“Great hotel overall” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Great hotel overall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Where do I start,Me,my mum,my 5 year&6 month old stayed here for a week,Now when we arrived about 10pm we had left my little boys case on the coach we told reception to let us know as soon as the case arrived,the driver brought the case back the same night but we were not informed by the hotel until the following day so I was very angry by this,also we wete put in a tiny room with only 2 single beds&a cot obviously nowhere for my son to sleep but we were moved to a much more spacious room with a huge balcony.

The hotel&pool are spotlessly clean.

Towards the end of our stay the childrens pool was getting very busy so if you want a sunbed you need to go down at 6am to get one.

Food isnt great ive had better from 4 star hotels but Ive also had worse.

Great location&just across the promenade to the beach.

My son went to the kids club everyday,well what can I say apart from FANTASTIC the staff are excellent with the children&make it so much fun for them&my little boy loved it he was very sad to be leaving.

The day before we were leaving a school trip came to the hotel I found this very strange&they were all put in the rooms on our corridor&they were shouting&running about all night,I didnt think they should have beem put in that hotel&certainly not around familys.

Would I return Im not sure I have mixed feelings.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Adele A
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Adele A,

I would like to thank you very much for giving us your opinion about your experience in our hotel and also thanks for trusting us and having chosen Sol Príncipe for your family holidays.

I am so glad that you liked the great location and our entertainment for kids and enjoyed much.

I take note about your comments, we will study them, and we will do our best to improve these aspects, for your next visit.

Best regards from Torremolinos,

Juan Carlos Lloret.
Guest Experience Manager Sol Príncipe Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 8 nights in May. Family holiday with a 2 yr old,3 month old, hubby and my parents.

I was pleasantly surprised by the apartment when I arrived as after reading some reviews on here, I nearly cancelled my reservation.

Yes the apartment looks dated, but it was spotless clean, and we had everything we needed. Pools are stunning, my 2 yr old had a fantastic time in the baby pool.

Location was great, right across from the lovely beach. It is at the quieter end of the resort, which didn't matter to me as we weren't there to be heading out to bars etc.

Walked up to the shopping area a few times ( approx 15 mins )and walked around the cliff( approx half hour ) to the other end of torremolinos. This was a lot busier with lots of good shops and bars.

All in all, I had a great time. Hotel is very busy so since there are only a few bad reviews I would say they are doing a good job, as you can't please everyone! The grounds were absolutely spotless, I didn't see any litter anywhere, and everywhere I walked in torremolinos was the same. Beautiful well kept resort.

Would definitely return again.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank diego30
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear diego30,

Thank your for your recent stay in May and for your such good comments about our hotel and your family holiday in Sol Principe.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will be shared to all our staff to raise the spirits and desire to work even better.
We are looking forward welcoming you back during your next trip to Torremolinos.

Kindest regards,

mayobridge newry co down
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

After years of holidays in Principe with family and friends. Our last visit was nine years ago until this year.Last year we were at a different hotel in the resort. So we said we would go and see what it looked like now, and to are surprise it had been all done up.The pool area is brilliant with three Jacuzzis in pool and very safe for kids as there is markers with the depth on them.You can walk into the pool which is great as I have walking difficulties. Good entertainment team for kids seven and under.But my kids was a girl of eight and a boy of eleven. We went to the kids club the next morning we arrived and the play park could not be used as they had no staff to man it and the told us to come back in the morning so we it and same again.when we asked the staff they said tomorrow tomorrow and not very pleasant about it.So we went to the reception about it and they didn't no why they said it was free to use in the morning and we had to pay in the afternoon. They give us a time table. So we went the third day in the morning and the staff said no not the morning but come in the afternoon and they can play on the zip line and ropes.So we did and payed 10 euros each for two hours.They were told they could play mini golf as well.But when they asked the staff said they couldn't find the ball.They just love mini golf and were very disappointed. I just feel the staff had no time for them as they were the oldest kids there. I hope it's different peak season with lots of older kids.The food was ok we were just b&b as we like to eat out.I strongly recommended Mulligans bar and restaurant in the centre of torremolinos in middle of strip to the left going up.The food was superb just like home if you like to play safe when dining. Very friendly staff and great buzz about.all in all great craic. Witha a must have the chicken wings, and food portions very big and not expensive.

Room Tip: We where a family of four and we took a family room at the sea view rooms.They have two singles puse...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank pat119
Dear pat119,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to the Sol Príncipe Hotel. We appreciate that you like our facilities.
I regret if some aspects in your experience weren’t satisfactory.
Sharing your opinion you will help us to improve our services, especially on the entertainment issues.
We have taken note about the comments in order to improve.
We hope to see you again in Sol Príncipe

Sincerely

José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

The hotel is disgusting food, terrible service, was shocking. Lasted one night there. How it can have any positive reviews I will never know. The room was dirty. Do not go there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Jonathon T
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Jonathon T,
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay with us last year.
I am sorry if you didn´t like the experience at Sol Príncipe. We take note about your comments, to study them.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

The hotel has a great location. That's about all I have to say positive about it.
There were long queues at reception most of the time, and the receptionists never seemed in a hurry to help or get the queues down. On check-in I was told there was an extra charge for the room safe (which I haven't seen anywhere else in the world, even in very cheap places). This couldn't be charged to the room (why???) and had to be done in cash which made check in and check out doubly complicated. They have no only one iron available for their hundreds of guests, forcing you to use their laundry service. When using the "express" laundry service, which costs extra, and on paper guaranteed next day return, I was told "it will be back in a day, maybe two". For some of our party it took three.
The rooms weren't particularly clean - mine seemed to have a problem with ants even though it was nine floors up. The balcony door would not close, never mind lock, so I now have mosquito bites on my hands and feet.
Altogether a grim experience for the price. I've had better service in so-called "third world" countries in the middle of coups and civil wars.
It could be a great hotel - but you would need to start with new management and fire at least half the current staff.

