I googled Hotels close to the Alhambra and the Hostal Austria was one of the search result, I decided to park the car nearby and went to visit the Hostal to pre-view the room and facilities also checking if the price included free wi-fi which is a must have for me.
I was welcomed by a very friendly receptionist with a very good English and showed the various type of rooms from single to double, I decided on a double for comfort and took one on the top floor. The room included a very comfortable bed, a large wardorbe a small desk and also Air Conditioning and the ensuite bathroom had both shower and bath. No small fridge with drinks but that was fine by me as I am a t-totaller and don't drink alcohol. The hotel is very very close to the Alhambra so it was a 10 minutes walk before you are presented to the stunning beauty of this Castle and its grounds.
I stayed there betwen 13-15th Dec just 2 weeks before Christmas and the town was nicely decorate with Christmas lights which made the place even more welcoming and heart warming. My conclusion in regards to this review is that the hotel is very well situated, it is good value for money if you like to save your pennies and at that price wi-fi is the cherry on the cake as I was able to transmit the pictures taken during the day back to my friends and family back home.
If ever I am back in Granada I will make sure to book a room on this Hostal Austria for sure.

Room Tip: The Hostal is surrounded by bars and restuarants, and top rooms are recommended to be far away as po...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Czech first
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

Would recommend Hostal Austria to anyone visiting Granada. Great value, for a basic and clean room. The best location for either walking up to The Alhambra, or having a night out in Granada (both, I recommend highly). My main tip though - if you use the carpark, you better have a hatchback, or a lot of people to guide you, in and out of the car park building. We had an Audi A4, and without the guidance of my fellow travellers, I would have surely crunched all 4 corners of the car. It's tight. Very tight. But if your car's small enough, it's the perfect spot to park, just up the road from the Hostal, cause otherwise parking in Granada is a bit of mission.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Youngstown, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed in a double room with private bath. Our very first impression of the place was wonderful, because the staff was super helpful in trying to help us with train tickets and with the problems we had turning in our rental car (don't EVER try to drive in Granada! Worst experience of the whole trip!). The room itself was simple but adequate, except for the flimsy excuse for a pillow that was provided. The absolute worst thing about the place is that the walls are paper thin and the other guests were young and inconsiderate party-going types. We only paid 40 euros, so I guess that attracted the youth hostel crowd. It was a pretty good deal for that price, and the people running the place are terrific people, but be sure to bring earplugs!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hbeverb
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2010

What I look for in a hotel is cheap, clean and excellent location and this hotel had it all!
We stayed in a double three nights in April 2010 for 40€ per night. The room was basic and clean with a great hot shower and a comfortable bed. There was heating and air conditioning available but we didn't need it because the weather was moderate.

Are you coming to Granada to hang out in your hotel? No way! This place is perfectly located next to Plaza Nueva, a good central hub, and downhill on the very street that leads to the Alhambra. It was an easy walk to the Albaicin and Sacromonte areas as well. There are handy buses quite close and many tasty options for tapas.

I'd highly recommend this to any budget traveler, except for tall / large people who would be too big for the bed and room.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PicnicAtTheCathedral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

My wife and I stayed one week ago in this nice hostal.
Rooms are not very big but clean. Located just in the hearth of the city with nice places to have breakfast,...
One of the best thing of hostal Austria are the really helpfull staff. We enjoy this trip and hope to come back soon.

• Stayed April 2010
The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2009

Just the worst possible accommodation you could wish for in the otherwise lovely Granada. Very difficult to find it on the first place and when we called them to ask for directions they quite rudely directed us to the google map they sent us on beforehand. Luckily there are some really helpful people in Granada so eventually after having to drive through the smallest street in the world (1.5 m broad is not exactly what you call a street), we finally found a public parking place and we happy enough to leave our car there, not even bothering to check the private garage of the hostal.
After this ordeal we were greeted by the smallest room in the world. Hardly big enough to fit a double bed, it did have a private WC/bathroom the size of a miserable cubicle where you couldn't turn. In addition to that, the bed was extremely unstable and as it only had one double matress, the moment one of us turned, the other one would jump in the air, of course completely awake.
The total misery of the place was crowned by the very thin walls. We were unfortunate enough to have a room next to some young blokes whose loud talks and laughter kept us awake until late at night. Having said that, it should be noted that the location is indeed very central and although the street is small, it's pretty busy especially around 1.30 at night.

General impression: too small, too noisy, very uncomfortable. Even the central location is not a plus as Granada's centre turned out to be small and compact and almost everything you might want to see is at a walking distance.
Avoid this hostal if you can.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Antaress

Travelers are raving about these Granada hotels

Nanaimo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2009

My sister and I booked a double room that was large and clean. The decor wasquaint and the staff was very nice and helpful. The huge double window overlooking the street really allowed us to soak up the atmosphere of the city. It's location next to the old city and the Alhambre was ideal for sightseers like us. A car was not needed. I would not recommened it for anyone with mobility issues as there are some narrow stairs to navigate. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends