“Great place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

My partner and I booked a weekend break in Torremolinos, we booked on line and purposefully booked this hotel as it was on the beach...........and it was!! Great place, very clean rooms, and good facilities. Very much a family hotel, lots of families and kids, but also great facilities for adults with Sports Bar (I know what your thinking) and relaxed areas with comfy sofa's in bar area. The sports bar was not what you would expect, done out with a Moroccan theme, stained glass windows, arched doorways etc.....we did dance the night away to a bizarre mix of Tom Jones and some French pop musak!! We went for B&B, with breakfast being buffet style but with great variety of foods on offer...continental style and English cooked breakfast, cereals, juice, pastries, would recommend. There was also a buffet style evening sitting for around 18 euros each....I didn't have cause to complain but my partner was disappointed with the sea food selection on offer, with so many tapas bars and cafes in the town center and beach side restaurants would certainly recommend exploring. Downer was the queues when we arrived, check in very slow process....although the free sangria on offer helped to ease the pain somewhat. Would stay again, also very close from airport so well within reach of taxi, saves on having to wait for lengthy queues waiting for transfers!!

2 Thank Darren S
Jose Fermín G, General Manager at Sol Principe, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Hello Darren S. My name is José Fermín Gómez, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel. First of all I would like to extend our appreciation for your review and thanks for spend your holidays in Sol Principe.

I apologize to keep you waiting during the check in. We will do our best to speed up the check- in process. I take note about your partner buffet suggestions.

Thank you for your review again. I will hope to see you in the Hotel soon.

Sincerely Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

As a person who normally visits Ibiza town for holidays with friends, I was a bit dubious about a holiday to Torremolinos with my 79 year old dad. On recommendation of my dad, we booked into the Sol Principe Hotel for a week. The hotel itself and rooms are impeccable, staff incredibly helpful and pleasant. The accommodation is more suited to the 'older generation' or for families with young children. That said, it suited us incredibly.

We booked half board - the food is very nice but after a few days it can become 'samey'. However, if you alternate between eating lunch and dinner at the hotel you can still enjoy the wide variety of food that Torremolinos has to offer.

Regarding the wider area, the area of Torremolinos within which the Sol Principe sits is beautifully kept and shows the distinct lack of 'tack' that other areas such as Carhuiela beach front and Benalmadena can appear to display.

All in all, I am thoroughly enjoying my stay here and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: ask for a sea facing room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank sara p
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and was pretty impressed on arrival the hotel was immaculately clean even the rooms and they were of an ok standard but toilet was brown and the shower head was broken but apart from these small details they were fine . Now the food was a let down I do agree that there was a good selection but everything was over cooked and cold and we tried breakfast lunch and dinner and they were all the same so for a 4 star this was a hughe let down. What we both disliked most of all were the rude people , staff and travellers alike , come on your on holiday smile be nice , now don't get me wrong it wasnt just in the hotel it was most of the resort bus drivers, shop assistant, restrauant staff etc the economy it tuff but come on its tuffet still when you've saved for a break and all you get is sour faces and grunts

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Karenkoi
Jose Fermín G, General Manager at Sol Principe, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
Hello Karenkoi, My name is José Fermín Gómenz, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel.

First of all to thank you very much for giving us your review and thanks for having chosen Sol Príncipe for your holidays . I regret that your expectations have not been satisfied for the hotel. I imform you, that we are already fixed the liitle issue you had in your bathroom. I take note about your restaurant comments, opinions such as yours help us to improve day by day. Thank you for your review again.

Sincerely Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel.
South of England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

Now my third visit to the Sol Principe but this time I was disappointed. I last visited the hotel two years ago, but can report that it is looking a little jaded with the rooms in need of some tlc.
Bedrooms have a lateral view of the sea with private balcony. The rooms are adequately proportioned with fridge and (old) television with 3 English news channels. There is air conditioning although this was not available when we visited this time.

Probably the most disappointing of all was the food. When I wrote my original review of this hotel I gave it 5 stars and wrote this about the food – ‘The food is of a high standard and plentiful. The Spanish fare is particularly good with plenty of differing varieties of fish and meat dishes on offer. There really is something for everyone.’ Unfortunately I cannot be as complimentary this time. My summation – over-cooked and repetitive, repetitive, repetitive.
Don’t get me wrong, you will find something to eat and it will be perfectly edible, it is just not as good as it was two years ago.

The Sol Principe will provide you with a solid base for exploring the area however I would say this hotel really is more a decent standard 3 star hotel rather than a 4 star.

Sol Principe - I know you can do better than this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor for great views
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Petplant
Hello PetPlant, My name is José Fermín Gómenz, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel.

