“Amazing value for money”
Review of Hotel Macia Plaza

Hotel Macia Plaza
Ranked #38 of 122 Hotels in Granada
Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing value for money”
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Great location! Plaza Nuevo - walking distance from all of Granada's sights, shopping and restaurants.
Room was clean, comfortable and nice - which was a pleasant surprise considering how cheap & affordable the room prices were!
And to top it off, the staff were amazing! The guys behind the reception were so friendly and helpful; definitely the best service we had in Spain.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Granada. We loved it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Great location, walking distance to most tourist/shopping areas (Alcaicería, Albaicin, Calle Calderería Nueva, Cathedral, Royal Chapel...etc). Plenty of restaurants, cafes & pastry shops around the hotel. Convenient to catch buses to Alhambra & Generalife. Rooms are clean & comfortable. Amenities are adequate. Hotel staff are friendly but they seem to be shorthanded & are always busy. We didnt have a problem with that as we do not require much concierge services. Overall, it was a good stay.

• Stayed September 2010
Regina, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2010

This 2* hotel is right on Plaza Nueva which makes it ideally situated to all major sites in Granada. It was excellent value for money (we paid 50 Euros a night) and did not appear like a 2* at all.
When we arrived, the Plaza was full of sketchy looking backpackers. This tainted our initial impression of the location. However, it was the only day we saw that many unsavory looking characters. The Plaza is ideally located to catch busses up to the Alhambra, the Albayzín, and San Nicolás viewpoint. It is ridiculously easy walking distance to the Alcaicería, the Cathedral, the Royal Chapel, and the tapas crawl on Calle Navas.
We had room 305 with two twin beds pushed together. The bed was very comfortable. There was carpet in the room which I don't prefer but it was clean and vacuumed daily. The bathroom had new fixtures, excellent water pressure and a glass door. This did affect some privacy. The air-conditioning was an individually controlled unit and functioned perfectly. I thought that we had gotten an amazing deal until I was talking to a British woman who was staying down the block at a place with a pool for 60 Euros a night. We have never wanted pools more in Europe than on this trip to Spain in the middle of a heat wave. A quick dip at the end of a long day of sightseeing would have been really welcome.
Our favorite place to grab a bite was just around the corner at Calle Almireceros 1 called Bodegas Castaneda. It was unbelievably cheap and excellent local food. It is not to be confused with the big Castaneda that you pass on the way to the "real" one. All drinks in Granada come with a free tapas so it fun to do a tapas crawl but we did spend more than our fair share of time in this one place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
RW
Reviewed July 31, 2010

The Macia Plaza is ideally situated at walking distance to the Alhambra & Generalife and the Albaycin.
The room is very nice, seems recently renovated. The staff is very accomodating, the breakfast very good.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights from June 18 to June 20, 2010. The hotel was great on overall with a cosy, but a little small room - given the fact that I was alone in the room for double use, it was ok, though a little small even for 1 person. The location is totally central and great - in the very-very heart at the central Plaza. The staff was great on overall as well. There was only one important exception:
A receptionist who worked during day time, named Rafael:
when I arrived the 1st day with heave luggage, he gave me a room on the 5th floor. Elevator goes to the 4th floor, which is final stop. I asked to help me with my luggage, but he said that I can do it myself, so I had to carry my really heavy luggage all by myself from 4th to 5th floor, which was really a nightmare. Then I he made me a Reservation to Alhambra, the most popular attraction in Granada, and only when I gave him my credit card informed me that he charged me with 2 euros extra for reservation!
Another day, when I left the key from safe at the reception and he could not find it, this man blamed me really roughly that it is my fault and I should not have left it at the reception, though I asked another receptionist before and he said that there was no problem.
Finally, when I needed a taxi, I phoned and asked him to book me a taxi, which is done by all the receptionists at all hotels, but he told me that I can find any myself (with my heavy luggage) at the street! He never said goodbye and never smiled at me and was absolutely rough with me. I cannot understand, how he can be kept at this nice hotel with such incompetent attitude to clients.

I liked everything except him and zero quality of his service and only because of him would not recommend to stay at this really nice hotel. He is really a problem and great disadvantage for a hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Clarendon Hills, Illinois
Reviewed July 14, 2010

This was our first and favorite hotel in Spain we stayed at! We traveled with our family of 8 and the only difficulty we had was finding parking since we arrived at night. We had a 9 passenger van and the street leading to the hotel is shut down to cars at night so we had to walk with our luggage. We had to find a parking garage that would fit the van-thank goodness for my older daughter's Spanish fluency-english language is not commonly found in this town-just FYI-I was surprised how often my kids needed to interpret. The hotel is on Plaza Nueva-a great location to walk EVERYWHERE. (except Alhambra-which you could walk to but it's far with 6 kids so we took a bus right outside the hotel) NOTE: they only have one triple room per floor so we had to separate to two floors for our 3 rooms-2 triples and a double. They VERY nicely gave me an extra key to my kids' room so I could get in for security purposes-these rooms require a key staying in a slot for electricity in the rooms-so there is normally only one per room. GREAT buffet breakfast for very inexpensive price-7 euro pp. The rooms are small but clean and modern and updated-very nice! The front desk staff was very helpful with maps and suggestions. Great restaurants around and very interesting town-our family loved it more than Seville! Bring comfy shoes to enjoy the sights-many hills. We even took our boys to a water park up in the hills looking at the Sierra Nevada mountains-it was beautiful.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Secaucus, New Jersey
Reviewed June 27, 2010

The service overall was very good, the rooms although not big yet comfortable. The bed linens were crisp and the room was very clean. We spent most of the day out but at night it was cool enough to sleep comfortably. If you want a location that is central to restaurants and 15 min walk to the Alhambra this is it.

• Stayed June 2010