“Lovely Hotel”

Sol Don Marco
Ranked #10 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 24, 2014

This is a lovely hotel.well decorated and kept, Staff were attentive, although we were given wrong info about bus stops.the location is ideal with small shops very close by for vital purchases. Lots of choices of resaurants and the beach just across the road.

Room Tip: We were initially offered a ground floor room, but as we had read other reviews on here , which reco...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank juliehays
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Dear juliehays,
Thank you for your visit and for taking time to write a review. I am delighted that the hotel, location and staff were to your liking. Please come again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Sol Don Marco

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Just steps from the beach and close enough to restaurants and the old town. I didn't try the pools but they looked nice, and there was lots of deck space. Staff were friendly and helpful when things didn't go quite right (blown fuse). Food was so-so, there is much better food along the beach or in town.

Room Tip: There are a few beach-facing rooms but most face inward and overlook the pool. Some 1st floor rooms...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Dear Jenna P,
Thanks for choosing to stay at the Don Marco, and also for taking the time to write your review. I am pleased to hear that you were happy with the location and facilities provided by the hotel and surrounding complex. I am sorry that you were not that impressed with the food. We have a very extensive variety of dishes available and generally our guests rate the restaurant quite highly but I understand that tastes differ and it is certainly true that there are some grand little restaurants close to the hotel.
Thanks again for your review. I hope that you come back one day and try out some of the nine pools!
jaime Floyer.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

My wife and I have just returned from an 8 day trip to the Don Marco. Always good to see old faces still there Once again this year more investment in the hotel Last year Mr Floyer and his staff had the exterior of the Don Pabloe painted and the entrance transformed This year the pool areas were upgraded and also the gardens overhauled also a cactus garden now opened All this work gives a feeling of confidence amongst the doom and gloom one hears about The hotels proximity to the airport and Torremolinos are all plusses to This was our sixth trip to the Don Marco at Easter we upgraded to room 5004 as usual Could not have ordered better weather for our stay Would hope to be back next year

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
1  Thank ronmacl5
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear ronmacl5,
Thank you for your kind words. I am so happy to hear that you had yet another pleasurable stay with us and that you appreciate the results of our constant investments. We want to be sure that you keep coming for many years more!

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This hotel was a really pleasant surprise. The grounds are lovely, the location is good, the rooms are spotless. The food was very good and the hotel staff were all lovely. I would definitely rate this as a real four star hotel. To find any fault at all, I would say the beds are a bit hard and I did try to contact the hotel to request a fifth floor room but never had any reply to my three email requests. Apart from the lack of contact and the hard mattresses, I thought this hotel was excellent and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We did try to get the fifth floor as many trip advisor reviews comment on this but it was full
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank J P
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear J P,
Thank you for choosing the Don Marco and thank you also for taking the time to write your review. It is wonderful to have positive feedback but even more important to hear how we can improve.
I am sorry about the lack of response to your enquiry. I would be very grateful to know how you attempted to contact us so that I can ensure that we improve in this repsect. As far as the mattresses are concerned it is true that they are firm. We have softer matttreses available upon request.
I hope that we have the chance to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Thanks to the superb customer service of Senor Jaime Floyer, hotel manager, my sister and I were finally able to experience a stay in a 'stunning sea view' room in the Don Marco. We have now stayed in all three of the hotels in the complex and have enjoyed each one. All three hotels have their own style. The Marco is very much a 'zen' area with eastern style decor and tinkling water sounds and music playing quietly in the background. Perfect place to escape the hubbub and read a good book. The rooms are smartly decorated although a little smaller than the pablo as are the balconies but the views from the front room are unbeatable, especially from a higher floor. The furniture is well maintained and beds comfortable. We liked the bathroom layout with a separate shower cubicle. We were very well looked after by our room attendant Maria-Jose who was most helpful and friendly and very thorough in her cleaning duties.

The marco shares all the facilities of the other two hotels but provides a more tranquil atmosphere.

The pool work was still going on during our visit but there are plenty other pools and sunbathing areas in the complex if you do a bit exploring.

We found again in the main the staff are all very friendly and helpful, some more so than others, we found Pedro the bar manager most accommodating and friendly as was his colleague on the evening of 31st March on our arrival - we didnt catch his name but along with Pedro he made us very welcome.

The service in the dining room was as good as it always is (this was our seventh visit to the complex). The waiters and chefs and kitchen staff work very hard to please their guests.

All in all another lovely visit to the complex and we look forward to our return.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Gonefishin55
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Dear Gonefishin55,
It was a great pleasure to accomodate you both in the Don Marco for your recent stay. I am delighted that the staff looked after you so well and that you got to enjoy those spectacular sea-front views in the Marco.
I appreciate all your positive comments and your patience with the over run of works on the swimming pool. I hope that we see you again soon so you can appreciate how beautiful the new pool area has turned out.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Visited 19th-26th May 2013, just as the tourist season proper is getting underway. Reception staff were reasonably friendly upon arrival, they looked a bit weary perhaps because it was 10pm and they work very hard. Restaurant was open a little later than most hotels in the area, which is useful if you're on a late flight, and like us always end up rushing to get to the food after a tiring journey.

Rooms were great, quite spacious and cleaned well. The pool view rooms are a little extra but worth it. Of course you can use any of the facilities in the three interlinked 'Sol don' hotels, the shooting and archery are basic but still good relaxing fun, bowling greens are a bit worn just due to their popularity as these hotels are a bit of a favourite with the older crowd, the number of (well-kept) pools will keep kids busy May to October, probably best to stick with the indoor pool out of season. Also there is a Jacuzzi on a terrace with clear perspex surrounds and no roof, which I really like. Sunshine, slight breeze and a jacuzzi at the same time really makes you feel 'on holiday'.

Breakfast was 1st class, lots of choice and the best poached eggs I've ever had. Dinner also was of a very good standard, plenty of meat dishes and some variation each night unlike many other hotels on the Costa Del Sol. Only one slight complaint on one occasion uneaten food (sausages) from breakfast had clearly been 'recycled' into a dish for the evening, by which point they were very dry indeed. Of course I'm sure we all reheat food at home, but it's not ideal practice for a hotel that in all other regards is above that kind of thing, though I should note this only seemed to happen the once.

Overall a very nice stay, the entertainment and restaurant staff in particular are very good. There are a few hidden gems around the hotels and pools so it's worth doing some exploring. There are also two shops just outside the hotel which is very useful. I am returning in July this year to try out one of the slightly cheaper 'sister' hotels. If I had one tip it would be to book early as prices can rise quite steeply, a measure of these hotel's popularity.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark B

Dear Mark B,
Thank you for your very complete and in-depth review of your last stay at the Sol Don Marco. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your stay so much and I even more so to hear that you hope to return to the complex in summer.
Please allow me to mention that we cannot reuse food that has been on the buffet as all the foods are temperature and time controlled. If this has occurred in the past I apologise and we will ensure that it cannot occur in the future.
We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

there are no shaver points in the bathroom so if like me you have an electric toothbrush you will need a usa adaptor we could not buy on ein the resort but the ever helpful Miguel got one for us !! The food is excellent the staff are friendly Pedro the bar manager is wonderful al in all a brilliant hotel only thing would be the wifi should be free throughout hotel

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Deaqr Kate055,
I am glad that you have enjoyed the Don Marco so much. I really appreciate your taking the time to let us know. I am also happy to have your positive comments about Miguel and I do take note of the comment about the WiFi. We have just doubled the speed of the free WiFi in the lobby and bar areas and it is now possible to connect more than one device to the paying service.
I hope that we see you again soon.