“Spanish Highs!!”

Marconfort Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #29 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had checked some reviews before booking this hotel and were excited for staying here. But dismay soon set in when reading further reviews later. By the time we set off for our holiday we were expecting a dump with people stuck in rooms with the dreaded bug and the hotel ready to be closed down!!!! We found quite the opposite! A lovely hotel .... Clean, friendly and excellent restaurant! Good entertainment and well run. So don't believe all you read. People are a lot quicker to criticise than praise!!

We had brought plenty of Imodium with us for any bouts of the runs which seemed from on here we were guaranteed to suffer from! Neither my husband or I had any illness whatsoever and indeed were very impressed with all the meals. Plenty of choice, well cooked and full of flavour. The staff were very hygiene conscious wearing gloves and constantly cleaning down. Everyone had to use hand sanitizer before they entered the restaurant and called back if they didn't use it properly! A godsend considering many guests would use the public loos and leave em without washing their hands!!! It is the guests that are to blame for any viruses. Certainly not the hotel so people really need to stop dissing the place on here.

I am not saying it is the guests own fault if they fall ill. Majority of guests were clean and obeyed rules.... But those who didn't do put others at risk. In the week we were there we saw people not bother with the cloth when cutting the fresh bread and manhandled it whilst coughing!!! We saw lots of coughs and sneezes near food with no attempt to cover their mouth and noses! Some didn't bother with the tongs to pick up food... Young and old!!! I have to admit I poured champagne on the table one morning... Careless i know ... but I was left open mouthed at a man in his 30s who came up to the side of me whilst I was pouring it and he emptied the contents of his babies bottle into the ice bucket!!!!!!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! The only thing I can suggest the hotel does to combat any viruses is to carry on how they are but employ more staff to just observe and stop these dirty beasts of guests spreading germs!!!

Yes the bedrooms are tired and dated, but we had no intention of staying long in our rooms each day. It was kept clean and all rooms have seaview. So no complaints.
All public areas were spotless. If anything wifi was very slow but again when on holiday is it necessary to be constantly online???? And sunbeds could really do with cushions on them!!

Entertainment was laid on during the day and night. Some acts were better than others but good overall. Look out for the Argentinian drummers who were amazing and le Clochard the magician who was very funny!!

A great place for families. We were just a couple so it was probably a bit too family orientated for us but we would definitely recommend it to others!

The hotel is at the far end of Torremolinos but still a lovely walk to Benalmadena and its pretty marina.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Foxymama1
LuisLuque, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Foxymama1 :
Thank you for writing such an amazing review.
It is always good to check for yourself the reality, which is not as you would expect with other reviews written here. as you say, everyone believes that this hotel is chaotic, but to get there you can see that the reality is quite different, as you note.
Regarding the rest of service will try to improve every day and thank you for recommending our hotel, sure this comment will be read by many customers.
I look forward to see you again.
Kinds regards.

There are newer reviews for Marconfort Beach Club Hotel

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have just stayed here for 4 days and had a lovely time. 2 adults and 4 kids, 17, 16, 10 and 7. Many people write about bugs etc. the hotel food is perfectly cooked and fresh, the only problem I can see is parents and children not washing hands correctly and letting them sneeze over the food in the restaurant. All guests are asked to sanitize their hands before entering the restaurant but very few do. Also, half the uk have bugs at the mo and these bugs are being carried over from the uk. I personally had no issues at all, yes the indoor pool is a little crazy as the kids go wild and the outdoor pools were cold. It is April remember!!! I hate reading poor reviews about this hotel, I'm not a snob but do like and enjoy nice things! We had a stunning time here. People writing about workers painting etc etc, well, al least they maintain the hotel and anyone can see they are getting ready for a busy summer period. I would definatly recommend this hotel on anyone! Good quality drinks, great choice of food but most of all, our 4 kids had a great time! Moaners moan!! Nothing to moan about here! You moaners should get out more!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Marknnnnnm

Dear Marknnnnnm :
First, allow me thank you for the time taken to write you feedback about your latest experience at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel.
Thanks also for being so honest in your comments, in fact, children education regarding hygiene and social behavior is the parents, but we try to make all our customers meet basic hygiene standards, but unfortunately we can not act as police and go after each of the children.
In our hotel maintenance works are continuous throughout the year, thus always maintain our facility in the best possible condition, however, I understand that there can always be inconveniencing customers, but sure most are very sympathetic.
Thanks again for your comments and I hope the rest of the users are responsive to your words.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here from 10th until 17th March with two friends. Room small as we had three beds and basic, bathroom from 80,s. Food varied and some dishes cooked as you waited. first two days fine then on Tuesday my friends became ill with diarrhea and vomiting and I spent 24 hours getting fluids for them. Reception informed and they came to say it was a norovirus going around. We asked to have the room cleaned thoroughly which the staff did. On the Wednesday came down with the same thing which lasted 36 hours, after which we were all on toast, fruit, water and soup for the remainder of the holiday. The staff were very helpful and pleasant but the fact remains that there is an issue if so many people are affected. Three weeks on and we are just about back to normal health wise.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Deb-g66
LuisLuque, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Deb-g66 :
Thank you for your review here on the tripadvisor´s website concerning your recent stay at our Marconfort Beach Club Hotel.
Although a food & healthy inspection has been realized in our installations, and it can be proved that there are no anomalies, we would like to remind you that our standards of food & beverage and cleanliness are regularly inspected by external companies, which can certificate that we fully fulfill the health & safety requirements.
We thank you for having chosen Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, hoping to welcome you again and willing to change your mind of our Hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We are just back from staying at this hotel, and we just wanted to let people know how clean and pleasant it was.we saw no evidence of bad hygiene and the food was excellent with loads of choice, and we certainly were not sick.The staff were very hard working and pleasant .
Maybe the illness was people over indulging in the free alcohol and food.