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank Neil_from_Wakefield
Dear Neil_from_Wakefield

My name is José Fermín Gómenz, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel.
First of all I would like to thank you for your opinion.
You can not imagine how much I am sorry to read that your experience in our hotel did not meet all your expectations.
I would like to apoligize if you didn't like our service. We will do our best to improve these aspects and provide the best service for your next time in Sol Principe.

Best regards from Torremolinos,
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

Myself and hey wife stayed here in Summer 2013 with our 1 1/2 year old daughter for her first sun holiday. The hotel staff seemed very unhappy and this reflected the manner in how they treated people. The receptionists were very dismissive. To cut a very long story short, the place itself is nice and this is the only positive thing I can say. I very rarely complain but while getting out of the pool after a swim with my 1 1/2 year old daughter on our first full day I sliced my foot on a piece of jagged metal that was precluding from a tile cover in the middle of the pool area and ended up needing 8 stitches. The only staff that I could say were fantastic (and I mean fantastic) were the life guards. I was bleeding heavily for 20 minutes before they eventually managed to stop the bleeding. I am a strong believer in taking things in my stride especially in these situations because sometimes genuine mistakes happen. I waited 1 1/2 hours for the hotel doctor to come to the pool to tell me that I needed to go straight to casualty. During this time my wife had to ask a member of staff to get someone from maintenance to fix the jagged metal to prevent someone else or a child from getting another bad injury. I lay with my foot in the air to stop the heavy bleeding and after being told not to move from the pool by the doctor and not to put pressure on my foot to prevent the bleeding a male hotel manager landed down and asked me if I would mind waiting in my room for an ambulance (which was on the fourth floor) as he felt it did not look good for the hotel? He was very ignorant and did not care about my well being. It was only thanks to three other kind guests (who we didn't know) that intervened & confronted him for even suggesting that I should move and not to be so inconsiderate that he left. My 1 1/2 year old was hysterical at this stage and I could not even comfort her! From the time the ambulance crew arrived, the medical staff/ treatment was second to none! It was fantastic and put the Health Service (HSE) in Ireland to shame. I went in the ambulance, attended the hospital, got a local anaesthetic with 8 stitches and within 2 hours of leaving the hotel I was in a taxi on the way back. The stitches were all in my heel so I could only walk on the ball of my foot or "tippy toe" for the remainder of the holiday & could not swim. I spend the remainder of the holiday hobbling around in pain. The night before our holiday ended my wife asked me if anyone from the hotel had bothered to see if was ok..... No was the answer. I then decided to call to reception to express my disappointment at how I had been treated by the hotel manager and my disappointment with how everything was handled (which is rare for me) and after speaking to a very hostile manager I was pretty much told if I had any issues to speak to their insurance company......I explained that I had no interest in money or claims and that it would have been nice for someone from the hotel to have contacted me within the following week to see if I was ok.....he was not interested. I was off work for five days after I returned home & after sending two polite emails indicating my disappointment; one directly to Melia hotel group and one to the Sol Principe I did not even receive an acknowledgement. ......maybe it is a lovely place to visit, maybe I was unlucky, one thing is for sure it certainly is not a nice place to be if something goes wrong. I'm glad it was me that got injured and not my 1 1/2 year old or some other child.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms add easier access the pool and hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Stanog
Boston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stopped here 3rd May for 7 nights. Very impressed with the hotel. This was the first time we had stopped here although we have stayed at several other Sol hotels. I booked this last September as it was on offer to Loyalty card members at an advantageous price. We had a family apartment with a kitchenette, so loads of space. We also booked the breakfast option. The food was excellent, even bottles of cava for breakfast so did indulge in a Bucks Fizz a couple of mornings. As the hotel is directly on the front we had breakfast overlooking the sea. We were very happy with the room, with a view over the free form pools, the maid service was first rate, plenty of clean towels every day, and cleaned and beds made up every day.The grounds are kept very tidy and always plenty of sun beds. As a gold loyalty member we were welcomed to Spain by the Quality Control manager. The first night room service delivered some fresh fruit and bottled water with a welcome from the manager, which was a nice touch. So if you are thinking about booking this hotel don't forget to sign up to the loyalty card. Thank you to Jose Fermín Gómez and all your staff for making it such a pleasant stay....regards alan heath

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank alanslots
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear alanslots

Is an honor read comments like yours, where we can see the results of our job, happy customers identified with our staff and our product.
Thank you so much for giving us the chance to provide you once again our services and most of all to share your experience with potential future guests.
Your satisfaction is our goal, so read comments like yours makes us feel very happy.
Thank you again, We'll be waiting for you at Sol Principe in a near future.

Kind Regards.
José Fermín Gómez. General manager Sol Príncipe Hotel.