“Superb hotel and location in Torremolinos/Benalmadena” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Nautilus

Hotel Riu Nautilus
Ranked #3 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Superb hotel and location in Torremolinos/Benalmadena”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

Being first holiday via flight (due to probs) alone, I was very nervous venturing abroad. However, staff (with exception of one) made me feel welcome and I found this hotel to be very comfortable and relaxing.
HOTEL: Spotlessly clean, comfortable. Spent evenings in either entertainment room with comfy chairs and of course my fave cocktails! Or in the foyer whilst reading/people watching. Wasn't brave enough to venture too far at night on own on this occasion.
Not child friendly though (which suited me). No balls/inflatables aloud in pool and no child entertainment. Only saw a few children whilst there. Internet available but costs.
ROOM: Spacious, view side pool/sea view wasn't ideal for me as was in the shade (however it was the 2nd room offered so felt obliged to take it) and I had emailed prior to holiday to request a sea/pool view- so disappointed at this. No radio alarm. Only CNN/World News/BBC1 English channels on TV. That said, didn't spend lots of time in room as wanted to make most of holiday.
STAFF: Most spoke good English. Very friendly and welcoming in restaurant (particularly head waiter) and in bar (offered to carry my cocktail for me). The management here have a main presence as they are always walking around both the building and the hotel grounds and speak regularly to their customers. I had reason to complain to manager about a rude male receptionist who after 10 mins of arriving upset me on 3 occasions - I asked for my bag to be taken to my room as I can't take the lift (claustrophobic). I was told he was on his own - but he didn't offer to sort it out when someone else was there. He was very rude and obnoxious to me. Also, on telling him I wasn't happy with my room view, he said I could go onto 7th floor if I like then I could see whole of Malaga! I told him ok if thats all he could offer. He knew I couldn't take the lift. Amazingly, I was given a room on the ground floor. It was the manager (I later learned) who actually took my bag to my room for me! The other problem was that there are two dinner sittings - expressing that 6 pm was too early to eat and that 7.45 was preferred was told it was full. I was more or less told I would have to eat at 6 first night. After persistence later with different member of staff, he spoke to head waiter and arranged it for me. Manager was brilliant and listened to my concerns.
RESTAURANT: Went half board and had lunch at bars locally overlooking beach. Very obvious that the team of chefs work very hard to provide fantastic food and displays for their guests. Every evening was different dishes-was an absolute pleasure to dine here. Head waiter very welcoming. Big disadvantage here is that table is allocated on arrival where you stay all week. Very embarrassing as in other diners space and vice versa. I had 3 foreign couples whilst there whom I couldn't speak to - very uncomfortable. In fact, this would certainly put me off booking into Riu hotel in future.
POOL: Comfy and clean. Didn't go in water. Noticed a hoist for those who couldn't climb into pool. LIfeguard acting as security also, as gate to prom isn't locked during the day. Sun goes off terrace/pool area at 6 pm end Feb and gets dark at 7.15 pm.
SURROUNDING AREA: Perfect location on the promenade which you can walk left for several miles and right the same. Lovely calm, clean, beaches and around them. Quiet people wise at this time of year. Told sea is always cold all year round.
Along the prom there are groups of ethnic minority guys selling handbags. They look intimidating but don't hassle you (unless you show interest in the bags). The sunglasses guys do try to sell them, but once you say no don't usually hassle.
There are plenty of seats along the prom for those who have difficulty walking and some are in shaded areas. The harbour just a few minutes walk away from the hotel is beautiful and has some designer shops, nice looking bars and restaurants.
TRIPS: Visited Gibraltar on a day trip and went up to the rock by minibus. The tame monkeys and St Michaels cave were enjoyable. Best to book in Viajes Placitour next door (with red and white sign) as probably cheaper (they call them the travel agents). Booked Nerja trip but was cancelled. Other trips available too.
Think I've covered everything! Have a nice holiday. Any further questions feel free to ask.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank bubblychick51

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

We booked a week's holiday, online through Thomson, at the Riu Nautilus in Torremolinos. The hotel stands in a good position, right next to the beach and within walking distance (about five minutes in a leisurely stroll) from Benalmadena marina. Sadly, the weather could have been better, but our stay at this hotel more than compensated for it! All the staff were very attentive and friendly and the food in the dining room was excellent. Our room was spotlessly clean, and I reported one minor problem - the hairdryer did not work as well as I expected, and it had been replaced on our return a few hours later. Overall, an excellent holiday and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

1 Thank JanisWestYorkshire
london, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

Introduced my parents to Riu for the first time and, as expected, they loved it.

