“great hotel”

Sol Don Marco by Melia
Ranked #11 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 18, 2014

This hotel was a really pleasant surprise. The grounds are lovely, the location is good, the rooms are spotless. The food was very good and the hotel staff were all lovely. I would definitely rate this as a real four star hotel. To find any fault at all, I would say the beds are a bit hard and I did try to contact the hotel to request a fifth floor room but never had any reply to my three email requests. Apart from the lack of contact and the hard mattresses, I thought this hotel was excellent and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We did try to get the fifth floor as many trip advisor reviews comment on this but it was full
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank J P
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear J P,
Thank you for choosing the Don Marco and thank you also for taking the time to write your review. It is wonderful to have positive feedback but even more important to hear how we can improve.
I am sorry about the lack of response to your enquiry. I would be very grateful to know how you attempted to contact us so that I can ensure that we improve in this repsect. As far as the mattresses are concerned it is true that they are firm. We have softer matttreses available upon request.
I hope that we have the chance to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Thanks to the superb customer service of Senor Jaime Floyer, hotel manager, my sister and I were finally able to experience a stay in a 'stunning sea view' room in the Don Marco. We have now stayed in all three of the hotels in the complex and have enjoyed each one. All three hotels have their own style. The Marco is very much a 'zen' area with eastern style decor and tinkling water sounds and music playing quietly in the background. Perfect place to escape the hubbub and read a good book. The rooms are smartly decorated although a little smaller than the pablo as are the balconies but the views from the front room are unbeatable, especially from a higher floor. The furniture is well maintained and beds comfortable. We liked the bathroom layout with a separate shower cubicle. We were very well looked after by our room attendant Maria-Jose who was most helpful and friendly and very thorough in her cleaning duties.

The marco shares all the facilities of the other two hotels but provides a more tranquil atmosphere.

The pool work was still going on during our visit but there are plenty other pools and sunbathing areas in the complex if you do a bit exploring.

We found again in the main the staff are all very friendly and helpful, some more so than others, we found Pedro the bar manager most accommodating and friendly as was his colleague on the evening of 31st March on our arrival - we didnt catch his name but along with Pedro he made us very welcome.

The service in the dining room was as good as it always is (this was our seventh visit to the complex). The waiters and chefs and kitchen staff work very hard to please their guests.

All in all another lovely visit to the complex and we look forward to our return.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Gonefishin55
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Dear Gonefishin55,
It was a great pleasure to accomodate you both in the Don Marco for your recent stay. I am delighted that the staff looked after you so well and that you got to enjoy those spectacular sea-front views in the Marco.
I appreciate all your positive comments and your patience with the over run of works on the swimming pool. I hope that we see you again soon so you can appreciate how beautiful the new pool area has turned out.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Visited 19th-26th May 2013, just as the tourist season proper is getting underway. Reception staff were reasonably friendly upon arrival, they looked a bit weary perhaps because it was 10pm and they work very hard. Restaurant was open a little later than most hotels in the area, which is useful if you're on a late flight, and like us always end up rushing to get to the food after a tiring journey.

Rooms were great, quite spacious and cleaned well. The pool view rooms are a little extra but worth it. Of course you can use any of the facilities in the three interlinked 'Sol don' hotels, the shooting and archery are basic but still good relaxing fun, bowling greens are a bit worn just due to their popularity as these hotels are a bit of a favourite with the older crowd, the number of (well-kept) pools will keep kids busy May to October, probably best to stick with the indoor pool out of season. Also there is a Jacuzzi on a terrace with clear perspex surrounds and no roof, which I really like. Sunshine, slight breeze and a jacuzzi at the same time really makes you feel 'on holiday'.

Breakfast was 1st class, lots of choice and the best poached eggs I've ever had. Dinner also was of a very good standard, plenty of meat dishes and some variation each night unlike many other hotels on the Costa Del Sol. Only one slight complaint on one occasion uneaten food (sausages) from breakfast had clearly been 'recycled' into a dish for the evening, by which point they were very dry indeed. Of course I'm sure we all reheat food at home, but it's not ideal practice for a hotel that in all other regards is above that kind of thing, though I should note this only seemed to happen the once.

