“As a base fine”

Ranked #61 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“As a base fine”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I am at the hotel now. Must say it is very clean and tidy. If you want to use this as a base it is great for getting around as train station is only a few mins walk. Food is the bad point here. Undercooked on most of the fish, not a lot of choice to be had. The only coffee they will serve after breakfast is out of the machine, which you have to have paper cups for, asked for a real china cup that is behind the bar,No was the answer. Next person to go to the bar was Spanish and yes you guessed it he got the real cup. So to sum it up clean hotel, close to trains but be careful on the food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kay W
HotelRoyalCosta, Community Manager at Royal Costa Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Kay,

Thanks for sharing your opinion with customers from Tripadvisor. We welcome your positive values ​​cleanliness of our Hotel. As for the buffet, we'll take note of your comments. We offer a wide variety of hot and cold dishes and crudittes for make your own salad. Unfortunately you did not find anything to your liking. We have spent many years hosting clients of all nationalities and we love it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Absolutely Loved everything about this Hotel.
We are 24 year old friends, and booked this hotel as it worked out the cheapest for us. Due to this we expected a bit of a dive.
However the hotel was brilliant, from the cleanliness of the lobby/rooms/pool area to the food and the staff.,

The food was very basic but there was always salad, meat, chips, rice, pasta. I am very fussy when it comes to food but always found something, They also do a picnic service if you go out for the day, you just order your lunch at reception and they have it ready for you.

The location is a bit naff, surrounded by houses, so on arriving we asked the very friendly reception staff for some advice on where to go. The train station is a 2 minute walk from the hotel and is around 1.70 to go pretty much anywhere.

Entertainment at the hotel was really good and they have free wifi. Every night there was something different on, A reptile show, flamenco dancing, a Charlie chaplin act, quiz's and a magician. So we stayed at the hotel every night for that and then got a taxi to a place called Porto Marina, It was 15Euros each way but worth every penny.

What a fantastic nightlife!!!

Porto Marina (24 hour square) consists of about 6-8 bars. this is where all the English/Irish bars are. 100% recommend this place for a night out if you are party animals!

Hotel is very family friendly, Lots of children there. There was a really good mix of people there at the same time as us, Lots of Spanish families, English couples and families, a hen party of 8 and a group of 6 young lads. Everybody respected everybody else's space and everybody seemed to get along.

The pool area is really nice but beware!!!!! The pool is 1.4m - 3m deep! There are some gardens/grass areas where you can sunbathe, right next to the pool/bar if there are no sunbeds left so this wasn't such a big deal to us. Also the beach is only a ten minute walk away, the sunbeds there are 4euros to rent for the day but they are luxury!!

Aircon in our room was fab and the housekeepers were in everyday without fail with clean towels, bedding and toilet rolls.

We both would go back to this hotel tomorrow if we could!! We loved every minute of it and were sad to leave!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lozziibongo
Dear Customer,

We are delighted to have exceeded your expectations during your stay. As you comment we offer an excellent value for money. In our buffet you'll always find something to your liking to enjoy a delicious dinner. It was a pleasure to have you with us at Hotel Royal Costa.

Best Regards,
walsall
Reviewed September 17, 2013

good points nice gardens. initial rooms allocated poor.upgraded to much better rooms on 2nd
floor.hotel very clean.aff on whole very helpfull. particularly gregorio & antonio on reception.
hotel to far from beach. only 1 small shop locally.however train station was a blessing.200
hundred yards away. quick cheap clean fast . we could learn a thing about service. no tours on show on desk.maintenance dept very efficient.animation team good.but only 3 good shows in 10 nights. now the bad points.played rap music?etc. all day VERY LOUD.would not turn it down.
worst of all THE FOOD!!! DISASTROUS FOR MOST OF OUR PARTY.oily not much choice for british tastes.not 1boiled egg in 11 days only fried on 3 days always scrambled.very few potatoes only on salad counter.when available only half cooked as was some fish.chips galore. variable
quality.though.good some days.meat ok at times.soup good 3 days .glassdrinks containers not allowed by bar /pool area. sensible.unless you paid for drinks . they allowed them. been in other 3* hotels.with far better choice of food. our party will not return again.for reasons stated to quiet. &to far from town &beach.

Room Tip: 2nd floor good .facing south.some noise from disco/bar but ok.geoff.&friends
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank geoff259
HotelRoyalCosta, Community Manager at Royal Costa Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Royal Costa for your holiday. We will take note of all your suggestions and comments. At the buffet we serve a wide variety of hot, cold and salads. It's a shame that there was nothing to your liking. As for the location is unbeatable, close to the beach and next to the train station. You can consult our website, in the section location.

Llangefni, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Having read several reviews on this hotel before going, we went here with an open mind. Was very pleasantly surprised when we got there very clean hotel our room was cleaned every day and we had new towels every day.

Pool and sunbed area was brushed and hosed down every morning.

The food was great, all the reviews I read said the fool was awful but I disagree we found something to eat everyday from hot to cold meals, also spoke to a couple from Liverpool who only go all inclusive and they rated the food very highly.

Also there is Spanish holiday makers there who are quite rude but there was also a few English obnoxious holiday makers there who were loud and loved the sound of there own voices who I overheard saying "cant wait to go home and have English food fish and chips and beef chow mein" that says it all doesn't it.

I would definitely go back to stay at the Royal Costa just hope the moaning English visitors who wrote bad reviews will not be there go and stay in 4star hotels and pay the earth.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Cheryl T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My partner and I spent a week at this hotel early september of this year. After reading a mix of reviews we arrived open minded we were pleasantly surprised, the Hotel itself is immaculate and very modern and our room was perfect, quite spacious with a great view of the pool from our balcony. Our room was cleaned everyday to the highest of standards (and I am very fussy)
The food was ok (bit heavy on the salt for me) and there was plenty of it, it is constantly replenished, they provide an array of hot and cold options. One thing I did like was that the meal times were quite long, for example breakfast was from 7:00 until 10:30. In most places you would find by about 10 the food would gone or cold but this was never the case always plenty to go around. We went all inclusive so in between meals we were provided with snacks at that bar by the pool.

