“Lovely, relaxing holiday”

Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely, relaxing holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

I was VERY concerned before visiting as I had read the recent reviews and they had got increasingly worse. DO NOT PANIC - people are complaining and over exaggerating.
Here's a little account of our holiday.
My boyfriend and I were collected from the airport and it took only 10 minutes to arrive at Belplaya, being the first drop off is brilliant! We arrived at around 11:30pm and we were greated kindly by the check in staff, along with a cold glass of orange juice in a champagne flute. There was also a light dinner layed on for us,which we had not expected.
Drinks were ample - everything you could want and the slush puppies were a life saver at the hottest point of the day! Many guests asked for vodka to be added to their slush too! The bar staff are fun and willing to serve whatever you wish for. Their alcohol measures are ALOT bigger than here in the UK. I work in a bar and their singles in Belplaya are well over double! So, for those complaining about the lack of drinks, I really do not see a problem! There are cocktails, beers, wines, spirits and soft drinks.
Food, wow, so much of it! Breakfast 8-1030, Continental 1030-12ish, Lunch 1-245, Late lunch 2-330, Snack 4-530. Dinner is a bit strange at this hotel, as it is split into sittings but so what? you pick a sitting that suits you and they are happy to accomodate if you want to change your time. We chose the sitting between 7 & 730. The second one is 845-915. There is a vast selection at every meal time. Ignore what others say about there not being enough cake, they always bring out fresh cakes. Fruit is gorgeous there, fresh pineapple and cherries. Always melon and oranges at breakfast. The pizza bar at lunchtime is yummy too - all freshly made there!
The only downside was having to vacate at 12noon as we had a late night flight home so found ourselves just pondering around, but that is no fault of the staff who were helpful all week (apart from the last day when it was a struggle to have a room to shower before our flight and ended up showering in the indoor pool showers).
Beach towels can be hired, which is useful to save on packing space. They are 10Euros for the duration of your stay and you get the 10Euros back when returned. They are happy to give you a fresh towel everyday for no extra charge.
There are a lot of sunbeds around the pool and some end up being reserved (by the large amount of Germans) but we could always get 2 beds next to each other.
The aircon, that many mentioned is pretty poor but if you're crafty and wedge some paper in the slot (whilst the keycard is in the slot then slowly remove the keycard...) that puts the rooms electric on then you can leave the ceiling fan and air con running all day and return to a nice cold room!! (my boyfriend is a genuis for figuring this out on the first day!)
The hotels entertainment is pretty average, it wasn't really our thing but we didn't go there to spend our evenings inside. There is alot to look around down the streets and a fabulous bar called 'One' just a 2 minute walk as you go along the beach from the hotel.
All in all, we had a good, relaxing holiday. We probably wouldn't return only because our next few years of holidays are planned to further afield around the world but for families,couples and the older generation I would really recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Tallest building, over looking the pool/sea would have the best views
8 Thank Helena151

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (964)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

Stayed here for 10 days at the end of June. Like others I was very concerned with the negative reviews. So much so that I considered changing to a different hotel. I'm glad I didn't as the hotel was very good. The staff were all helpful and worked tirelessly. The hotel was very clean in all areas. There was plenty of choice of food in the restuarant and it was all well cooked. Lots of authentic Spanish food which I like. As others have said it can be repetititve but we ate out a few times for a change. You would be hard pushed not be able to have a good meal in the hotel. I have stayed in a few All Inclusive hotels in this part of Spain that were rated 3 star and this hotel was certainly superior to them. Most of the patrons were considerate, picking up rubbish after themselves which I have found a lot of brits in other AI hotels I have stayed in don't do.... For drinks I stuck to brandy or beer and also the rose wine was defintiely the nicest for my palate. The air con was could be better and you would suffer at night in the hottest part of summer. Also during the height of summer you may struggle to get a sunbed. The entertainment was not to our liking but others seemed to enjoy it. We usually went for a walk after dinner instead. I travelled with my wife and 11 year old son. As there wern't many British he didn't make many friends to play with in the pool but this isn't the hotel's fault. We walked to La Carihuela a few times which is lovely and also Calle San Miguel which is a nice tourist street. One other point, the hotel has plenty of fresh fruit like cherries and freshly cut pineapple which I have never had in other hotels in this area. I thought the standard of the hotel was very good and I think people are expecting far too much with the negative reviews that have been posted.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank dhmackie
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Forget the few negative reviews, you will not be dissapointed !!!
We arrived at 11.30pm and there was a cold supper laid up for us in the dining room.
Excellent customer service, food, drinks, cleanliness all tip top.
Entertainment average for hotel.
Situated by the beach , you can take your drinks from the pool bar to the beach if you prefer.
Food and drinks are constantly replenished and as soon as the" on tap machines" ran out they were re-filled.
We asked for a courtesy room on the last day and it was provided free of charge.
We agree with previous reviews that some people complain for the sake of complaining.
The only improvement we can think of is maybe some circuit training to work off the extra pounds !!! seriously we had a lovely relaxing holiday and as it so easy to get to ,will probably be back in september.Enjoy your break.

