“loved this nostalgic hotel, fantastic location and good food”

MedPlaya Hotel Pez Espada
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Dunstable, United Kingdom
“loved this nostalgic hotel, fantastic location and good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

After reading the reviews i was worried about this hotel, what the room would be like and if we had to queue for food. The hotel was far better than we expected, we had a room with a garden view and sea view with large balcony in the original part of the hotel. The rooms are old fashioned, yet clean, newly deocorated with an air of nostalgia from the hotel's glory days in the 1960s. The hotel is very grand, although more geared up for the mass tourist market than originally intended.
The dining room overlooks the beach and although busy we never had to wait for food, the choice was outstanding. There were about four main choices plus salads, starters, many deserts etc. We do not normally stay half board yet at the Pez we looked forward to meal times.
The bars and outside areas are very pleasant in the evenings, the shows were good yet not advertised well enough to achieve a full house. The cocktails are great, best i tasted in the resort.
The pool area did get busy yet we always found a sunbed, did not put our towels down like most others.
All in all we loved it here at the Pez, staff very helpful, grand old hotel - yes a bit dated yet still holds a nostalgic charm and is very clean and tidy. Food excellent and the service was outstanding.
The location cannot be beaten, right on the seafront. There is lots to see and do in the resort, we also got the bus to Nerja Try the local tapas bars for lunch - great food. There is also live music if you look for it in the resort, the drinks were not too expensive in the bars, about four euros for a cocktail.
Only one warning, if you have a room without a garden view the balconies are tiny. We
loved all the photos are stars that have stayed here. We stayed for a week, it was not long enough!!!

Room Tip: you need a garden view room in the original part of the hotel, they have large balconies and sea vie...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank steve v

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Polish first
Blackwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

Having read previous reviews about lack of sun beds, I was a little concerned. However a large number of new sun beds were delivered whilst we were there and getting beds at any time of day was never a problem. We had a sea view room which also overlooked the gardens/pool. Arrived at 10.45 and was immediately given a room. The room was large and easily accommodated the three of us ( two adults and a 16 yr old). The location is fabulous, right on the sea front and between Benalmadena and Torremolinos. Food was excellent quality although not a vast choice. Overall an excellent hotel and would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank Karen T
redditch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

Have stayed at the Pez Espada probably over 50 times during the past 40 years. It is a top class hotel. the staff are excellent. The food is excellent. Always enjoyed the hotel until this July. During the last 3 days of my stay the pool attendant and maintenace man removed all the towels from the sunbeds ronnd the pool where the guest were missing. At that time in the morning this affected most guests. You can imagine the arguements that developed. I used my sunbed virtually all the time from 8-30 onwards. The pool attendant knew me well. He would wak past me over a 100 times a day. He knew me well and must have known that i was nearly always there from morning to night every day, yet one morning I only crossed the road to get a newspaper at 9-15am and when I returned my towel was gone. I had only been away 10 minutes. The Pez Espada has always treated its guests with respect and dignity. There has obviously been a change of policy much to the detriment of the guests. It has created some quite nasty incidents around the pool. There is a bad atmosphere. Why did the management do this. there was never a problem before. A lot of guests abandoned the pool and used the beach which meant that the Pez Espada Bar/restaurant lost their business. Some told me that they would not be booking any more holidays at the hotel.
What a shame for both hotel and guests

Incidently ther is a bar opposite the hotel called Js Saloon owned by a very nice man name Adrian. I suggest you pay him a visit. It is not the best bar in Spain by any stretch ot the imagination, but give him some support. He deserves it.

From a regular guest with a lot of experience of the Pez Espada

Regards.................................Dennis

Room Tip: Never take 001 rooms (Too dingy, not enough light)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank dtja
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a week and whilst I was not impressed by our room, (carpet was stained and the view, despite being a superior/sea view actually looked out onto the air conditioning units) we found it to be very clean and in an amazing location. 10 minutes walk at the most for anything you could want.
The food was really good, the same things most nights but all tasty and with plenty on offer. The puddings aren't great though, they use a synthetic cream in the cakes which is not to everyone's liking.It is an older clientele and many guests are Spanish or Italian so there is always a good range of different cuisines.
There are not enough sunbeds and many people get up early to put towels on them. The hotel did nothing about this for the first few days but on our 4th day there they began moving towels when people were not there. They either need more sunbeds or a more stringent policy torwards this.
The entertainment was so so, good singers and a flamenco dancing group one night which was worth seeing. The rest of the 'entertainment' is led by a guy is very forward. If you don't like to be bothered by shrieking hosts, don't go to the large bar after 9pm. This man also took a teenage girl's phone whilst I was there and encouraged her to chase him for it. Little bit cringeworthy for me.
The women on reception are lovely but the men are more often than not, rude and surly. When we went to ask about using the safe we were told '2 euros a day and I will sort it in a bit, i'm busy'. I would have expected a four star hotel to not charge for safes and the use of a fridge in the room.
All in all, I would stay again but I wouldn't waste the money on a superior room. Great location, really clean and a beautful pool.

Room Tip: Don't go for a superior/sea view room, it's a waste of money.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

I went to the Pez Espada from the 26th June, until the 11th of July! And loved every minute of it!

I went with my 2 friends who are both 18 which I am also. My friends went to the breakfast but I was too lazy to get up, they told me that is was wonderful with a large variety. There are plenty of shops within a 10 minute radius, they sell drinks,swimming equipment, and even an hour on the internet!

The maids were fantastic and put up with us very well! On the last day when I left the room the maid came running after me as I had forgot my Sony camera! Which was fantastic.

A big part of the holiday was meeting the entertainer Krzysztof, he does all the games and was absolutely fantastic! He was loved by the kids, he knows about 6 different languages, and was all round a top bloke. If anyone from here could give me any contact info for him then I would be very thankful!

A wonderful selection at dinner which always had me leaving full.

Been here 3 years in a row now, twice with my Parents, and once with my mates. Will definetly be going again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank 503790John
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

The Pez Espada is one of our favourite hotels and we have stayed here many times. Our latest visit was a 5 night break at the end of June 2011.

We had a lovely room on the 5th floor of the original building, with views of the prom heading towards the marina. There are some rooms in the original block that don’t have balconies, so if you want to be guaranteed one, then I’d recommend paying the extra to book one in advance. Our room was well maintained and cleaned to a high standard every day.

There is a nice swimming pool, and the terrace area is relaxing, especially the grass area looking out on to the prom. We could see that improvements had been made to the terrace area since our last visit – new flooring had been laid and new outdoor furniture provided for Frankie’s bar.

The hotel staff are friendly, particularly the staff in the restaurant. The food is excellent at both breakfast and dinner, better than most hotels we’ve been to.

The location of the hotel is an excellent feature. It has a gate leading directly on to the prom, so is right on the beach. You can walk along the prom to the marina in the one direction or Torremolinos in the other. From the main entrance, it’s just a short walk to the main road where you can get buses to Torremolinos centre and Malaga in one direction or Fuengirola, Marbella and Mijas in the other.

All in all, this is an excellent hotel for couples (not suitable for children), and we’re looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CathJules
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

Very friendly staff, superb selection of food every day for both breakfast and dinner. Couldnt get any closer to the beach or shops if you tried. The room was very clean and spacious. All together a wonderful time spent there!.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family