We spent most of our time at the Beach which is a short distance away, a pleasant 10 minute walk from the hotel. The hotel provides a picnic service and we ordered one of these for our afternoon at the beach.
The Hotel staff were extremely polite and smiley and most of them could speak and understand english so the language barrier wasn't a problem. They were always happy to help and we felt very looked after.

I only have a few negative comments about the hotel which include the entertainment in the evening, there wasn't any really, because of this we vacated to our room quite early which is when we could have benefited from international channels on the TV provided in our room. I would suggest spending afternoons at the beach unless you don't mind kids bombing in the pool and splashing you every 5 minutes and I must agree with previous reviews, there isn't many sun loungers provided and people tend to wake up early, put their towels down to reserve them to return hours later.

overall my partner and I throughly enjoyed our stay at the Royal Costa and would stay there again. Very good value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lia m
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I came here for one night as a stop over as I did not want to be travelling so late. I arrived around midnight. The ladies in reception were nice but they did not speak much english (not that I expected them to) & I not much Spanish but check in was fine. I was travelling alone and female and on the way to my room approached by two very drunk men one who tried to grab my key card away from me and the other asked me to come into their room. (which was next to Mine) Which was rather off putting after evading them I couldn't get into my room as the key card wouldn't work, three times I had to go back to reception as the card wouldn't work as I say staff were lovely but massive language barrier on both sides, got into room, was very basic, only one plug socket for the whole room which the television was plugged into, very clean but very minimal but I didn't expect much. Didn't feel very safe as the men next door were banging about loudly for several hours. Awoke to noises of Trains as the hotel is Right next to the tracks. Didn't have breakfast as I was too eager to get out of there. Obviously what happened with the drunk men was not there fault but did not feel very safe.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank SNewman2013
Dear customer,

We deeply regret your event at our facility. We will take note of your comments and will do our best to improve in this area. Thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Travelers are raving about these Torremolinos hotels

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Me and my Mrs stayed for 10 nights.
Everyone says the place was spotless but our room floor was always dirty and had fag ash on the balcony everyday. (we don’t smoke) One day we went back early while room was been cleaned and the filthy cleaner had put our swimming costumes into the bidet. (what a horrible thing to do) We had to throw them in the bin after that. Everyday the rooms were getting cleaned about 3pm but on the day of our departure they were knocking on the door at 9.30am.
I enjoyed the food the first 4 days then it just went down hill but im not fussy. The down side to it was their meals were not served until 7.30 at night so if you wanted to go out it was too late. . A lot of UK people were horrified by the food. I read one review that said recycled puddings and I laughed so hard as there were so right with their review.
Like a lot of reviews state its not a tourist hotel, its main focus is the Spanish and I would normally say that’s ok because its their country. The problem is, (and I never knew this before my stay) The Spanish are an arrogant rude bunch. I came away with no respect for them after this trip. The hotel staff did the bare minimum they had to. The sun longers were a carry on too. I counted 40 in total with 189 rooms is not ideal. Even worse was the amount of towels on them and no one about. We were always up early so got one when we wanted. On our last day the 40 beds were all taken with towels but only 6 were been used and no one else was around. (we just went the beach most days) Some people were in tears on our second last day as it was really bad. At nights you get the first rush of loud people at 11pm making a racket and waking everyone up, Someone in the room next to us got slapped. The next rush is at 2am of fools drunk shouting and banging the length of the hotel. Not good for us as we had planned excursions most days. Rip off include £30 for safety deposit box and £12 for a kettle for the room but no cups or coffee. Would not go here on a free trip and all the UK guest agreed.
The pool was a bit of a danger with kids jumping in at all angles, You were to scared to go for a swim in case one jumped on your head, even though there is a sign with rules right next to the pool. The life guard was on patrol to get some sun beds for people but it was no use
AREA: the train, Some reviews said to get the train from the airport to save a transfer but if you land after 6pm and have kids for your own safety I would not do this. 3 times we were on that train after 8pm and we got or saw trouble. There are 2 burly security on the trains with batons so what does that tell you. The area of the hotel is rough too, loads of graffiti and every house has big metal locks on everything. (photos to prove it) One night we were overlooking the balcony watching a guy getting out of his car and going through all the bins. It was good entertainment I think he even got a few tins of juice. The bins were another story, stinking lying out on the street just a filthy country. One bin even has graffiti on it that says STINK, we took a photo of this as it was amusing. There is a shop run by a Chinese man round the corner but he hates his life too, so instead walk towards the beach there is a nice wee shop on the right very fresh fruit and pleasant. P.S watch your feet as dog dirt everywhere.
To sum it all up do yourself a favour and do not go to this place or even better do not go to Spain as the people do not deserve the business and will bend over backwards to rip you off. The place is dirty and smells of sewage. If I wanted to see what the UK looked like in 1979 I would go to Torremolinos but be aware everyone will want your money and try to sell you rubbish.

Room Tip: A room in the 30s gets the sun in the afternoon.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank James M
Dear Customer,

Thank you for choosing to spend your vacation. We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us and in our country. We will take note of your suggestions on our hotel to improve in everything possible. I think your comments are not entirely objective or fair about our country. Spain is a destination choose for millions of tourists every year and Torremolinos is a leader in this area. We regret that you've taken this impression of us. Our hotel hosts many families of all nationalities every year. We are happy to welcome him back.