“Good hotel”

ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol
Ranked #12 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Just got back from riu belplaya, I personally thought that the hotel was very good. Reception staff were very friendly and always happy to help. Room was basic but very clean. We was on the fourth floor and had a pool and sea view which we hadn't booked so was perfect! Cleaner was friendly and room was cleaned to a very good standard everyday with clean towels. Food was good, but did get a bit repetative towards the end of the week. Only problem with food was we was on the second sitting and seemed to be a long time waiting to go for tea. Would perhaps be better if they had more snacks available in the day. Drinks were ok, would be better if beer was served in bigger glasses, also some of the cocktails tasted like paint stripper! Pool area was good, you do have to get up early for sunbeds though, lots of Germans reserving them! Location was perfect for us, not too busy but within walking distance of shops and centre. Was very nice to be able to have a stroll up the sea front. All in all was a good hotel and would return if the price was right.

• Stayed: June 2011
5  Thank Lauren B
There are newer reviews for ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol

Reviewed June 22, 2011

I'm not long back and I can hardly say a bad thing. The staff are so friendly and helpful it's almost unreal. The pool is fine, nice bar beside it for alcoholic and soft drinks, which was a nice touch. The food is excellent and there's a few selection. Desserts were fantastic also. Some complain but surely in that massive line of food you can find something you like!

Bed was a little hard and entertainment was not to my liking (although a lot seemed to like it) which was my only complete but other than that - excellent, and close to beach. The last day we had a flight that evening and on learning this at check-out they gave us a room for an hour before we were get a taxi to the airport so we could shower before we left so we were fresh etc and allowed us to keep our all-inclusive bands for the rest of the day, which is really superb customer service. I'll definitely be back.

8  Thank Patrick1888
Reviewed June 19, 2011

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL IF YOU ARE EXPECTING 4*. Riu should be ashamed of this hotel. I have spent my weeks holiday complaining about the very basics. Very poor and repetitive food, enforced evening dining times and seating. Outdoor pool was very cold with minimal guests venturing in. There was a stampede to the restaurant at 1pm, which was comical as pool area became deserted. At the afternoon tea there was never enough cake for everyone so you had to be quick off the mark. Dirty toilets without toilet paper and soap. no plastic cups by drinks machines, broken drinks machines dirty glasses left in reception till mid morning from the night before. Indoor pool taped off and empty although I never saw a workman repairing it. Not enough seating in the evening therefore had to return to room to be able to sit with a drink! Rooms are very basic with VERY thin walls, hearing toilets flushing, snoring and wardrobes/safes opening. Lots of rude Germans with attitude stealing umbrellas and loungers. I have personally stayed in many RIU hotels all over the world and this has now seriously affected their branding in my eyes and I will never stay at a RIU hotel again. RIU need to take a serious look at how they transition a hotel from Full/half board to All Inclusive and ensure there are sufficient trained staff to serve their customers. Having spoken to other guests who had previously stayed at the hotel, this new All Inclusive option has been their downfall.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank sarahfrankcom
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Just got back from a weeks holiday at this hotel and was pleasantly suprised after reading some of the reviews. Hotel was spotlessly clean and rooms perfectly adequate for us (2 adults and 1 child) Pool is plenty big enough and there are loads of sunbeds. Food was brilliant. Cooked fresh in front of you and a massive choice to suit everyone. During the week we had pork, lamb, chicken, paella, salmon, shark, king prawns, mussels, stews, pasta dishes, rice dishes and hot dogs and burgers for the kids. Entertainment was bad in the evening and the club really hot. Staff really helpful. Asked for extra pillows got them the same day, asked for air-con to be looked at, it was done the same day. Christina the rep was so helpful and friendly. All in all had a really good time and now need to go on a diet.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank AnitaB080
Reviewed June 13, 2011