Overall a very nice stay, the entertainment and restaurant staff in particular are very good. There are a few hidden gems around the hotels and pools so it's worth doing some exploring. There are also two shops just outside the hotel which is very useful. I am returning in July this year to try out one of the slightly cheaper 'sister' hotels. If I had one tip it would be to book early as prices can rise quite steeply, a measure of these hotel's popularity.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark B

Dear Mark B,
Thank you for your very complete and in-depth review of your last stay at the Sol Don Marco. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your stay so much and I even more so to hear that you hope to return to the complex in summer.
Please allow me to mention that we cannot reuse food that has been on the buffet as all the foods are temperature and time controlled. If this has occurred in the past I apologise and we will ensure that it cannot occur in the future.
We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

there are no shaver points in the bathroom so if like me you have an electric toothbrush you will need a usa adaptor we could not buy on ein the resort but the ever helpful Miguel got one for us !! The food is excellent the staff are friendly Pedro the bar manager is wonderful al in all a brilliant hotel only thing would be the wifi should be free throughout hotel

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Deaqr Kate055,
I am glad that you have enjoyed the Don Marco so much. I really appreciate your taking the time to let us know. I am also happy to have your positive comments about Miguel and I do take note of the comment about the WiFi. We have just doubled the speed of the free WiFi in the lobby and bar areas and it is now possible to connect more than one device to the paying service.
I hope that we see you again soon.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

My wife and I are just back from a stay at this hotel, paid the extra this time for a room with a view and it was well worth it overlooking the beach and the med. The room was on the second floor above the front sun terrace, very comfortable and clean which also had a trouser press, the bathroom had a bath and a separate shower cubicle and there was also a hair dryer. The cleaning staff were very good and friendly. The choice of food is also very good at breakfast and evening meal. The restaurant in the don Pablo was being used for the meals, since our last trip this restaurant has been extended with more tables and chairs, the hot food selection area has also been modernised which makes it very light and flowing for food choices. Since I have previously written a review for this hotel all I can say is that my wife and I like it and we can not fault it for a holiday and once again we will definitely be back.

1  Thank george k
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear george k,
It is great to hear from repeat customers and even more so when they approve of the improvements that we have made to the services. Thank you for letting us know. I really hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Weather good,location excellent,Marco reception restaurant & bar closed due to out of season, disappointed with location of bedroom,felt we were in don Pablo ,stayed in Marco previously,and like the reception area in the evening,did request at reception for a room nearer there,cleaning was excellent

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
2  Thank cuddles60
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Dear cuudles60,
Thank you for choosing the Don Marco again and for taking the time to share your experience.
In winter the Don Marco remains as a satellite of the Don Hotels Complex for guests who want to be away from it all. The bar and reception desk remain closed although full reception services are offered in the Don Pedro (which is the same building) and all the activities and services for dining a bars are available in the Pedro and Pablo. I know it is not for everyone but we have many guests who choose the Marco in winter especially because it is very quiet.
Perhaps another time you would prefer the Don Pablo which is a little busier and has more activity.
Thanks for you review and please accept apologies if you were a little disappointed.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

After being unable to get in at the hotel we have been going to for the last 6/7 years we were very sceptical about finding somewhere new but we need not have worried. Although part of quite a large complex we found the Don Marco to be very quiet and had a lovely spacious room with a sea view and a large balcony. Meals were taken in the Don Pablo dining room and although the restaurant is quite large it was light and airy, especially in the conservatory area. The meals were excellent with a vast choice of meat and fish dishes and an 'Italian' corner with different pasta dishes and the wines were very reasonable. At breakfast time there was just about everything you could ask for. All staff we encountered were friendly and efficient. The hotel is in a good position right on the promenade. We will certainly be back again next year.

Room Tip: Pay the little bit extra and get a sea view room, preferably on a high floor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tepore

Dear tepore,
I am so glad that your bad luck brought you to us as the Don Marco and that you found that you had fallen on your feet. Thank you for letting everyone know how happy you were with your stay. We very much look forward to welcoming you again in the future.