“Don marco”

Sol Don Marco
Ranked #10 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Impressive entrance and foyer. Good standard of food in a convenienient location. Very well priced for half board. Lots of pools to choose from but bar areas very busy with not enough tables and chairs on an evening. Good restaurants and bars nearby. Ideal break for a week away.

3  Thank igOthere42
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear igOthere42,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Sol Don Marco and the Don Hotels complex. I am glad that you enjoyed the time spent here. I see that your review is from September of last year so I will see why the service in the bars in the evening was not up to scratch.
We hope to welcome you back.

There are newer reviews for Sol Don Marco

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Location is Excellent, set on the Playa de Bajondillo beach. From Malaga Station, take the train (~3 euros, 15min trip, every 20 mins) to Torremolinos station (plaza), either utlise the taxis outside of the plaza, or walk ( ~10 minutes) from the other end of the plaza & make your way decsending down gioreta lorna del los riscos, & make your way to the beach (picasso 2 ladies sculpture roundabout). Turn right, and the Hotel as it's own private entrance 100 metres down
Don't be confused. The entrance is shared amongst the 3 hotels in the same complex. though you have access to all 5 pools (+ indoor pool)
Outside peak months, reception closed, use Hotel Don Pablo
More direct access visa the steps...via the lift, to the centre you learn to find
Breakfast @ ~7-15 GBP per day is pricey, quality of hot food is 'good', range of breakfast food to good-to-very good'. Gym is small but 'good'
Room, with Balcony(shared) is 'very good' ~daily sunrise & sunsets
Dinner was wide ranging though declined the buffet-style, & ate in town & around andalucia.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Hotel I

