“Excellent Hotel in Granada”

Hotel Monjas del Carmen
Ranked #24 of 124 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Excellent location. Close to stores, restaurants and a few blocks from Alhambra.
There is no room service though (no restaurant at the hotel). Neverthless, the hotel is surrounded by several good restaurants options, it has an excellent one its first floor (Los Manueles) that is not part of the hotel, but share the space in the first floor with the reception desk.
The hotel is very clean and the service is just perfect. The staff is firendly and patience is one of their qualities, since tourists are always asking for directions and suggestions of all sorts (me of course).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Paulo T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,031)

Reviewed July 28, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is its location, the Alhambra bus right out the back door, and walking distance to most of the places/neighborhoods of interest. I also like that it is tucked back away from the street. It has excellent soundproofing on the windows too. The restaurant/bar downstairs is pretty good. Though the hotel has wifi, it did not work in our room on the top floor.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank freespirit34
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We actually stayed in one of the hotel's apartments. As you will read with other reviews, the apartments are not attached to the hotel. In fact, it is quite a little walk (10 min) to reach the apartments from the hotel. The apartment itself was nothing special. I felt the bathroom, beds & kitchen were very clean. When we arrived, the hotel provides you with tea, coffee, milk, orange juice, muffins, etc. for your stay & there were ants all over the kitchen table with the muffins. Once we threw out the muffins, all the ants were gone & we did not have anymore problems with bugs. I think the most positive point of the apartment is its location to Mirador de San Nicolas, which it is most beautiful view in all of Granada. It is up top a hill in the Albayzin neighborhood. The apartment is half way up the hill so the hike is much shorter from the apartment than it would be from Plaza Nueva. We loved it so much that every night we would hike up to see the view & there are several wonderful little restaurants up there as well. This was the highlight of our trip. I would like to also noted that Rick Steves talks about the Albayzin neighborhood being "seedy" at night but I never felt uncomfortable. I was with my mom & younger sister & we all felt very comfortable walking up to see the sunset (the best time to go up there) & walking back down after dark. We had absolutely no problems. The apartment was extremely affordable but still nothing to write home about. Lastly, the AC works great!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathryn C
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I am so glad to have booked the Hotel Monjas del Carmen. For me, it really was perfect.

I needed a location close to the center of town, and the HMC is just that. Directly across from the Plaza Nueva (yet tucked into a quiet little corner) this hotel was in short walking distance to main tourist sites, bars, cafés, and transport options.

The hotel itself is small, simple, minimal, and spotless. The design and decoration of the lobby includes marble and glass and is cool, clean, and elegant. My room itself looked towards the back of the hotel and, similarly, was modern, simple and just what I would have wanted.

A colleague and I had dinner in the hotel’s downstairs restaurant and I have to say, the food was of a high quality and was excellent. Just next to the hotel, in the back, was the restaurant Carmela, which we also enjoyed.

Although I did not take breakfast in the hotel, I did run down for coffee each morning. While it would have been nice to have a water boiler in the room to prepare my own, the cheery barman downstairs couldn’t have been more friendly.

I would also add that the price was certainly right for a centrally located hotel of this quality. ‘Fancy’ it is not. But I would say that, for me, the hotel was just right.

Although next time I may stay a bit further away from the hubbub of the Plaza Nueva area, I can very highly recommend this place for first time visitors looking for solid, simple, quality accommodations.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MAWander
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

A quiet hotel near Plaza nueva on a little street with limited auto access. Super quiet, with free and dependable wifi . Light breakfast with fresh oj!! Great location. Charming window opened up overlooking cafes. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Ronnigtbg
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Location near the square is excellent, plus it's very quiet once you close the windows. Inside the hotel is modern and new even if the rooms are a bit small.

Breakfast was minimal. I can't eat gluten but was unable to get a refund. Breakfast was a croissant or bread with coffee or tea plus orange juice. Skip breakfast in the hotel - there's a restaurant just outside the back door. The Front desk staff was not particularly friendly. I emailed the hotel before our stay and asked if they had laundry facilities for guests to use. They emailed back that they did. When we showed up they said they send the clothes out and it takes 4 days. We were there for only 2 days and expected to have access to a washer and dryer and obviously did not. The TV was a very small, flat screen but difficult to see from the bed. The sofachair that opened up into the third bed for our son made room a little cramped. You stay here for the location and nice room.

Room Tip: Skip breakfast at the hotel. Don't expect to have access to a washer and dryer - they send the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mmchung1
Reviewed June 15, 2013

A modern room with all comforts- good beds, spacious bathroom, small refrigerator, air conditioning, small balcony. All in a modern boutique hotel in the old town- best of both worlds.
Location was excellent- short uphill walk to the Alhambra, or take the bus which stops near the hotel. There is also a bookshop a few doors down, where you can buy or print your Alhambra tickets without queuing. Good range of restaurants, right in the old town.
There is street noise, but we closed the French doors at night and used the air- con. The double glazing blocked all outside noise.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple