“Wheelchair friendly”

Ranked #4 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
London, United Kingdom
“Wheelchair friendly”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my husband for a week. The room was very well adapted, apart from the balcony. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom well equipped for a wheelchair user. The whole hotel was wheelchair accessible and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast buffet was extensive and very good indeed. We only did B & B so cannot comment on other meals. The hotel is next to the promenade which goes for miles and is totally wheelchair accessible. This is the only hotel I have found in Carihuela that is beachfront and really wheelchair accessible.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank renamush

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Back again to Riu Nautilus from 16th October for five nights. When we checked in we were told they only had one room available due to hotel being fully booked. I had e-mailed them a few days before requesting a room in the annexe on 2nd or 3rd floor. They replied that they could not guarantee my request but would try to do so. I was not told that the hotel was fully booked. The room we had allocated was in the annexe on floor 1. As we have stayed here before we knew this was not a good room for views. The other option offered was to transfer us to sister hotel Puerto Marina and then we would come back next day and they would have another room available. We went for the transfer option but when we arrived at Puerto Marina we discovered that were fully booked and could only offer us one room. We had no choice and we thought we would put up with this for the one night. Next day we went back to Nautilus and had to wait 75 mins to get a room. We did get a room eventually which was room 703 in the mail building. The room itself was lovely with a double sink in bathroom and large bedroom area. The only gripe was as we were on top floor the air conditioning on the roof above droned all day and late in to the night finally switching off at 12.30am. We will go back to Nautilus as it ticks most of our boxes. We do agree with some of the reviews that the Spanish and German do get better treatment from some Staff. We have noted that other reviews have commented on the fully booked issues.

Room Tip: If you can get a high floor in main building. We had a view of the sea to the left and a mountain vi...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bttyboyd
Gibraltar
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Nothing bad about this hotel.Excellent staff excellent location excellent facilities. Only a stone's throw from beach-swimming pool excellent-food excellent. The only down side was that we only booked for a week!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John B
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We stayed at the Riu for our first ever holiday abroad. The reception staff where excellent. Our room was spotlessly clean and kept that way every one of our fourteen nights.
The restaurant was excellent, breakfast superb and dinner enough choices to please any palette. The restaurant staff could not do enough to please.
We will be going back again next year

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank jpr24v
isle of man
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Linda, isle of Man.
Just returned from hotel after a week half board with my husband.We arrived midday and went straight to our room on 6th floor. Could see the sea and it was very private, The room was cleaned daily, even small fresh flowers and sweets.
The food was brilliant! Some thing for everyone and plenty of it. Could hear some noise from next room, but nothing major! Hotel was full of germans tho! Still loved it, we met some nice ones! Beach cleaned everday, and lovely walk to marina! 'The brothers' bar is ace for white coffee and cocktails:)

Room Tip: Our 6th floor room had a wall in between balconies,but lower rooms on opp side had clear glass, and...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank menace22
Newport Gwent
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Just returned from 1 week half board with my wife.
We also had to wait some 40-45 minutes in reception to be allocated a room, in fact it was room 202 which overlooked a flat roof (below),the new section of the hotel 3 storeys with balconies and the back of the supermarket and Irish pub.
As soon as you opened your single door onto the balcony you immediately caught the eye of other holiday makers sat on their balconies opposite and I felt like we were about to perform on stage !
My first thoughts were is this what I paid £1260.00 to Thomson for ?
Room was spacious and clean a bit drab and could do with modernisation and brightening up, had a fridge but no tea making facilities.
Sun on the balcony all afternoon.
I complained immediately that this was not satisfactory and well below the standard required for a Platinum hotel in fact a Gold Hotel or for that matter a 4 star Hotel.
I could see the sea if I leaned over the balcony and looked to my left between the buildings past the grounds,past the promenade and beach.
Anyway I was told that there were no other rooms (in the Inn) and me and 'Mary' would have to wait until Wednesday ( 3days time) and not possible before.
The receptionist went onto say that in fact some other holiday makers had to be transferred to another Hotel because they were over booked (perhaps I was supposed to feel grateful).
The annoying thing was that I was aware of the room allocation problem prior to arriving having read the reviews here on Trip Advisor so I contacted Thomson pointed out my observations and made a request for a room overlooking the pool preferably high floor and quiet, months before arrival.
The receptionist who obviously gets many complaints about rooms showed me the e mailed list and that Thomson had not made any such requests (in my case) but I did witness similar requests by others who had e mailed the Hotel directly and I believe the Hotel do try to accomodate.
Wednesday came and I went to change rooms only to discover it was to be on the same floor room 213 overlooking a minor road and another hotel.
No other room possible etc etc
But I later discovered that had they desired they could have accomodated us on the Tuesday on the 6th floor. Someone speaking with fork tongue eh ?
Average age in Hotel was 60 years so when we got into the pool I felt we were reliving the scene from the film 'Cocoon' nice pool very revitalising.
Bar and entertainment area was poorly supported no doubt due to the poor quality repetitive music and the most appalling beer on draught.
Most residents in the evenings would be found in the many small bars close to the front of the Hotel where Bingo seemed to attract many.
Needless to say it was a very quiet and relaxing Hotel.
The staff were very polite and professional particularly the waiters and cleaners.
There were always sunbeds available up to 10am and providing you put your rented towels on them there was never a problem.
I was so pleased to see a member of staff remove mattreses from sunbeds where overweight or just plain greedy people doubled up mattreses on their sunbeds...well done that man !
Breakfast food was very good, quality and selection could not be faulted and certainly 4 star at least.
The evening meals did not reach the same standard unfortunately more to do with the quality and variety particularly the meat dishes.
Location was first class and probably assists the grading as a 4 star Hotel !
Would my wife and I return to this Hotel ?... NO... there are far better 4 star Hotels in the immediate area and remember you will never be guaranteed a good room with a nice view whenever you commit yourself to booking/ paying for your much desrved holiday.
Oh by the way when we left room 202 a pair of pink panties were still on the flat roof below having been there prior to our arrival. If anyone else spots them please include them in your review with a time and date of your observation (last seen 10am Sunday 2nd October 2011)

Room Tip: Try and get a suitable room guaranteed when you book otherwise accept it will be a lottery and you m...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Steve G
Liverpool United
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We have just returned from a week's stay at this hotel. After reading reviews we were really looking forward to our stay, we were not disappointed. After arriving after a very early flight, we had to wait 40 minutes before we could go to our room. Whilst sitting in reception I overheard a couple complaining about the location of their room and were told the hotel was full and it wasn't possible for them to move, alarm bells went off in my head as I remembered a review saying they were not happy with their room.

We eventually got our key and were given room 355 in the annexe. The room was spacious and very well furnished and spotlessly clean, but on opening the curtains my heart sank, we were overlooking a nine storey block of concrete (apartment block - ugly), we could just see the sea. We had asked for a high floor, we were on floor 3 hardly high. I knew it was pointless going back to reception and asking to be moved after hearing the hotel was full.

The couple who sat next to us in the dining room were also disappointed with their room, their room sounded worse than ours, they were overlooking a supermarket. We travelled with Thomson and this is a Platinum 4 star hotel, we paid a lot of money for this holiday and I don't think a side room overlooking a concrete monstrosity is good enough. The original building rooms were far superior so I wonder how people manage to get rooms here. Also we had the sun on the balcony from late morning until it went dark so it was impossible to sit out on the balcony in the afternoon.

Anyway they were the negatives of this hotel but the food was of a good standard and always hot with a plentiful salad counter and wonderful desserts. The staff are very friendly and the cleanliness was first rate in all areas.

Also a nice touch was when Francisco the Assistant Director of the hotel came to the Thomson welcome meeting and gave a welcoming speech.

This is a lovely resort with Belamadena Marina just a five minute walk away in one direction and the lovely town of La Carihuela in the other direction, well worth the 20 minute walk, lovely shops and restaurants.

Overall we had a lovely holiday and the weather was very hot, pity about the location of the room. Would visit this part of Spain again but would probably go self catering in La Carihuela as there are so many lovely restaurants to choose from.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building with sea view
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple