“Great value friendly Hotel”
Review of La Barracuda Hotel

La Barracuda Hotel
Ranked #38 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is the 3rd time I have stayed at the Barracuda in the last 3 and a half years. The Hotel has very friendly staff and the food is above average, especially for what they charge. Some decoration has been done in the last year and this has brightened the Hotel up, especially the reception area. The bedrooms are very good, comfortable beds and constant hot water with an excellant shower.
Many of the staff have been with the Hotel for over 15 years, which I feel speaks for it's self.
I will be going back this year and my wife and I will be taking our daughter and grandson.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the Hotel do give a limited sea view but don't attract a great deal of...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Barracuda Hotel

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed her during October 2012 half term with my mum and two children (aged 3 and 5) and also my sister and her two children (aged 10 and 14) in a different room.

Having read the previous reviews i was ready to be disappointed by the holiday - we booked it late and got the hotel, flight and full board for a really good price.

The reality was a really good hotel, good food and great location.

As we'd booked a cheap holiday we were put in rooms that backed on to the lifts and right nest to the stairs, we were room 425 and my sister had 725. I thought that this would be really noisy but we didn't notice any noise from either at all. Having said this, i would imagine during the summer it could be noisy. The rooms were really spacious. We had 4 single beds in our room and there was still plenty of room to let the children wander about while getting ready to go out etc. There was a funny smell in our room when we arrived - as others have said previously it smelt like stale smoke but i honestly don't think it was. We kept the room well aired during our stay and it was fine. The room itself was clean and tidy. The maids did a great job of cleaning up after us and our towels were changed regularly - i would say they were changed every other day which to me is fine as it's not a 5* hotel so i wouldn't expect any more than that.

The meals were really good. We were full board so had all meals in the hotel. There was plenty of choice. My son certainly at more than his monies worth. Even my daughter who is a bit of a nightmare had plenty of choice and ate a good amount. It did get a bit repetitive but at the end of the day it is mass produced food and therefore it's bound to be a bit like that. My main gripe with the food was that they didn't put paella on enough for my liking. Also the fruit was a bit sparse but i would assume that was because they generally use food that is in season.

There were plenty of places to take the children if the weather was a bit dodgy - which it was. The lounge downstairs was brilliant. We were able to have a drink while the children let off a bit of steam but without annoying other people as there was plenty of room.

The swimming pool was great - a bit cold but then i would imagine you'd only be going in it in the autumn/winter if you are a bit mad!

Generally the people staying at the hotel were spanish or french so if you prefer to holiday with a load of British people then stay away. We prefer to holiday with locals so it suited it totally.

The local was amazing. Right by the beach and a 5 min walk into some lovely shops. I was also amazed to find that we were a 10 min walk from Benalmedena marina which is a really nice area.

All in all it was a great holiday in a great location and i really don't have any complaints about it.

Room Tip: During high season request a room away from the lifts/stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Rjdeadams
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed there for a week in December, half board. The room was adequate and clean the food was terrible! We paid extra12 euros per night to get a room on the pool side and glad we did because the people who were on the other side said their rooms were so cold.The best thing about this hotel is the location!

Room Tip: Pay extra 12 euros per night to get on the pool side!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I've stayed here a few times now, Its aprox €29 per night for a single room Half Board so the price is ok, The rooms are basic but clean and a good size, Bathroom again basic, old shower head but it works, The biggest let down for me always is the food, 'its not good' but for the price you have paid (same as most self catering places) atleast you have the option to eat in or eat out. Plenty of eating places close by. I eat in on 3 of my 5 nights. On one occasion I was the only person in the restaurant the hotel is that quiet.
One complaint i do have is that, on the evening before my checkoot day i asked reception if i could keep my room on til 6PM as i had a late flight home, i was advised that would be ok as the hotel was pretty empty but to confirm it with the reception on the morning of my departure.
So in the morning on my way down to breakfast i advised the reception what i was told the evening before and they agreed but said it would be an extra €29 euros ??? I asked why they wanted to charge me an extra nights half board when i actually only want 6 hours they said thats the rate even though my room would not be getting cleaned til the following day either as the maids had all finished early cause they had so little number of rooms to clean.
So i agreed and went for breakfast,
On check-out i was asked why i was checking out so late and i advised them i had reserved my room for the extra 6 hours and thay said ok hope you enjoyed your stay so i left without 'being asked' for the extra charge.
Other than that its alright for a short stay but not longer.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Spent 10 days half board March 2012 with my wife. Must say we enjoyed our stay and would return. Room was basic but clean. We were on the dark side of the moon. It appears to be predominantly a hotel for Spanish pensioners, who get the sunny side rooms. If you want to move from the dark side, the premium is quite high. Never mind the room is mainly a place to lay your head. The biggest problem with the room was the TV reception, crap, wife kept falling out with me cause she couldn't watch East Benders etc. Staff were 1st class, meals were OK and they had a happy hour in the bar. Overall I would recommend if you want beach front, close to shops, bars and marina and aren't looking for more than 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: Check for room overlooking the pool. They get the sun.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Saltcoatsbill
Reviewed October 30, 2012

stayed for one week end september and after reading previous reviews was not looking forward to arriving at this hotel. Hotel is basic but clean and spacious rooms if all you are looking for is a bed, shower and good nights sleep. staff friendly and breakfast sufficient.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2012

On Arrival to the room 3 out of 4 lights not working...... 1 was faulty wiring. The room was VERY tired and in need of decoration. The carpet smelt old and was dirty under foot. One of the bed bases was broken. We were put into a family room when only 3 beds were required and looked nothing like the room on the website for three people. The bathroom was clean although chipped tiles and rusted radiator. There was no fire alarm/sprinkle in the room. When asked is we could have a room with a better view was told 6.00 euros per person per night extra although the Hotel was only 1/3 full !!! Breakfast was bril as were the waiting staff. Overall a poor hotel and would not recommend or return.

Room Tip: choose another hotel ........................................
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family