After staying in the Riu Cancun in Mexico, we were determined to find a hotel of similar calibre. However we were very disappointed. If the Riu Cancun was a four star, then in comparison this is a very poor three star. Luckily we were given a very large end room with a huge balcony alongside the hotel so we could see right along the beach in both directions. The staff were friendly and the hotel spotless. The beach was just over the road.
However the room and beach towels were very thin. The two lifts were not adequate and twice we had to climb 7 floors because they were not working. The food was very disappointing - very little choice at any of the meals. I was especially disappointed to find there were no bowls of fruit for breakfast - I have never come across this before in any hotel.
There were 2 sittings for dinner. We were assigned a table on the first sitting at 6.45pm but when we arrived in the restaurant we were told there were no seats available for us. We were booked into the poolside restaurant but settled for second sitting. We found that as 6pm is the hottest time of the day we were reluctant to leave our sunbeds at this time. 8.45pm was much more suitable especially if you have been out all day. After dinner we found it difficult to get an outside seat as the two areas available were very small.
We never watched the entertainment so cannot comment. We often had to wait in a queue to order drinks as there may only be one bar staff working. We were expecting our mini bar to be stocked so we could sit on our balcony. Another disappointment was that there are no outside lights on the hotel so if you want to play cards or do puzzles after 8pm on the balcony it is far too dark.
The location was at the quiet end. We walked into the town up the long hill, up the steps and we tried the lift. The lift was a waste of time as there were so many steps at both ends. The train station and bus station are about a 20mins walk away. We caught the train to Benalmadena but as both stations are far out, it was quicker to walk back.
I think that the classification of hotels in comparison to other countries is misleading.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located 2 km from Torremolinos * Opposite Torremolinos beach, 50 m away * 2 km from various shops * 5 km from the airport * 10 km from Malaga * 50 m from a bus stop * 1.5 Km from the train station * Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Riu Belplaya
- Riu Belplaya Torremolinos
- ClubHotel Riu Costa Del Sol Torremolinos, Spain