Not a good start when we arrived when booking in. To be fair booking in time was 3.00pm and we arrived with our Thomson crew about 12.00. Most peoples rooms were ready but we were asked to come back in an hour. So we had a couple of gin and tonics and went back an hour later. Again the room wasn't ready and asked to return in another hour. It was a little inconvenient but went for lunch before returning. Hooray our room was now ready so we got there and was greeted with an overwhelming stench of tobacco smoke. My wife has asthma but even if she didn't we shouldn't be expected to find this acceptable. So another trip to reception to explain but to no avail; there were no other rooms available. They said that they would "sort out" the smell. It was blatantly obvious that they were going to do nothing so my wife went to the manager to complain. He was a very pleasant man and within minutes got us a new room which actually smelt of fresh air much to the annoyance of the reception staff!
So we settled in and got on with our holiday. All the rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful and were very hardworking generally.
The hotel and the rooms were kept very clean although we did both succumb at different times to a 24 hour tummy bug that we had read about on previous reviews.
The food was pretty standard all inclusive fare but perhaps a bit samey and uninspiring. We never starved at any point in the holiday but got a bit fed up of the same offerings by the end.
The entertainment left a little to be desired for us although most people seemed to quite enjoy it. My wife and I are in our 50s whereas the vast majority were 70+ and the entertainment was obviously targeting their end of the spectrum. It did seem like an elderly rest home a lot of the time but we made the most of it.
Torremolinos is a nice resort and we would not hesitate coming back to the area but definitely not to this hotel which is right on the outskirts of the resort about two miles along the promenade from the centre. Public transport is good and reasonably cheap but we liked to walk to most places in the generally pleasant winter sunshine; the climate here for January is lovely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located 2 km from Torremolinos * Opposite Torremolinos beach, 50 m away * 2 km from various shops * 5 km from the airport * 10 km from Malaga * 50 m from a bus stop * 1.5 Km from the train station * Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Riu Belplaya
- Riu Belplaya Torremolinos
- ClubHotel Riu Costa Del Sol Torremolinos, Spain