Dear Hotel I,
Thank you for your very informative review of the Don Marco and the complex.
Although the Don Marco is currently open all year round it is true that during low season we close the Reception and offer that service in the Don Pedro which is the same building. Guests choosing the Marco in winter do so because they love the decoration of the rooms, almost all of which are on the sunny side of the building, and above all becuase it is very quiet and relaxed. They have the option of joing in with any activities or using the common areas of the other two hotels but can always guarantee peace in the Marco.
All three hotels have individual receptions and entrances from outside the hotel but there is a shared pedestrian access to the beach in front of the Don Marco entrance.
Many thanks again for the review. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Just back from a week at the Sol Don Marco for Xmas. Booked flights/hotel/transfers through Travel Republic - all very smooth and efficient.
The Don Marco is one of 3 interconnected hotels (with the Don Pedro and the Don Pablo) on one of the best sized and situated complexes in Torremolinos. Very pleasant garden areas in between the 3 buildings, and 30 seconds from the sea front. A few rooms in the Don Marco have a full on sea view, most just get glimpses.
Reception at present in the winter is in the Don Pedro rather than the Don Marco - so if your taxi drops you off at the Marco entrance like ours did you have a very short level walk through the gardens to the Pedro entrance. But once you are booked in you can come and go through the Marco entrance (the closest to the sea front) with your key card.
Reception staff were polite, friendly and efficient and spoke excellent English. We had 2 rooms on the 3rd floor of the Marco (if you get room 3026 and the room key card doesn't work very well, it isn't just you! That would be my one criticism of the hotel - I suffered no end of issues with my door - I think I got through 8 cards, one visit from the maintenance man, 4 new batteries, and a whole lot of "will it work this time?" angst! In the end it was a bit of a joke, but if I had been by myself it could have been a lot more worrying - 1 night it did take FORTY attempts to open my door! All the reception staff who I spoke to over this were helpful, but unless it was just me being a jinx, I think the whole door mechanism probably does need replacing!)
Rooms - both were twin (even though I was on my own), a decent size and well appointed. Plenty of furniture, nice spacious bathroom with exceedingly efficient shower, bath, hairdryer, TV (with BBC1), air-con/heating, balcony/chairs etc. Maids were friendly and efficient, but there didn't seem to be a set time they came - it ranged from just after 9am to 3pm. One room (3026) was on the shadier side overlooking the Marco/Pedro pool area; the other (3027) got sun in the early afternoon and was over the front entrance, looking over to the Don Pablo pool areas.
Pools - didn't use any outdoor one, but did use the very pleasant and quite large indoor one - seemed odd having to go outside to get to an inside pool (it's on the Pablo side of the complex). Toilets and a changing room available. I think you could also get a towel from reception for a deposit.
Food - we had half board - buffet breakfast and dinner. The Casares restaurant is on the ground floor where the Marco meets the Pedro (there is a 2nd restaurant in the Pablo). Great spread for breakfast - cold meat, cheese, cereal, fruit, yoghurt, cakes, bread (I was really impressed with the variety and quality of the bread/rolls etc offered), hot eggs, sausage, bacon, tomatoes, potato etc. A chef is there cooking eggs, so if you time it right you get a piping hot one! Coffee (not that great), tea, 4 kinds of juice to drink.
Dinner was again varied, tasty and impressive. Possibly slightly limiting for vegetarians or those who need to be absolutely sure of what meat they are eating - most of the time dishes were labelled with the main content - eg pork, but on 2 nights there were no labels. 2 or 3 types of fish each night, varied meats that usually included 2 types of pork, also beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, rabbit, and ham. Chef show cooking fresh supplies of 2 types of meat/fish constantly. Chips and 2 other types of potato, 3 hot veg plus a wide array of cold meats and salad. 2 soups every night. I must mention particularly the Italian Corner (Rincon) - it is slightly hidden away up the Marco end, but is well worth sussing out. It had a big dish of a different rice/risotto/paella each night, plus a lasagne, 2 plain pastas and 2 sauces, 2 types of pizza and 2 or 3 types of veg. I probably had something from there every night - I enjoyed mixing and matching! For desserts there were cakes, blancmanges, yoghurts, ice cream, tinned and fresh fruit etc. Drinks were ordered from the waiter (or you could get something from the bar near by). Water was 1.95E, wine around 8E for a half bottle and 12 for a full bottle.
We also had a 6 or 7 course waiter served Xmas Day gala meal - this was at a set time in a ballroom over in the Don Pablo (I think the hotel could have made it slightly clearer about the timings for this - lots of people arrived late, presumably having not realised it started at a set time). I found this meal a bit too rich and lot too much - but I am not a big eater. The quality however was very good. All drinks were free at this meal.
Bars - Bar Andalucia in the Pedro was a decent size and had entertainment from 8pm every night. There are other bars, some of which weren't open in the winter.
Guests - lots of British, (seemed to be maybe 50%), mostly 60+, some looked to be long stay for a few weeks. A few families - not many young couples. I guess this was due to it being winter/Xmas, but if you are young and want the company of other young adults for socialising I wouldn't really recommend it to you. Spanish, French, German, Dutch and Italian folk as well.
Free Wifi in the bar areas downstairs, but not in your rooms (you could pay). Connection and speed good in the morning and in the evening, but not as good in the middle of the day/afternoon.
Plenty of activities in the day if you wished - shooting, yoga, bowls, dance lessons etc.

Location - on sea front up the end of Torre nearest to Malaga - 10/15 mins from the airport. Flat pedestrianised walk the whole way to Benalmadena - very pleasant to do, lots to see - especially in La Carihuela area. I made it 8.5 miles from the hotel to Benal Marina, on along Benal prom to Bil Bil castle and back.
Town centre is about 15 mins (uphill walk) away - you either go along the prom then up the somewhat steep steps (or find the lift by the Gran Cervantes), or if you go out the back of the hotel there is a gentler but constant uphill walk - I preferred this.
Things to do - train is close by, easy, cheap, quick and ON TIME!! Train to Malaga and Fuengirola were both 3.80E return, and took about 15-20 mins. Malaga is great - quite a compact city with plenty to see and do. We walked from the station (end of the line) up the Gibalfaro Castle - a testing walk but well worth the views from the castle.
Fuengirola is the end of the line in the other direction - long flat prom to walk along. I stayed there a previous Xmas, and think I certainly prefer Torremolinos of the 2. Fuengirola looked a bit tired out of season I thought. Saying that, I wouldn't contemplate either of them in the summer - too hot, crowded and noisy for sure.
There is a cable car at the Arroyo de Miel area of Benalmadena (2 mins walk from the train station of the same name) - really enjoyed going up the mountain (you can get a 2E discount voucher from the tourist office).
Nice gardens/parks - Battery Park in Torre - about 40 mins steady uphill walk from hotel (or along front to Carihuela then 10 mins steep uphill) - very well laid out park with a lake, a tower, cannons, play equipment and great views. Also Paloma Park in Benal Costa - about 5 mins uphill walk from Bil Bil Castle - a little more natural, with a lake, plenty of shady paths, plus chickens and rabbits wandering free!
In summary - I was impressed by Torremolinos as a winter destination, and certainly very impressed by the Sol Don Marco - I would recommend it.

