“noisy”

Macia Monasterio Los Basilios
Ranked #72 of 123 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Some of the reviews talk about ugly and old rooms. Mine was actually newly renovated, comfortable, and with a spotless bathroom. I understand that the hotel is still in the process of being fixed, so if you book, make sure they give you a room in one of the renovated floors. Pretty fast wifi. Uninteresting breakfast, but can do for a couple of days. The main problem of the hotel is that there is a school yard next to it, which makes it a VERY noisy place if you want to sleep inn one day. One of the receptionists was always on the phone when I went to the reception to either pick or leave my key, he hardly looked at me, which got annoying after a couple of days. I would say this is a good hotel for a couple of nights, but if you are staying longer it quickly becomes a poor choice.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Kari2010

Reviewed May 13, 2010

This is NOT a three star hotel at all !!

We paid 120 euros for a terrible room, in an awfull building that looks like an old communist school ! Furniture is just hugly and the thing they call bathroom looks more like a torture room... And I won't talk about the smell...

Frankly, Ii ts the firt time I make a review on a traveller site and it's because I hope it will help someone not to ruin its hollydays ! We finally change hotels and found a real three star hotel with great service and a nice and clean room... Yes it is usually like that in spain :-)

Avoid this hotel... it's howned by a bunch of liars... period.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Ton1o
Reviewed May 13, 2010

For those who have been in Iceland, it looks really like the "Hotel Edda" (hotel in a boarding school during the summer vacation) in more expensive and the dirt in addition. In our point of view, a lot too expensive for what you get. We initially booked 2 nights but moved after 1 and found a very nice cosy hotel next to the cathedral for the same price (hotel Casa de Federico).

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ratatouille73
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I spent three days in Granada with my boyfriend and found this hotel randomly as I was searching good reviews for places in Granada. We chose this one because it was quite a bit cheaper than all the other hotels suggested (that didn't look as new/in good shape). The hotel is very well situated, a short walk from de center where all the shops are. Plus, a direct bus going from the central bus station stops right in front of the hotel, so you don't need to bother with a taxi or walk a lot.
The hotel is very charming as it takes place in a former monestary. The room was a good surprise as well. Although I recommend to ask specifically for a non smoking room as I didn't and there was a slight smell. The room was modern and seemed recent, but in a "chic and cheap" way. Meaning that it's not a five star hotel but they really did an effort to make it look good. The bathroom was very satisfying. Spacious and good shower/bath tub but the lighting wasn't great (detail). The room had air conditionning which is probably important during hot months. We had a large terrace aswell that wasn't mentioned anywhere so that was a good surprise, and a view on the Sierra Nevada in the background that was very pleasant.
Another detail is that they don't have minibars in the rooms so you might want to buy a bottle of water at some point, good thing there's a supermarket across the street.
All in all I had a very pleasant stay, and was very happy to have found this hotel. I strongly recommend it."

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2010

some of the reviews talk about the bad conditions in the rooms. they must have renovated since then, because at least my room, it was completely modern. the bathroom was all new and very clean. the fixtures were new. not a single hair could be found. i am picky about cleanliness and so i actually look for that. the room had a new normal size flat screen tv. it was the right size for the room anyway, in my opinion. other hotels often have large flat screens, but i always find them to be too large and obnoxious relative to the room size. the beds and furniture in my room were completely adequate. not old or anything. the floors are beautiful on the 3rd floor. i think they only rent out rooms on the 3rd floor. it might be laminate or real wood, but it looks like really nice wood regardless. the common sitting area on the 3rd floor was very nicely decorated with nice furniture and a good sense of style. the front desk was efficient and knowledgeable. i had a couple of problems and they solved them. i was having trouble login into the wi-fi and they fixed it. i had run out of toothpaste and so i just had to ask the front desk for a toothbrush/toothpaste pack. you can borrow the iron from the front desk. i have to say that the hotel cares about safety. i arrived at around midnight due to a late flight. the front door was locked and so i had to get buzzed in. there is someone at the front desk 24h. the following night, it was cold and i was coming back at 10 pm. i had my hood up on my sweater. the front desk stopped me to make sure i was a guest entering the premises. the breakfast food is fine. sure, it is no 5 star cuisine, but it is totally adequate. for god's sakes, it is a free buffet-style breakfast. what do people expect? there is a decent variety. the breakfast staff was very nice and got me a seat right away and they are very on top about keeping everything filled, clean, and fresh out of the kitchen. yes, there is a school next door. that is not a problem unless you are coming in at exactly the same time school lets out at 2:30 pm. the location is right next to the river. it is close to everything. i was here for an experimental research conference. that was only 5 minutes/100 meters away. great location. granada is so small that you can walk to most things. shopping and tapas restaurant are just over the river. the metro and buses are a block away. the downstairs common area walkways of the monastery are beautiful. they have laundry service and room service for a fee. in sum, i don't know what people expect by the amount that they pay for this place. generally, you get what you pay for. don't expect a miracle for a 3 star hotel if you are paying 1-2 star prices (yes, even if it says it is a 3-star). don't get so stuck on the star rating. for this hotel, i got more than what i paid for actually. for what i paid, i would have been happy with the equivalent of a motel 6 (US chain of comparable price). this place has history and charm. i have traveled and lived all over the world and this place is great. i don't choose hotels by star ratings. it is a great location (close to everything), it is clean, the staff is efficient, my favorite parts are the free wi-fi in my room and the free breakfast. i would stay here again in a heartbeat. i would recommend it to all my friends visiting granada without a second thought. there are outliers for reviews. there's people that love everything maybe because they haven't been to enough places to make the comparison or they are just easily pleased people. there are people that hate everything and give bad reviews. they may or may not travel a lot. i am neither. i am in the middle. i give bad and good reviews. for any "reasonable" person, this is a great hotel and a good value. if you want a brand new 5-star hotel, pay a lot more and stay at a generic chain like the five seasons, hilton, hyatt, you know them.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank climber22
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stayed for three nights in this hotel with our three small children (aged 2, 3 and 5). It is close to central Granada with lots of buses available, or walkable if we hadn't had the children with us. The location by the Rio Genil is very pleasant, with constant views of the snow-capped Sierra Nevada. The hotel's central courtyard is very attractive and it has tried hard to make it as cosy as possible. We had two triple rooms, which were functional and met our needs.
Parking is in the paying car park behind the hotel (16 euros a day). It is best to try and park (or double park) outside to unload bags as it's a few minutes' walk to the car, with no luggage trolley on offer.
We didn't try the restaurant. The best place for breakfast was the cafe 'Flambayante', a block or so behind the hotel on the parallel street.
The main downside we encountered was the soundproofing of the rooms. You could hear other peoples' voices and taps running in your room. We were complained about by another guest as one of our children cried for a while. We felt bad but there wasn't much we could do about it.
Overall, I would recommend this to people but with the caveat about the soundproofing!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank The_Treasure_Hunters
Reviewed January 15, 2010

If they were upfront about their "hotel" and not have the nerve to claim 3 stars and charge accordingly, I would have no problem. Essentially it's a hostel. Our room had ants, holes in the walls (not kidding) a view of a children's school courtyard (because it's a children's school, not a hotel), the smallest analog tv I could imagine, the thinnest walls I could imagine (we couldn't sleep because the people next door were only chatting late at night), the phone calls for other people in the hotel kept being misdirected to our room (late at night), I COULD GO ON. Like I said, I don't care about these things too much, but they since they are religiously affiliated, they should know it's immoral to cheat people out of their money or make false claims. Have a nice day.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends