“Off-Putting”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rugby, England, United Kingdom
“Off-Putting”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I came to the hotel recently after being it being recommended. It was very exciting, first time abroad and was looking forward to it all. Needless to say I was shocked and disappointed by my stay at this hotel. The reception staff and Santi in the main bar were the friendliest people I spoke to working at the hotel. i had read many reviews previously about the sickness bug hanging in the air of the hotel but read a few reviews to say it had gone. I traveled with a large party of 7, out of the 7 I were the only one to not fall ill. The food was repetitive and I found myself eating pizza for lunch and dinner every day. The food was poor quality, over cooked and you could see it had been sitting there a while before. The rooms were small when there were 3 of us sharing, having 11 floors I feel that could have been amended. There were quite a few elderly people staying at the hotel and I worry that if they were to fall ill it could be disastrous as I watched my party get knocked off their feet with it. It hasn't put me off traveling in the future but I will never return to this hotel unless it were knocked down and rebuilt to be fully clean of the bug it harbors

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
LuisLuque, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear El S :
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor.
I am deeply sorry to hear that your stay did not entirely meet your expectation, especially about food, our restaurant has a menu of 15 days where they make different dishes and we also have two points of cooking show, I'm sorry you did not like any of what we offer.
Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us and it's our hope that you will give us an other opportunity to show you our high standard services .
Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (915)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
edinburgh
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just back from my hen weekend . This hotel is spotless. Luis the manager was very welcoming and greeted us with a box of chocolates in the room amd also a nice wee gift for us all the day we left. I panicked when i seen these reviews. And emailed the hotel but i can assure you all there is no bug at this hotel. The staff are very friendly.
Woukd definatly return to this hotel.thank you for a greatweekend :)

• Stayed April 2013
Dear lesley1983 :
Thank you for writing such an amazing review. We are delighted that you and your familie had a ‘brilliant hen weekend’. We love treating our guests especially when it’s a celebration and are so pleased that you enjoyed .
Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Marconfort Beach Club in the near future… and congratulations on your wedding
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hotel is situated on the beach front, about 20 minutes walk from the busier area of Torremolinos. A long and wide promenade stretches along all the way to Benalmadena (a full hour's pleasant walk). All along the walk are restaurants, bars and souvenir shops. A bus stops right outside the hotel which will take you to the centre of the old town for just over 1 euro. You can walk along the prom and up several stairs (Calle St Miguel I think) if you feel more energetic. From here you can board buses to take you further afield very cheaply. There is a train station about 10 minutes from the hotel. This means that you can reach the airport for a few euros.
The rooms are small but perfectly adequate and were kept very clean. Beds were changed twice in the week there.
Food is plentiful and hot with a pasta counter and a grill area (fish and meat) each mealtime. There is plenty of choice.
The tummy bug seems to be still there but those who caught it were generally well within 24 hours. Like others, I feel that the hotel is doing all they can....notices for handwashing and disinfecting were displayed. Unfortunately not everyone is responsible and we witnessed people walking straight out of the toilets without washing their hands.The staff tried to ensure that everyone entering the dining room disinfected their hands.
It was a bit cold to swim but the pools were very clean.
There were plenty of loungers but no mattresses or pool towels were available which was a pity. We had to go out and buy towels thinking that a 4* hotel would provide them.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank raeofbonnybanks
LuisLuque, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear raeofbonnybanks :
Thank you for the review about your recent stay at our hotel. Please be aware that your feedback is extremely important for us in improving our service in every way possible.
We will be more than glad to welcome you back in the nearest future!
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We came back last week after a poor holiday at this hotel. The hotel booking was done in a rush and we would not have done so if we had read the reports first.
As with other people, I got the sickness bug and trots. Hand sanitisers only work if people do not pick up food and then put it back after changing their minds - children were constantly picking at the food on the buffet - it would be more hygenic if the catering staff served out the food. The cutlery was dirty and the glasses still had lipstick and food on them. The food choice was ok if you like burgers, pasta, pizza or hotdogs. The choice of vegetables was very limited and the surplus food from the evening before was served up as salads or as a curry/stir fry or similar.
As said by other reviewers, the rooms are very basic - one chair, no table, no wall insulation so you can listen to next doors TV programmes with ease whilst taking turns on the chair. Our bath had mould on it so we asked to see a different room which turned out to be even worse. There was no towel rail to hang your towel to dry and no shelves for toiletries. The carpets in the corridor had the same muck on them for the whole 10 days we were there and the inside of the lifts and lift buttons were a health hazard.
For two days half of the swimming pool area was cordoned off for painting, making the place very crowded and there was paper and plastic cups flying around in the wind due to guests being too lazy to put them in the bins and no staff clearing tables.
Seating in the congested Piano Bar was hard to find in the evening and we were dismayed to find a 'stag do' and 'hen do' shouting at all hours at this supposed family hotel.
We never saw anyone clearing up spills or cleaning the tables apart from the poor overworked bar staff.
The best point about the holiday was the bar service and that snacks are available in the restaurant most of the day and night.
The staff worked hard but cleaning staff were non-evident in public areas during our visit - it seems the hotel is being run on a minimum staff level.
I would not recommend this hotel at all.

Room Tip: Use a different hotel or take some ear plugs
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sdc123
Dear sdc123 :
We receive an overwhelming amount of positive responses and feedback from our GUESTS; however, we do understand and acknowledge that receiving one average review makes all our previous efforts null and void.

I'm sorry that we have not exceeded your expectations, but if you will permit me, I will consider your comment for Tripadvisor users can verify that what you said is not true.
1. - Our food selection is wide and varied (you can check), not only limited to hamburgers and hot dogs and we daily with more than 5 different kinds of vegetables (you can check).
2. - It is not true that the surpluses of other foods are made for the next day, our kitchen and menus policy is a minimum of 7 days (you can check).
3. - Our rooms were just reviewed a couple of weeks ago and have repaired all we have found, which I am not aware that there's mold in your bathroom, if you have been so please accept my apologies, but I sincerely believe that there was not.
4. - All our rooms have towel (you can check)
5. - The hotel has a cleaner who is constantly in public areas (you can check) and the only work she is constantly cleaning around the hall and bars, and also lifts and buttons are cleaned at least every hour (can check).
I hope tripadvisor users can decide for themselves when they are on site.
Kiind regards.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

just returned from my easter holiday break 14 nights stay with my wife and 2 kids age 11 and 6.
cant complain had a great time i had no proplems at all staff food entertainment was all excelent.
The management left a box of chocolates champagne and a birthday card in our room to celerbrate my wife,s bithday nice touch from staff.
My room was facing the beach front which was a stone throw away from the hotel,
There is a bus stop right outside hotel and if you get on 123 or 126 it takes you to belemidema for 1 euro. Going back to the food and drink there is very good choice for the kids and adults and it was served all day and night.The beers and spirits was the normal kind all localaly brewed.
If you are going for a family holiday with the kids it is a must you visit tivoli world , crocodile park and selwo marina belemidema all great fun for young children.
I would also recomend to take some upset tummy relief as all of our are party caught a 24 hour bug apart from the sickness which lasted 24 hours i would not hesitate to book this hotel again

Room Tip: 214 is facing the beach front
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank kevin j
LuisLuque, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear kevin j :
Thank you for your preference in staying at Marconfort Beach Club and for sharing your experience here at Trip Advisor.
Now I've seen the pictures remind his lovely family, has been a real pleasure to have you as customers and hope this is not the last time that they can spend their vacation with us
There is no greater pleasure for the direction and whole team, than having surpassed your expectations during your stay at Marconfort Beach. We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon!
Co Durham
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I booked this hotel for a long weekend for my husband's 50th Birthday & also to meet up with relatives as a surprise for him too. I emailed the hotel to request a nice room & a bottle of bubbly(I expected to be billed for this). On arrival at the hotel our check-in was quick & pleasant & on entering our room the duty manager (Luis) had arranged for an ice cold bottle of bubbly with a lovely greeting(thank you Louis,as we didn't get a chance to thank you during our trip). Our room was lovely,nice view,excellent cleanliness. The hotel in general is extremely clean, pool area is very well kept & no problems with sunbeds as there are plenty to go around. The restaurant is extremely well managed, with very few queues, the food is the best we have ever had on an A.I basis, with lots of choice for everyone. It is extremely clean, which is why I am very surprised that both my husband & I, 1 of our relatives & 4 others that we conversed with contracted this previous reported sickness bug, it knocked you for 6!! However whilst I believe that it may not have been started within the eating areas, it HAD to be started somewhere within the hotel as there are far too many individuals being laid flat out with it, it maybe the ice, the pool or it may even be something within the eating areas after all, but until the hotel management/tour operators address it seriously it will escalate out of proportion & possibly even hit high season holiday times. We even witnessed children vomiting in the hotel reception & by the pool, area. Our relatives have reported their illness at reception, but as per previous reviews have stated....reception staff were just not interested, which is just not acceptable. Having said all this we will certainly return to this hotel, but will check reviews first & check to see if this viral situation has been erradicated! Thank you again Louis.(Room 70212-15th April).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Durhamdude
LuisLuque, Duty Mnager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Durhamdude :
First I wanted to thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate the 50th birthday of her husband. When we have news that one of our customers has a special occasion, we strive to share those moments with them, everything in life is a matter of details and our hotel first of all, customer satisfaction.
Thanks also for mentioning the variety of food and preparation, our kitchen staff with our Chef Oscar, work very hard to satisfy all our customers.
I regret to have been ill, our food and beverage controls are monitored by external companies (as I mentioned in the past) and we are increasing all necessary measures.
Hope you can return soon.
Witney, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I (& my 4 children) stayed at this hotel 5/4-12/4 2013 and I must say I was very impressed but there is a BUT which I will come too shortly...