Room Tip: We had sea view on 9th floor
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AlanM400

Dear AlanM400 :
On the behalf of the hotel Marconfort Beach Club team I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay and for posting your review on TripAdvisor for the first time , also I hope you had a delightful trip back to Cork.
I will share your comments with the rest of the staff whom I am sure will be glad to learn first hand they were the main reason behind making your stay a success.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel is right on the beach and only 5 mins from Airport (18 euros in taxi). Found the choice and quality of food and drinks really good. The Italian corner of the restaurant was excellent and the chef there will prepare you a fresh plate of pasta which he cooks up over a hot flame (you choose your own pasta/sauce/ingredients). We had a fabulous room on first floor with huge balcony and front sea view. A few niggles with the room though, single bed was not comfy and the bathroom had a smell and was not properly cleaned (you could tell that this has been the case for a long time). Didn't spoil our stay though.

The front gate of the hotel takes you right onto beach front and we hired beds there which I think cost us 7.50 euros for 3, so very reasonably priced and you get a big comfy mattress and umbrella for that too!

Train station very local, just 5-10 mins walk and train takes you right along to fuengerola (or you can go other way to airport) either way, less than 2 euro each.

Unfortunately on our second last day my mum caught the bug (severe sickness and diarhoea) and could not leave the room. She was actually ill for over a week after we got home. Reception let us keep the room on until we were due to leave at 5pm and because mum was ill, they did not charge the going rate of 30 euro. We spoke to lots of other guests who also had relatives suffering from this illness.

Up until mum caught the bug I would definitely have recommended this hotel and would have returned again however not sure now. Could be nothing to do with the hotel but prob won't take the chance.

Room Tip: Room 115, huge balcony, front sea view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank nickymunro

Dear nickymunro :
We are so happy to read that the room we had allocated to you was to your liking and that you had a comfortable stay.
Our Italian corner is highly appreciated by our customers, where they can find fresh pizza or order dishes to your liking with different sauces, I'm glad you have enjoyed this kind of food, like the rest of our restaurant supply.
I regret that during his stay your mother has been ill, I wish you recover soon and I also hope we provide a new opportunity to spend your vacation again with us.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

just returned from marconfort beach hotel. no problems at all , no sign of any bug as mentioned by previous visitors. only problem was the weather which wasn't very good but thats no fault of the hotel. easy reach of nearby resorts via train and very cheap just a 10 minute walk up the hill to the station.. entertainment o.k. staff friendly, bar service good,
food not a problem allways found something we liked. would return to this hotel but probably in the summer months when weather better and warmer.

Room Tip: upper rooms with sea view are quite sunny
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michael b

Dear michael b :
Thank you so much for your delightful review of Marconfort Beach Club Hotel.
Your feedback will make it easier to give a first impression of the Hotel to travelers all around the world.
We are really glad you enjoyed your stay that much and looking forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel next summer. I`m sure that we will have better weather.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed at the Marconfort 17th to 24th March. Welcomed by reception staff who seemed quite pleasant. Found our room to be a bit small but it was clean and adequate. First two days were OK but unfortunately a group of young French footballers arrived for a few days training and they ended up on either side of our room, and the peace ended there. In the early hours of the following morning after a disturbed night my partner went down with the dreaded BUG, and was very ill for the next two days. During this awful time WE had to change rooms because of the noise. Then I started feeling ill and had to spend the rest of the holiday in the room. The staff seemed to be doing all the right things with sanitizers and cleaners etc. but in my opinion it has to do with the kitchen, maybe dishwashers not properly working or the like. Having said this the food always looked good, well presented and appetizing. Some people thought they were clever not using the sanitizers when the staff weren't around. We go away several times a year and I have never written a review like this before. We are a couple in our early sixties and wanted a quiet relaxing break. If you are similar minded this is not the hotel for you as there were many boisterous groups who were oblivious to anyone else.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank peacewood
LuisLuque, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Dear peacewood :
Thank you for taking your time to leave your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your holiday with us at the Marconfort Beach Hotel.
I am sorry you have had problems during your stay with us in relation to noise, we trying to do everything possible to prevent this from happening, both in common areas as in hallways and rooms, please accept my sincere apologies and I feel that you have been ill.
All our staff makes great efforts to maintain our quality standards at the highest levels, thanks for your understanding and we try all customers also make this same effort in relation to hygiene within our facilities.
I hope to give us another chance in the near future.