I would like to thank you very much for your opinion and for having chosen Sol Príncipe for your holidays for so long. I apoligize if this time you didn´t like the room, We will do our best to improve this aspect for your next time in Sol Principe. I take note about your restaurant comments, opinions such as yours help us to improve or service. Thank you very much for your review again.

Sincerely Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel.
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

First off, it takes 10 minutes to check each room in (at least), combine this with the understaffed front desk and its a nightmare check in and check out (for us, check in took 40 mins, check out 1 hour). Also, if you need to ask a question, or your room key stops working you will need to wait as above.

That aside, the pluses: pool area is fantastic, rooms are nice (apart from the fact that a double is actualy two singles pushed together that move apart at will), bathrooms are modern.
The negatives: beds as above (beds also very uncomfortable), Services need improving, only english channel is bbc news and no movies, masage centre closed, pooside food/ drink closed. You would expect these to be open in may, wouldnt you?

We stayed in a sea view, which was worth the small extra charge.

All in all, improve checkin, buy some queen beds, put on some in room movies, open the closed facilities and it would move from 2/5 to 4/5

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Brent M
Hello Brent M. My name is José Fermín Gómez, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel. I would like to thank for giving us your comments about the hotel and thanks for trusting us for your holidays.

I apologize for having to wait in reception, We will do our best to improve this aspect for your next time in Sol Principe. I take note about your comments, opinions such as yours help us to improve day by day.

Thank you for your review again.
Sincerely Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

We had stayed in The Sol Principe before and enjoyed the hotel experience. This time we decided on taking an apartment. You reach the apartments by leaving the hotel lobby area and crossing through the elaborate pool complex.
When we arrived at reception, we were pleasantly surprised to be greeted with a few words in Irish. Well done.
We were happy with the apartment set-up. You have a bedroom which can be isolated by means of sliding doors/walls. The bathroom has a bath with overhead shower. Water is piping hot. The washbasin is outside the bathroom, but this can be an advantage. The lounge area is more than adequate for two people and it is equipped for four. The two couches convert into beds. I'm not so sure that more than two people would be comfortable: perhaps children with parents would work well. Another sliding door can be used to cut off the lounge from the bedroom/bathroom areas.
The kitchenette is hidden behind folding doors. It consists of a two-ring electric cooker with an adjoining sink and overhead presses. Cutlery etc are for four. The one thing that you really miss is an electric kettle and it does annoy to have to wait on a saucepan of water to boil for the occasional cup of tea. I doubt that you would cook much, if anything, in the small space you have. Handy for a light breakfast or supper. The microwave is a bonus.
TV stations are mostly in Spanish but you do have Sky News and a couple of others in English.
The lounge opens out onto a small balcony which in our case overlooked the pool area.
The only negatives about the apartments: 1. the walls in the complex are certainly not sound-proofed, so you are at the mercy of several neighbours. However, noise was not a major problem. 2. tiny ants are a nuisance. We found that our first apartment had armies of them parading on the tiled floor of the lounge. Reception changed us to another room which at first viewing seemed to be ant free. Not surprisingly the troops did emerge later. By then we had bought a spray in the Hotel Supermarket, so we used it freely when leaving the apartment to go out. This worked alongside the regular disinfecting by the cleaning staff. We were not surprised to see ants in that second apartment after we had noticed that the Hotel Supermarket stocked insect spray. We saw no more ants in the apartment after the second day, so don't let them put you off... just spray!
The apartment was well serviced each day and the linen was changed at mid-week.
These apartments are extremely well priced, especially when you consider that you have the use of the fine hotel with its facilities and entertainment and that you are right on the sea-front.
Great value, especially if you like lounging at the pools. Check out the hotel website.

Room Tip: One block gets the mid-morning to afternoon sun, so it is worth asking.
5 Thank patsIreland
Dagenham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

Positives;
The hotel itself looks excellent and is very clean. It is a mere 10 minutes away from Malaga airport. The beach is immediately behind the hotel. The hotel has several swimming pools and lounge space. It also offers a variety of activities and excursions and plenty catered for family and children. Overall we had a pleasent stay without issues.
Negatives;
Hotel is rated 4* but offers no room service and no 24 hour menu for snacks or drinks. To seek information from the hotel reception takes a very long time as they are always understaffed. Their lunch and dinner is served in the form of a buffet and the price of 18 euros per person is overpriced by a considerable margin - you would find far better priced quality meals in the vicinity of the area. The hotel has no a/c in April and the nights can be very hot.

• 2 of 5 bubbles