Room Tip: ask reception ,they are pleased to assist you .
3 Thank Futterby
glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

riu clients beware!!!! on leaving this hotel went to top up my points with my riu card and was told by the staff that this is not a riu hotel I explained that on the web site of riu hotels this was, but was told that it was just a booking site !!! very misleading!!! and I will be e-mailing the riu company regarding this, how many customer did book thinking it was a RIU hotel !! Now I understand the reviews some not happy but the rooms were ok not rui standards thats if you have stay in a good one you would know the difference, the food was good and so were the staff except for the young man at the desk he would insist that there was no way this was a riu it was a luca company !!!just a booking site so i was told and told, the noise on the terrace at night was not good so take ear plugs for rooms facing the pool , the pool area was lovely but children behave no airbeds or ball games which I can see why ,and they dont supply towels at the pool like the riu hotels, but we did have a great holiday and would I go back!!! yes if the price is right and now I know it not a RIU hotel> it was my grandson birthday and thanks to the chef he made him a lovely cake.

Room Tip: ask for rooms away from terrace
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank winnerglasgow
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

Read all the reviews before we went and made our own minds up , had a good week hotel nice and clean , meals good and location good for us. All the staff were very helpful from reception to the restaurant , bar staff and maids thanks to the back room staff also !
Pool was small for the size of the hotel having said that is was nice and clean .
Walked to Benalmadena took an hour and a half nice walks both ways along the front and also walked up into Torremolinos itself. We got what we paid for and had a good week : )

3 Thank Fourstarlancashire
Knottingley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

2wks ending 28th June. Before we went I was dreading what we we're going to from the past reveiws but i travelled with my husband, 3 children ( 9,5 & 4) & my mum & dad. From start to finish every thing was good. We had a pool veiw room which was cleaned every day had enough storage so what else do you want when your not in there all day, Tv was all spanish but when bak from pool kids found Tom & Jerry every day & didn't mind the language. My children was happy with the pool so did not bother with the kids club any way. I found it in a great location altho we dont mind walking, we walked out every night as the entertainment was not that great only about 3 good shows in 2 wk, close to beach, If you turn left then right & keep walking plenty of shops, bars,restaurants & further up theres kids stuff ie mini golf, lil rides. I found the food was good always something & between meals on the patio area was bread/meat/cheese/cakes etc The best thing about the restaurant was not set times. All the staff seemed friendly & worked their butts off. No inflatables in the pool. The rooms have an hair dryer no fridges but you can rent 1 for 3 euros a night. We did not have any probs but did hear about pic pockets so just keep your wits about you. Christina the rep was lovely & very helpful. There is a childrens play area if you turn right out of the hotel. We went to the croc park which i would advise if u have kids mine thought it was great we got there for the 11.30 tour & it was not that busy & the kids thought it was great to hold a lil croc, All in all a good hol no complaints whats so ever !!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool veiw / higher floor
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Kelly3388
Heysham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

After reading the reviews on here we were slightly apprehensive about what we had let ourselves in for but were pleased to find out that people write very silly things on these sites.
We have just come back from the most fantastic week away. The hotel was great, the food was great, the staff were fantastic and as for the hard beds - I haven't slept this well for years.
The long walk into town was actually about a 20 - 30 minute romantic stroll along the sea.
The hotel was spotlessly clean.
Yes, the entertainment was not to our taste but hey, they have to cater for every age group and every nationality - they can't please everyone!
The bar across the road "The German Paddy" was absolutely fantastic (used to be Tony's Bar as many have stated on here) Andi and Cristina own this bar and it is very clear that they are only happy if their customers are happy!

Room Tip: Request a pool view
1 Thank CathyandTony