We arrived earlier than planned and were welcomed by very pleasant English speaking staff who checked us in and we made our way up to our family room on the 1st floor. It was clean and very spacious with ample wardrobes for all our stuff. The view from the balcony which was huge, looked out to sea/Malaga and to the side the mountains and was a lovely place to see the sunrise and just sit and relax watching the numerous roller-bladders and joggers going along the promenade. The boys were more than happy with the TV channels (CITV,BBC1, ITV1 & 2) and to be honest isn't being on holiday getting away from them being glued to the box!

We all found the food choices exceptional and varied from day to day although the boys tended to stick to the 'English' style foods they did all try a few other dishes. It was nice to be able to watch chefs cooking some dishes freshly in front of you at all meal times i think I have definately piled on a few pounds. The drink choices for kids was good soft drinks, milkshakes,water (icy cold) and for adults I particularly enjoyed the cocktail of the day every day! The staff that greeted us into the restaurant and working within it were all very friendly as were the bar staff.

The swimming pool areas were clean and well spread out so if adults holidaying without kids didn't want to be around the pools with kids and families they could be further away around another pool and away from the noise and splashing! The outdoor pools were freezing and it was rather amusing watching the 'take your breath away' expressions of kids jumping into them, the majority of children due to this stayed in the indoor pools most of the time and as they weren't particularly big they did tend to get quite crowded. We were lucky with the weather it was around the mid to late 70's every day but even with this the outdoor pool was for the brave hearted only.

We used the train to get out and about a couple of days and it is a short walk (20 mins) away. tickets for the trains are from a machine only on the platform and it usefully has a language selection button so you decipher which ticket choice you want. Parque de batteria was easily reached and only just over 5 mins away on the train, this basically is a very tidy and picturesque park set up high looking out over the town and sea. We also visited Selwo marina on the train, it was a pain to find as we did not see any signposts when exiting the station and did wander around for 40 mins before stumbling across it, much smaller than i imagined but whiled away a few hours, the dolphin show was particularly good and worth the hassle getting there.

Now my BUTS and it really is a shame as otherwise this hotel would have had a excellent from me. The first is not to do with the hotel but in fairness could you consider it a contributory factor? The beach across the road looks picturesque from the balcony and welcoming but upon closer inspection was littered with dog poo, now when your kids are happily building sandcastles and burying each other in the sand this is not pleasant, we moved up and down the beach but encountered the same issue, strange really because the esplanade which is wider than the road! and always full of walkers/roller-bladders and joggers is immaculate and very clean looking.
Now my last (and most disappointing) BUT was the dreaded vomiting bug. 24hrs after arriving my first boy awoke in the night with it shortly followed hours later by his twin, respite for 24 hours then the next and again respite before the last one got it. They all awoke in the night having gone to bed fine with no tummy ache or anything and vomited almost instantly, they all then had diarrhea then spent the mornings in bed feeling nauseous by tea time they were all able to eat a small amount and by the following morning back to normal, thankfully I escaped it. I would like to praise the cleanliness of this hotel and from what I saw there were always staff cleaning everywhere you went from lifts, door handles, floors etc. The staff welcoming you into the restaurant were very strict with everyone using the sanitizer and within the restaurant I saw the staff who cleared the tables spraying there hands in-between each table. Our room was mopped and cleaned daily. They get 5/5 for cleanliness and I honestly feel they are doing everything they can do on that score but in all honesty i think this hotel perhaps needs to look at other sources now like the ventilation or pool areas, Jacuzzi's are in particular germ breeding areas. I work in the medical field and there are many bacteria that can be found in these areas which all can give symptoms similar to what have been described, I'm guessing the water is tested regularly to check for these? If this problem could be eliminated once and for all this really would be the perfect hotel to stay at.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank catherine g
Dear catherine g :
Thank you for considering a hotel near perfect, we are very close and try it on your next visit be "perfect"We really appreciate your very positive feedback regarding all aspects of our hotel and we are pleased to learn that everything we offered you along your stay has exceeded your expectation.
Your compliment regarding our hotel and our services are highly appreciated since this is the indicative that our service has met your satisfaction and this will surely raise our spirit in giving the best service for our valued guests.
I regret so much that during your stay you have been ill for a short of time, as you say, we do many cleaning and hygiene efforts, still the highest standards hotels in this area
Once again thank you for your nice review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Marconfort Beach Club