Friendly welcome with cava, staff caring and helpful throughout, especially in the restaurant.

Nice rooms, great bathrooms.

As I've found with Riu before, the standard of food is excellent for a 'holiday hotel'. High quality, good choice, always a few special dishes prepared on the spot. Cocktail before the theme night was a nice touch and gave things a sociable feel. Ma has to eat gluten-free and was exceptionally well looked after by the head waiter. They even brought her gluten free breads at breakfast - and breakfast was a plesant experience, though it often isn't in holiday hotels.

The hotel enjoys a superb location right on the beach promenade, which was just perfect for a stroll around the marina and - best of all - a gentle 15 minute stroll to the lovely Carihuela beach and its shops and cafés in the streets behind.

Given it was December, the heated outdoor pool was a bonus (although there weren't not many others braving the water).

Evening the evening entertainment wasn't bad when we watched the flamenco show.

A few fun, cheap bars right behind the hotel are worth a visit.

Has to be the best hotel in the area, and we got a great price accommodation only through Thomson.

Would recommend to anyone.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank deeboy
Cheshire England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

I stayed here with my husband for 2 weeks.
The hotel is in a great location, handy for Torremolinos and Benalmadena. We had a room overlooking the pool and gardens and had sea view from the Balcony. Although we were very near to the promenade there was no noise which enabled us to have a good nights sleep.
The rooms were well furnished and spotlessly clean. We had clean towels whenever we wanted and the rooms were cleaned daily.
The restaurant was very well organised and had a good variety of food to suit all tastes. We particularly liked the many different salads but there was also lots of cooked food to tempt us also.
We did use the bar and although the drinks were a bit pricey they were very well presented and the service was excellent. We also visited the Lazy days bar across the road which had a very nice atmosphere and my husband could watch his English Sport programmes.
All of the staff were very pleasant and very attentive. Jacob, the manager, came around regularly to check everything was OK. He even arranged lots of sunshine for us!!
We didn't hire a car but we did use the public transport which ran very close to the hotel
and we found that very reliable. The bus from Fuengirola on market day got a bit crowded and although we were packed in like sardines, everyone was very jovia about it.
All in all, a very good holiday and the Riu Nautilus was one of thebest hotels we have stayed in. Thank you for making our stay so pleasant.

1 Thank amosdog
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

We always stay at Riu hotels as we find everything about the chain to be of a very high standard. Our room was clean, bright & spacious although it smelled strongly of cig smoke. I found the bed quite comfortable but my wife would have liked an extra pillow. The bathroom while not too spacious was also excellent. The pool area was nothing out of the ordinary.The surface area was not too large but it did the job perfectly & it backed out onto the seafront walk & beach. The food served at the breakfast & dinner buffets was excellent- we enjoyed every meal. One thing I certainly did not like was been allocated a table with strangers every night. During our stay the hotel was full of elderly germans. I would have preferred a table to ourselves & did request it when I booked but to no avail. Also I could not understand why tea & coffee was inc with your breakfast but not with your dinner- you had to order it & it was charged to your room. The cocktails in the bar were also the weakest I have ever tasted in a Riu Hotel. I'm just been picky I suppose as overall we enjoyed our stay & will continue to use Riu Hotels.

2 Thank rodzer
rishton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights in November. Hotel is classed as Torremolinos but closer to Benalmadena being only 5 minute walk to marina. Highlight of the hotel is the food, buffet style but far superior to usual type of buffet found in many Spanish hotels, with many items cooked as you wait. Downside is not many dedicated tables for two so good chance you will be sat on a table with someone else. Excellant location with lovely promenade at front with stretches right up to Torremolinos and beyond. Good local transport, with buses and boats nearby but quite a distance to railway station. Must see is Paloma Park I have visited many parks in the world including Central Park in New York which is a favourite but this whilst only small ranks as one of the best with all sorts of wildlife roaming freely a perfect oasis in the centre of town. Mijas is worth a visit (half day) with a very small but atmospheric bull ring worth a visit (not when there is a bull fight on)! At rear of Hotel there are numerous small friendly bars with lager at 1 euro a pint. Would definately stay again probably not at height of season but ideal at this time with weather still in the mid 70"s.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
spivo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

The hotel has absolutely nothing for children of any age, but the staff are good with them and freindly in general. Pool is cold and very, very standard. Beach is on the doorstep and a good standard. Great food (by Spain's standard) and we are very fussy eaters. Dated decor and furnishings but very, very clean. The beds are the hardest i have ever tried to sleep on! A four star hotel but i would not say it lives up to the Thompson Platinum standard. Would i go back? Only if they got decent beds and lowered the price. We booked direct with the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family