“Best in class”

Ranked #114 of 125 Hotels in Granada
Bingley, United Kingdom
“Best in class”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Lovely hotel, old world charm, extremely helpful staff with special mention for Luis in Reception and the barman who cannot do enough to make your stay a happy one. They even retrieve your car from the underground car park. Well appointed rooms and bathrooms, very clean throughout with a warm atmosphere. I read a recommendation from a 20 year old guide book to Granada and it is still highly recommended. Floors and banging doors do make a small amount of noise but which hotel in Spain does not? Will definitely return to this outstanding hotel first in class for its price/quality ratio.

Room Tip: Select a room to the side that opens to a courtyard. Quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Turkish first
Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We recently decided to see Alhambra and we booked an early morning tour so we had to stay the night. We found this hotel on some search site. The Positive news is that the staff are very nice and try to make the most of your experience. The waiter in the morning was very helpful as was the night clerk. The Negative news is that the place is old, dirty, and in serious need of cleaning and repair.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mrosen94

Travelers are raving about these Granada hotels

Reviewed January 9, 2012

All night, I heard the elevator motor groaning to a halt every time it was used (not just to our floor). Our room was furtherest away from it! The walls are fairly thin and shoes can be heard on the timber floors.

Better hotels for the same price and convenience to town/trains.

Jo Australia.

• Stayed January 2012
7 Thank Jo0
SoCal
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Excellent value for the small price, Princessa Ana is a little jewel located right off the beautiful promenade of Avenida de la Constitucion. The 'period' decor gives the feel of stepping back in time, and after visiting the Alhambra first, it seems appropriate. The staff was polite and professional, the room offered a balcony view of the beautiful lighted fountain and park across the street. The bathroom is spacious and modern and everything is clean.
We stayed on Christmas eve and on Christmas night, and enjoyed a memorable walk from the Princessa Ana , along the promenade, through parks and around the cathedral, up the hill to the Alhambra, and had lunch in a little place on Plaza Nueva.
If you are expecting the Sheraton or the Hilton, you're looking at the wrong place. But if you want an affordable hotel with NO disappointments, convenient location for walking and a great value -- Princess Ana is it! We would be pleased to stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the front of the building with a view of the beautiful lighted fountain and square a...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed June 1, 2011

the bathroom was so nice. so so nice. very modern, great shower, 2 sinks, sunny. the room was ok, small, ok beds. they really could use an upgrade. the tv was funny, it didn't really work although there was nothing on in english anyway so it didn't really matter.

the hotel is right next to the train station, it could not be closer, which was great because we came in and out of granada by train. we were able to leave our luggage there while we went sightseeing on our last day. really good italian restaurant right around the corner, perfect for a late night meal.

other than that, it's about a 5 min bus ride from the center. the bus is right in front of the hotel so it was perfect for us.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank boxochocolate
liverpool
Reviewed March 12, 2011

stayed one night befor going to court next door, so a good location for the court house,
friendly staff, very clean room and a nice bar in the lobby.
If you want to avoid the hostals then this is a good economical alternative.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 9, 2010

The best way to learn a language is to live with it. My kids have done it. So has my wife. Now it was my turn.

Spain seems like the best place to learn Spanish since that's the language's origin, as I've been reminded. So away we went.

Spanish may sound different in Spain than it does in Mexico, or South America. Since I don't speak the language to begin with, it doesn't make any difference. Before leaving for a month of travel in four cities, I took the precaution of avoiding learning any of the language since it wasn't the same as the Spanish spoken around Oregon.

I was wrong for doing that. How wrong?

The one time you want full command of any language is during a medical emergency. You want to know what's wrong, what's being done, and what to expect. We had an emergency in Granada that resulted in a four-day hospital stay. It all turned out well, but this review might assist others in a moment of similar need.

While planning a trip that includes others, review medical histories. Some in the group might feel like you are prying into their privacy, so you'll need to explain a few things.

If you have a medical emergency in a country where you don't speak the language, you'll still have to answer the routine questions. Except you won't know what's being asked.

Allergic to eggs? Had a tetanus booster within the past ten years? Any past medical history that relates to your current condition? You can answer them easily, but when asked in another language you might as well try explaining the Theory of Relativity.

Start with a list of conditions, followed by the medications taken for those conditions. If possible, translate the conditions and medications into the language of the country you plan to visit.

If you have allergies, check to see if your destination will have allergy threats. Same with asthma. If you have triggers, make sure you know to expect them.

The respiratory emergency facing me in Granada required that I find a way to get one in my party to the nearest hospital in the middle of the night. We were staying in a hotel that locked the front door from the inside so I had to find the night clerk, explain that I needed a taxi, then start all over with the taxi driver.

From Hotel America in Alhambra to a downtown hospital in the dark, I chatted with the driver in our special English/Spanish mix. At the emergency room check-in, I started the whole thing over.

Helpful words at check-in would have been 'pneumonia', 'lungs', 'infection', 'allergy', 'respiration', among many others. Helpful phrases during the five hours I sat in the waiting room would have been, "where is my wife", "may I see my wife", and “how much longer will she be here?"

With my wife admitted into the hospital I left Hotel America in Alhambra the day Michelle Obama planned her visit. I booked into the Princesa Ana Hotel across the street from the hospital and found my greatest ally in the hotel manager.

Enrique Bernardo was the calm in the storm I feared coming. I’ll admit to being rattled. I asked Mr. Bernardo the same questions every day and he answered as if hearing them the first time. Is this a good hospital? Where are the doctors during the weekend? Is smoking generally allowed in hospital rooms? Are there good places to eat nearby?

Mr. Bernardo helped transform what felt like someone coming to their wits' end in a strange place to an oasis of welcoming calm. With his anchoring presence, the storm I felt growing passed. Instead of becoming a hysterical tourist asking for the American Embassy phone number, I relaxed.

It seemed an odd feeling given the circumstances.

Then, during a visit to the hospital, I watched bullfighting on television. I looked at the matador facing the bull and realized he looked just like Enrique. Instead of planning for an encounter like a matador, Enrique found me at the door at the Princesa Ana in full flight mode. He listened to my every need and instead of shaking a cape or brandishing a sword, he settled in to help.

I knew I wasn't the only person in the Princesa Ana, but talking to Enrique Bernardo made it feel that way. His patience and grace turned the pressure down when I felt like something had to give. His kindness with a man on the verge of tears for four days speaks to the heart of the travel experience:

When as many things as you think possible have gone wrong, you're at the beginning of what can really go wrong. You can loose your luggage, your money, even your passport, but you still have your health. When health is in jeopardy, the next emotion is panic. Events often spin out of control with panic. Demands grow unreasonable. Conversations turn shrill in a second.

If Enrique Bernardo were a trained crisis manager instead of the manager of the Princesa Ana Hotel in Granada, I couldn't have been in better hands. He was generous with his time, willing to assist without being asked. For me he is the Face of Spain, a guardian angel watching over his city and visitors in need.

Thank you, Mr. Bernardo. And thank you Princesa Ana Hotel.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family