“Excellent location, catering not so good”
Review of Guadalupe Hotel

Guadalupe Hotel
Ranked #36 of 122 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights, bed only.

LOCATION: 3 minutes walk to the Alhambra entrance (involves small flight of steps) or longer walk (?10 mins) if you need to avoid steps. Limited eateries within a few hundred yards. Many more eateries in the town. If walking, there are numerous steps down to the town (and more importantly back up again!) with some fantastic views to be enjoyed. You could go down by car (not sure about parking in the town).
DECOR/STANDARD OF ACCOMMODATION: A little tired, but still pleasant and serviceable. Comfortable bed, good shower pressure, no noise of any particular note. We had a room with a large terrace which was very nice. Small lift is available.
SERVICE: Employees friendly enough and helpful. Café/bar service slow/disappointing/expensive. We had not opted for breakfast.
PARKING: Not available at the hotel, but you can unload just outside the hotel (opposite side of the road) and then park your car in the Alhambra car park at a reduced rate. Car to hotel by foot can be as little as 2/3 mins (via steps).
AIRCON: We stayed in Sept and the temp outside was up to 40 degrees. Felt comfortable in the room - no problems.
OTHER: As with most hotels, towels provided are for models and children, not real people!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Check my reviews; one star reviews are rare for me, but this hotel merited it. First, before we checked in, an elderly couple had just finished checking in and was trying to get their luggage from outside the entry, up the steps and through the heavy doors. The man used a cane. They gave up and asked for help twice while we were there. The front desk staff acted annoyed and said they would call someone to help. Meanwhile, they sat outside next to the busy street with their luggage waiting. We unloaded our luggage, drove to the lot and parked and walked back and saw them still waiting and very distressed. My husband ended up carrying up their stuff to their room. No reaction from the front desk although we all walked right by. We got to our room and the wifi wasn't working. I talked to the front desk and they said a technician had been called and that I should use the wifi in the lobby. We were at the Guadalupe for two nights and wifi never worked in our room. We booked a terrace room and envisioned relaxing there in my PJs and using the internet to catch up with our kids and the news back home. I asked about the wifi repair about six times during our stay. They assured me a technician had been called but the issue was never fixed. Meanwhile I used the wifi in the lobby with another guest who said he had been at the hotel for three nights and had also complained about the internet problems. The toilet flush was very loud and you had to hold the button down until flushing was complete. Seriously, the sound was so loud I would wake up my husband when I used the bathroom during the night. I mentioned this to the front desk because I really believed that it couldn't possibly be the way it was supposed to operate. The young woman laughed and said all of the toilets were like that. She laughed. Sorry, but that was really the last straw. The room was fine, I liked the location and if not for the problems I've detailed above, I would have given this place five stars.

2  Thank Linda4490
Guadalupehotel, Director Comercial at Guadalupe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

I really regret the bad experience you had with some services during your stay of two days, but focusing on your main complaint, let me explain you that one of our must is the good service of our Staff.- this is not a subjective impression, but the usual comments of our 95 % clients, and also the day a day that I can observe with our staff.
I checked point by point all your complaint, and it is true that we had some problems with the wi-fi in the rooms last week, and it is true that depending on the number of people trying to connect at the same time, some times the signal was not enough in rooms, but perfect in the main areas of the Hotel, (I appreciate at least you indicated that you could connect in the hall). Also is true that we have not porter sevice with the luggages, and however we try to do our best if some old people need it, I really think you maybe came in a very bussy time, and only that was the reason we could not help with the luggages.
Finally about the "toilet flush comment" please, you can believe me, I know our reception staff (Cristina and Jessica) from more than 10 years, I can sure you they are the main arguments next to the other receptionist, Joaquin, of the good attention and good service we allways provides to our guests, and this way of doing you perceived I never saw, and I am sure I will never see from them. I really think it was your perception, but it is not appropiate to throw suspicion of bad behavior just because a "young woman laughed" next to a suspect wrong comment. Of course it is not true that our toilets are noisy, and when some of them have a problem we try to solution it as soon as possible . . .

Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel, next to the Alhambra car park, is an efficient choice for car drivers. The buffet breakfast, however, was far below the standard we experienced during our 5 weeks in Spain, and very poor value.

2  Thank amp93
Guadalupehotel, Director Comercial at Guadalupe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear guests,

Thanks for your coment, and just I would like to mention your opinion about our breakfast buffet, because probably people might consider that we dont offer too much compared with the price , we charge. I don't know the type of breakfast you ordered, but if you had the complet buffet, under the price of 10,50 euros, we every morning are serving scrambled eggs, sausages, toasted bacon, different assortment of cold meats, cheese and pates, assortment of cereals, yogurts, Diferent assortment of breads, croissants, assortment of patries and cakes, of course, also fresh fruits like apple, oranges, pears, grapes, melon and watermelon, dry fruits like apricots, plums, three diferents fruit juices, and also if you fancy, a cup of cava (spanish champagne). Of course, we also have a lower price Continental breakfast, (6 euros) and you can have orange juice, croissant, toast with jam and butter, and of course a good caffee. However we appreciate your opinion wich will help us to improve in the future.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

If, like us, you are going to Granada to visit the Alhambra, then this is the place to stay. It's just across the road from the Alhambra, and right beside the visitors centre from where one of the major tour operates.
The hotel is clean and efficient and dinner was fine and breakfast was good.
Not much to say about The Guadalupe other than its there, it works and it does what it says on the tin.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julian E
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel is perfect for 70-something travelers who value night-time silence, an enormous bathroom with lots of hot water, impeccable cleanliness, working Wifi, and . It is across the road from the entrance to the Alhambra and one can walk down a lovely path through a woods to the heart of Granada and the Plaza Nueva--a maybe 15-minute walk, depending on one's fitness level. We are very, very happy with this place. The price, at 56 euros, is also excellent. Room 402 faces a grove of olive trees.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Guadalupehotel, Director Comercial at Guadalupe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear guest,

We appreciate your kind words, especially because you detail the prime issues that we try to allways provide our customers.- quiet and pleasant stay, impecably clean room, nice and beautiful surroundings, good and friendly attention from our staff, and if possible, like your case, also good price . . . . It is a pleasure to work on this type of Hotels, and it is pleasant that the vast mayority of our customers know him recognize and enjoy . . .

Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Guadalupe for three nights at the end of September. Had a wonderful room on the fourth floor, with windows over the Alhambra. Service was very welcoming from the restaurant, front desk, etc. Rooms were comfortable, easy, spacious. If you are looking for great access to the Alhambra, the Guadalupe is just a few steps away and a short taxi ride into Granada. You can also enjoy a walk through the Alhambra woods down into town if you choose a little exercise. Guadalupe was affordable and accessible (most languages spoken, accessible menu), with a great location, with character and charm. The Alhambra is an amazing place, and we'd stay at the Guadalupe if we are ever able to back.

Room Tip: Fourth floor has great views and is a bit quieter off the street.