Room Tip: High floor (Marco has 4 floors) get better views; some have full sea view. Odd number rooms got more...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank Teee7
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

What a wonderful review Teee7; really thorough and in-depth. Thank you for taking the time.
I am so sorry about the lock. The key card system does occasionally produce errors but not on this scale. It is clear that the lock itself was faulty. If it has not already been changed I will see that it is done.
As regards the rest of your review; thank you again. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We got a great deal through Ba.com holidays. Flights and half board for £150 each for 4 nights. The hotel is situated on the beachfront. We got a train from Malaga than a cab to the hotel which costs 7E. Much cheaper then cab. We were given a smoking room which was asked for with balcony overlooking the pool. Room was clean and bathroom a great size....both a bath and a seperate shower. The food for half board was excellent. No complaints from us. We asked for an iron and board. Only to be told there are no ironing boards in any of the 3 hotels (which are connected). Our half board was in the Pedro hotel as the hotels were quiet, which was fine. I think we were the youngest at the hotel, the entertainment was geared to the older clientele who were staying. However, we went into town everynight. As it rained non stop for 4 days, there is little to do during the day in Torremolinos. We took a train to Fuengirola and stayed for about an hour as the rain continued to lash it down!

Would I stay here again?

YES. (but in summer!)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank daviduk1

I am sorry about your bad luck with the weather daviduk1. It doesn't matter how philosophical one tries to be, a rainy break at the seaside is always dissappointing. I'm glad to hear at least that the Don Marco didn't dissappoint.
You will find that the demographics of the clientelle changes considerably during the year. In summer there are lots of families and children in the Don Hotels complex - although we discourage them in the Don Marco itself, so maintaining a quieter environment.
I hope that you will come back in spring or summer and enjoy a better climate and livelier atmosphere.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed at the Sol Don Marco for 4 nights at the begining of July. Rooms are not huge but large enough, well decorated with good quality furnishings and a small balcony big enough for a table and 2 chairs. The bathroom was modern and very clean with bath and seperate shower cubicle,

2  Thank julie j

Thank you for your review julie j. I am glad that you enjoyed the Sol Don Marco. We hope to see you again next summer.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

It was our 2nd time at this hotel.We like the position as it's right on the beach front & only a 5 minute taxi drive from airport.Hotel is clean and modern.Cleaners come in every day & clean towells are left daily Beach towells are available. .Bed was really comfortable & there are extra pillows & blankets..Our balcony was over looking the beach & pools,which was nice.Breakfast very nice & lots to choose from.Would stay again

3  Thank maxine g

We very much look forward to seeing you back maxine g. I am so glad that you enjoyed your break.
Kind regarsds,

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed at the Don Marco 13/6/2012 for 10 days, this was our 4th time at this hotel complex, Never again the food is disgusting and we have always said that your hard to please if you do not enjoy the food at any Sol hotel. I complained to Hotel Manager and he basically said no one else found any complaints with the food. Well we would watch them leaving a full plate at morning and evening meals. Never again.

E. Cartman Newcastle England

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EIL640Newcastle
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear EIL640Newcastle,
I am extremely sorry to see that you did not enjoy your holidays back in June as you felt the food was not as you had hoped. I have spoken with the other members of the management team in the complex and unfortunately none can recall having spoken with you about this issue at the time; although admittedly it was almost six months ago.
I would very much like to know more specifically where you felt that the food was different (or worse) than on previous occassions. It is true that in the past year we have made a number of changes to the presentation of the buffet but these changes have been seen by most guests as improvements, and we have been receiving even more positive responses than previously. If there were any specific point that we could work on, however, I would be very happy to have the opportunity to do so.
Our guests' opinions are very important to us as they are our guide to continuous improvement. We thank you therefore for your input and are very sorry if you feel that we have let you down.