When we booked this hotel the reviews had for the most part been brilliant... then when my partner had another look a couple of days before we went away it was like we were looking at a completely different hotel!
However we kep an open mind knowing that not everyone has the same tastes and we looked forward to our first holiday abroad in 6 years... We arrived at 11.30PM (local time) and just had time for one quick drink before the hotel bar closed at 12AM. Our room was immaculate and we were pleased with it so went to sleep happy... Then we realised that the bed was rock hard and the pillows had barely any stuffing in them and woke up with a bad back every morning. The only other thing wrong with the room was the "air conditioning"... to quote my partner it was "like being coughed on by an asthmatic mouse"! Not good!
We woke up the next morning about 7.30AM ready to go down to breakfast and looked out the window to find the majority of the sun loungers had been "reserved" with towels despite the hotel apparently not allowing this to happen! It was like this every single morning and we had to resort to reserving our own beds with towels before breakfast to ensure that we could actually get one! This is not something we do and we were annoyed that we felt we had to.
Now then, the food was OK the first couple of days and we couldn't understand what some people had been compaining about in other reviews... BUT it got steadily worse over the week and it was more or less the same thing day in day out and they appeared to "recycle" some of the food from lunch for dinner! As you can imagine we were very disappointment as when we booked our holiday, the food was described as "great cuisine" and there had been endless reviews saying how good it is. It is obvious that turning it into All Inclusive has ruined what from all accounts seemed like a very good 4 star hotel!
The drinks appeared to be watered down (soft & alcoholic) and were constantly running out because they were in vending machines. The sangria was on tap and vile. My partner had raved about sangria being lovely as I had never tried it before... then I tasted the stuff they had at the hotel and it was horrible. Safe to say we tried it in the bars on the beach front and they were lovely - made in front of you with lots of fresh fruit, not the tinned stuff you get in the hotel.
The hotel appears to be advertised mainly in Germany as I would say 95% of the guests were German. I have nothing against them but the ones that we encountered were Extremely Rude! I smiled at a few to begin with to be polite and all I got were scowls so I gave up. They would push in front of you when you were at the bar or queing for food. One bloke was shouting at people because he wanted to cut in and we weren't letting him... eventually someone let him in behind me! Another poked my partner in the back because he wanted to move him forward - this was totally out of order especially as he suffers with a bad back (funnily enough it went our last day - we're not sure whether it was this guy proding him in the back or the rock hard beds that did it!). It is safe to say that he got an earfull. Manners cost nothing!
Also the lack of decent evening entertainment didn't make it a great holiday. We paid for all inclusive so that we didnt have to pay more money to go elsewhere and ended up sat in the bar bored and eventually just going to our rooms to watch TV. We can't fault the one and only man doing the entertainment but I think his shows were directed at the older generation really. Not really our thing.
So to sum it up. It was a passable holiday. Nothing annoyed us enough to make an official complaint but we won't be going back to this particular Riu hotel again. I think it should definitely be re-classed as a 3 star hotel not a 4 star - unless they do something about the things I mentioned. I understand that they need to keep the costs down now that it is all inclusive but do they really need to buy the cheapest of the cheap food and drink??
OK rant over! :)

4  Thank Kaz6484
Reviewed June 13, 2011

stayed there for a week. food was awful ok if you are german. did not not enjoy this hotel at all, glad to be home wont go back

5  Thank halla18
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Stayed here 2 years ago on a short break and decided to go back for a week. Was very surprised when i booked via the hotel web site to find it was all inclusive. Room was average but the hairdryer did not work properly it was very very slow and got to hot to quick hence to say i had to go out with wet hair every night - not a good luck. The maid Rosa was lovely

The food was DISGUSTING it has put us off going all inclusive ever again.It was the same choice day and night. Grey Fish!!! what was that about, cracked plates chipped cups cheap cuts of meat, rice stuck to the bottom of the serving dish ughhhh if it didnt get used at lunch time it appeared in a sauce at dinner time. We had to eat out after 3 days

The drinks were served in very small plastic cups and the coke machine in all parts of the hotel run out on more than one occasion each day

I agree with a previous comment about the age of the other guest all German or Dutch all over 65 and very very rude. We reported on couple as each day they took five beds 3 umbrellas spread the towels across the lot and only used two beds - they werent happy when they got told off

The hotel itself was clean and the staff all worked very hard but I would never go back here o reccommend it to any body

3  Thank castigers1