“Worth the labyrinthine journey”

Reina Cristina Hotel
Ranked #79 of 122 Hotels in Granada
Rockness
“Worth the labyrinthine journey”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

It was 2 am before I eventually found the Reina Christina, a late flight and a few inadventant trips to Torremolinos in my attempt to find the right road to Granada out of Malaga! But it was worth the adventure of weaving in and around the tiny streets of Granda and some helpful directions from a friendly street sweeper when I had realised I'd have to park the car and walk, thanks to the road works outside the hotel.

The hotel was all I imagined, and better than expected, I was reading Victoria Hislop 'The Return' and felt immersed in the story as all the places mentioned were so nearby.

The tiles in the foyer are great. No dull euro hotel, Reina Christina feels Spanish through and through. Poignant connection to Lorca.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have stayed at the Reina Cristina on several occasions. It is owned, managed and staffed by a family, who do all possible to make their guests feel welcome and comfortable. The room selection is varied, ranging from less expensive rooms in the older section of the hotel to, rooms in a newer section, to "housekeeping" rooms in a nearby building, overlooking the Cathedral plaza - a first choice for visitors who wish to view Semana Santa processions. The rooms are spotless, the beds are very comfortable, the showers are excellent. El Rincon de Lorca - the bar and restaurant connected to the lobby - provides a good place to start and end the day - friendly staff and among the best tapas in Granada. The hotel provides garage parking and there is a public garage - La Paz - nearby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Intrepid8
Sax, Spain
Reviewed February 9, 2013

As soon as I had read that the great Federico Lorca, one of Spain's most famous poets, had spent his last days at this location before he was assassinated by Franco's mob during the Civil War,(a little bit of free history for the uninformed) it was enough to convince me to opt for this establishment rather than any other under consideration on my short list.
After finding difficulty in entering the first floor single room with my key-card, I was offered a third floor double for the same price, which I accepted. I'm proud to say that not once did I use the lift during my stay. If I had done so, I would have missed the opportunity of seeing the charming paintings, tapestries and statues which adorn each floor as well as the spacious lobby which also contain an effigy of Lorca in his white suit. My room was adequately comfortable and quiet but with no view whatsoever.The staff are helpful The street is full of inexpensive restaurants for breakfast and should you enjoy fish like I do, you must visit Cunini, a short distance away for lunch or dinner. Just ask for Manolo and tell him" El Gales" sent you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank iorwerth e
FEDERICOJR, Manager at Reina Cristina Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you very much "Gales" hope to have you back with us in the spring with the sun and good weather as you like it
a greeting
Federico
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I booked 3 rooms to celebrate my husband's 50th, we wanted a fun night on the town and we got it because the room was so miserable we all decided to head out very early! This hotel has fantastic staff, great value parking, wonderful location and plentiful breakfast. I have to say though the coffee is disgusting, in all the years i have been visiting Spain and the previous 12 months living here, I have only had 2 bad coffees, this was my 2nd! We returned to the hotel in the very early hours and were waken by the paper thin walls not long after. We managed to doze for a while and nearly missed the great breakfast. The staff are truly wonderful. Near-by there is an amazing club with great music and many older but beautiful people in a converted cinema, well worth a visit: Café Aliatar.

Room Tip: Dont book a room! We even had an exterior room with a balcony, my daughter and her partner an interi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank samgreer

Travelers are raving about these Granada hotels

Saint Julian's, Malta
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here with my husband and 3 children , we were given a family suite which was great. The family suites benfit from a partitioning curtain between the 2 sleeping ares giving privacy from the kids they also have 2 flat screen televisions with all the usual channels so the kids can watch their programmes in their sleeping area and the adults can watch their own programs in the bedroom area. The Hotel is right in the centre of Granada so great for getting around. If you are lucky enough to stay in the hotel during the week you will be treated to the best hotel breakfast I have ever had , at weekends the breakfast is buffet service and is nice but in the week you take breakfast in the hotels bar and it s basically a feast you are treated to just tell the waiters what you would like and they bring platefuls of to your table , we had platefuls of Serrano ham, proper Spanish coffee, fresh juices, cola cao ( hot chocolate) croissants, fresh bread, yoghurts, cereals, manchego cheese plus sandwich mixtos for the kids there was just so much.
The hotel itself is also in a lovely building and we found the staff to all be very helpful. We visit Granada quite regularly and this hotel will always be our first choice in the city

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Blue Mountains
Reviewed December 13, 2012

During our month in Spain I would say this was the cleanest of the hotels we stayed at. It is old and has outdated decor but was spotless, comfortable and in an excellent position. It is within easy walking distance of the town centre but in a quiet street so there is no noise to disturb your sleep. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast provided for a variety of tastes. A charming, quaint hotel which is well worth considering when visiting Granada.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelover5
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Parking is offered and this is a rare premium. However, to get there by car we found that ignoring one-way streets, pedestrian zones and other rules is necessary. The sat nav and maps showed the direction of the one-way outside the hotel to be wrong (legal direction is driving towards cathedral). We abandoned the car nearby and went on foot to survey a route. Staff helped us park the car in private underground parking, but our volvo only just fitted are a bit of shuffling. Bit of a laugh.

Hotel great in great location a short walk from cathedral and tourist area. Good service. Clean.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple