“well run Hotel”

Riu Hotel Bella Playa
6 night stay
feb 2013 (Winter break)
Room 5 (Floor -1)
After a smooth Faultless 1hr50m British Airways flight From a Snowy Gatwick we arrived at Malaga Spain.
We picked up our pre paid Hire car (small 1.2 Fiat panda £43)which we booked through Economy Car Hire.com, I must stress pre pay your add on insurance First before you leave the UK(it cost me £12.00 for 6 days or it will sting you up to £70 on site).then off to the Hotel.

On arrival we were met with a Smiling attentive receptionist who whilst booking us in served us with two chilled glasses of Cava,(Spanish bubbly),A Very welcomed start.(well done)
We made our way to room 5 it was on floor -1 which at first was disconcerting thinking we were in the basement ,well were wrong the room was spacious with a large balcony next to the sun terrace with large patio doors, the room is equipped with TV (CRT) with only ITV+1 on it (im on holiday not here to watch TV so its ok),the room has a bath/shower with water pressure that pins you to the floor,toilet and bidet (good for cleaning you feet!),black out curtains which are great for the afternoon siesta,NO clock or alarm so bring your own,ceiling fan which is a bit noisy ,large wardrobe and bed side lights.but overall comfortable clean.NO kettle!

We were on an all inclusive basis so our first stop was the restaurant for lunch.(Now as a chef for 35 years this section will be detailed) Lunch comprised of two Fresh soups,fresh breads,at least 6 different main courses including Fish,chicken,pork,and beef (Note;If you are Muslim ….you will starve!no halal meat and lots of pork and all cooked on the same griddle so you had it!) all main courses are cooked by one of the many quality chefs ,we even had rabbit one night which was great,there is a chilled salad bar of fresh crudities and composite salads,cold meat cuts including salami,cheese,and hams about ten dressings,ample fresh fruits and desserts including ice cream with its own heated scoop bath,but If you are exploring the area you can request a packed lunch which consists of 3 pieces of fruit and a 500ml water NO CARB's.(i little disappointing if you have children as it is not balanced)
The hygiene is excellent and the temperature of the food and plates were as they should be, overall the food is excellent and plentiful,If I was to squeeze a criticism on the food it would be that some local food like seafood,dried ham,would not go a miss but its not for everyones taste (actually on Valantines day prawns and serano ham was on the menu but that may have been because of the day).Dinner and Breakfast were equally of high standard,....”great bacon”
Drinks,in the bar were good and plentiful,not branded but still good,free pour spirits and local chilled spanish beer,with a cocktail menu which is very good with some old favourites.
Drinks in the restaurant re all on tap,Red ,White,Rose wine,beer and a range of post mix “Coca Cola” brands,Tea(inc.herb infusions) coffee.

Entertainment,I must confess we were not enticed to the entertainment as it was aimed at the Dutch German clients but to be honest we explored during the day so we were too knackered to go to it.so don't read in to this much.

Overview;The RIU Bella Playa Is a Quality Hotel with extremely professional staff,a well managed clean and safe base to explore the Costa del sol,as a person that has been in the Hotel industry for over 35 years it comes highly recommended but go all inclusive just for the ease of it.
(Note to the Head Chef....Respectfully “sort your packed lunch out its the only let down”)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Gazza1287

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,032)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Midlands
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was a last minute 7 day break before Christmas.
I found everything to my satisfaction.
The staff were friendly and efficient.
The service was excellent at all times.
Large rooms which were spotless.
The hotel has two accommodation blocks. If you do not like heights then make sure you get a low floor room.
Entertainment was great.
Retaurant was well run and provided excellent food.
There is a pool bar and a reception bar. In winter the pool bar is not open. However, there are soft drinks machines located at the poolside together with tea and coffe making facilities.There also beer fonts at the poolside.
The hotel has a nice poolside area with plenty of sun beds, tables ands chairs. there is also an indoor heated pool and spa.
The location is on the promenade with good access to shops etc.
Local bus is free and the railway staion is about 15 minutes away. A cheap and very efficent way of getting out and about. 1.90 euros per journey.
My partner and I enjoyed our stay so much that we have booked to return for her birthday in April. This time staying 9 nights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank John H
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I booked this holiday two weeks before departure, it was my first ever flight and package holiday. We arrived at the hotel and were greeted with a drink whilst we booked in. We had booked in knowing it was the "winter months" . We were pleasantly surprised, the hotel was very clean and the staff were very helpful and attentive. We had a family room which included a separate living area with a pull out sofa bed and a single bed. My husbands birthday was whilst we were away, I had not informed the staff, however on the day when we went to dinner there was a bottle of Cava on ice and a candle lit which was a nice touch. As we were in the winter season the snacks menu was limited, so the food was three meals a day, however, there was a lot of variety and it was not "recycled" food. I am also vegetarian and this was not an issue with the menu. I have read previous comments about smoking (I do not smoke) but I did not find this a problem. The entertainment was a little cheesy but as I say its the winter months and geared for the older generation. Its in a good location to go exploring and the staff are very helpful when you ask for guidance. Do go to San Migel street for shopping!!!!!!! its better than the markets. All in all, I loved my holiday, the sun was shining, the staff were more than pleasant and the only thing that would have made it a five star is to have tea and coffee making facilities in the room (although I am told this is a British thing). Would I go back? yes I would, without a shadow of a doubt.

10 Thank Nyree410
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Would love to review this hotel but did not get the option as our booking made via the internet on the Riu site last May for a stay in February this year was cancelled by them one week prior to our arrival. We received an e-mail which stated our credit card had been declined and if when they re-presented it in three days time it was declined again our booking would be cancelled. I e-mailed reservations immediately, telephoned them on numerous occasions and also e-mailed the hotel direct three times and got no response. Only one person in reservations offered to contact the hotel who said my room had now been cancelled and re sold. I checked with my credit card company and they assured me no request for payment had been made by Riu. After days of been messed about I booked elsewhere and friends we were meeting at the hotel also cancelled their booking. We are Riu class members, have stayed at many Riu hotels and never received such atrocious service, to date we still have not received any apology. Interestingly we noted when we looked back on line that the hotel for our dates was fully booked, in fact in my opinion overbooked, hence our problem.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mike B
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

10/02/2013 winter sun break.

There are smokers next to every single exterior door which is usually open so the smell is inside every corridor or lobby next to these doors. This could so easily be fixed by the hotel.

As has been stated by others the sun terrace is just full of smokers and it's such a sheltered, lovely, still, sun trap that the fumes go nowhere. A simple line down the middle with no smoking signs would solve this issue but I guess the hotel doesn't think it is an issue? If you don't like smoking please complain to reception or they will never know.

It's not quite as bad next to the pool because the pool is not as sheltered so the fumes disperse more. But it still stinks!

It's a lovely hotel, it's spotless, the rooms are a very nice size, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the food on the whole is very nice. As long as you like fish, as some nights there is a fair amount of fish. Our last meal (16/02/2013) had 7 meat options, only 2 were not fish, my wife doesn't like fish! D'oh.

In February next to the pool it's lovely and sheltered most of the time so you can catch the sun. If you can't catch the sun by the pool then you can on the sun terrace, Providing you can put up with the smoke.

The hotel is ideally positioned for train, bus and beach. Short walk to the train station and approximately €1.60 for the train to Malaga. Bus into Torremolinos stops literally outside.

If it wasn't for the smoking I would have rated it 5. I'd go back but I would highlight the smoking more the next time!

Room Tip: Corner room 222 is the other side of a thin wall to the maids store room! So if you want to be woken...
2 Thank Busa1999
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

After a short bus ride from the airport we arrived at the hotel. Although check in was a bit chaotic we were given a glass of cava whilst we waited. Our room wasnt ready so we left our cases and went off to explore.
Torremolinos is spotless and very child friendly with play parks everywhere, even on the beach...our kids were in heaven!
Our room was 323, a family room overlooking the terrace and pool. The room was dated but we couldnt fault our cleaner who left shaped towels for the kids who thought it was brilliant.
All the staff at the hotel were friendly and very helpful, the food was great with lots of choice, again cant fault it.
The only downfall with going in the winter was that we couldnt really use the pool as it was far too cold. We asked if we could use the neighbouring Riu hotels indoor pool but were told no. Cristina our thomson rep was very helpful drawing maps so we could find places!! Would recommend visiting the battery park and the crocodile park.

Would def stay again, we went half term week so our kids had other kids to play with. Entertainment was low key although we didnt really watch it as our son wanted to run around the hotel instead.

5 Thank Hooke269
Skegness, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just returned from a 4 week stayat the Belplaya and from the moment we arrived at reception it became a 5 star service.The welcome was great and quick,the bedroom was large,clean and kept very clean throughout how stay.The dining room was smart and clean and the food selection,quality and presentation was 1st class with all the staff working very hard.The bar service again was 1st class and quality of drinks very good along with the entertainment and annimation staff but the entertainment lounge was not big enough to accomodate all visitors.The pool area,gym,indoor pool and general areas of the hotel were always very clean.The management always on hand ensuring your stay was acceptable along with all the staff need to be congratulated on there welcoming smiles and quality of service they all gave.I was also made welcome at the Belplaya Bowls Club so this is a hotel we will be returning too.

Room Tip: side sea view room high floor sunny room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple