“Can not fault the hotel for the money we paid” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Tiburon Hotel Boutique

El Tiburon Hotel Boutique
Ranked #31 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Can not fault the hotel for the money we paid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

Our room was very clean, light and airy with a nice sized bathroom. The balcony was a decent size and had a pool view. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly including Christina. She is a bit stern looking, but when we spoke to her and were friendly, she was friendly back. The hotel was budget accommodation but for £12 each per night I could'nt fault it. The pool although not the prettiest, always had beds free and the deck is sunny until about 7pm, we mainly spent time on the beach though.

Location wise it doesnt get much better. It takes about 15 minutes from Malaga airport to get to the hotel in a taxi transfer. It takes literally 2 minutes to walk to the beach. There is a street with numerous lovely restaurants and bars at the back of the hotel, although I must stress this street is not tacky or noisy. It is a 20 min walk along the beach to the marina area at Benalmedina, where again there are some nice restaurants and bars. We walked along to the main Torremolinos beach, again about a 20 min walk in the other direction, but felt it was not as nice as our beach.

The beach by the hotel was lovely, with some fantastic beach restaurants and shacks. The sunbeds were great with thick new cushions on them and they only cost 4E for the day. If you walk along the street the hotel is on towards the marina, there are also a few resaurants and bars further up. Thats where we found the restaurant called the Spanish Garden, it was great quality and service. We ate from both the set menu 16E for 3 courses and the main menu, all the food was fabulous.

All in all we had a great time and the resort was a nice suprise as we thought it might be tacky! Nightlife wise it was pretty quiet. In the centre of torremolinos (shopping district) there is a gay area with some bars and nightclubs. We went to Passion and heard that Home was also good. They play mainly house music, you'll pay a lot more for your drinks here though. It's not particularly touristy in this area though, in fact its mainly spanish and only busy on a Friday and Saturday night. Otherwise there are a few nice late bars by the marina and there is the area they call the 24 hour square in Benalmedina. We went one night to have a look, and didnt like it. It was very tacky and full of teenagers downing shots. Its away from the sea front and the marina though, so unless yoou specifically go there you wont come across it. Other than that there is an abundance of nice and relaxed bars, cafes and restaurants throughout the resort and we didnt find them particularly overpriced.

This is the first spanish beach holiday I've had in years and I enjoyed it and would recommend the Carihuela area of resort to anyone who wanted sun, a nice beach and a great variety of restaurants.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank VeeLeeds

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

I have never been moved to writing a review before, but I feel compelled to do so this time!
The hotel is perfect, beautifully clean,etc etc. The staff, (excluding Christina-The Owner) were helpful, cheery and went out of they're way to ensure all my needs were met. I have nothing but praise for the staff and hotel facilities.
HOWEVER, I have read previous remarks from guests who seem to describe "Christina" as a somewhat whimsical, harmless, quirky woman who underneath her harsh exterior, lies a heart of gold!
As a solo traveler I found her aggressive to the point of being quite scared of her.
I have a number of solo holidays each year, and I am no shrinking violet, believe me, but never have I been on the receiving end of such petty rudeness and venom in my life!
This lady should perhaps appreciate her customers and accept that people are on holiday to relax and chill out, not be frightened to pass her in reception each day!
In the couple of interactions I had with her about directions etc, she shrugged her shoulders and told me that she didn't know where the bus stops were, or information about timetables "as she doesn't use bus, she has a car at the door" Another time I also asked her if I could borrow a pair of scissors for a few minutes, again she shrugged, said nothing, stared for ages and eventually said "No"! Another guest asked if he could borrow and iron, and I understand she shrugged and refused this request too.
I have found it difficult to write this, I have visited some wonderful Spanish hotels over the years and have been met with the most wonderful hospitality. My interactions have always comprised of the odd "buenas dias" etc, and I have always kept myself to myself.
Maybe if you are part of a group, or a couple, "Christina" may be seem slightly less abrasive, I don't know! What I do know is that unfortunately, I will not be returning, which is a shame because the hotel is perfectly acceptable and good value for money.
Take my advice..................ask "Christina" to stay at home!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank irenem72
Kendal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

we picked this hotel after reading reviews on this site. Very good price and value. In a perfect position a very short stroll from lovely promenade miles long, with shops, cafes, gardens, beach and port. Hotel was clean and friendly ,room cleaned and fresh towel each day.
Small lounge with bar which served food with a smile. I managed to make Christyna, the owner. smile each day and she gave my wife a hug has we left after two weeks. There was some noise at night but that is people on their holidays, didn't bother me as I use ear plugs!
The position of this hotel is perfect as it 10 mins from the airport and strolling distance from two large resorts which you can reach by bus ( stop nearby) and other resorts further away. A perfect, inexpensive, Spanish hotel. We will be back..
Doreen and Brian Kendal

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived how clean the whole place was & how friendly the staff & other guests were, it immediately felt like visiting
family. I had a top floor room but the lift only goes to the 3rd floor, ok for me but take note if it isn't for you. The room had an excellent sea view & overlooked the pool/terrace area, with its own Awning over the balcony.
I had a problem with bathroom windows not locking, reported it at reception & it was repaired the next day by a very friendly staff member.
I was on room only but bought a few breakfasts from the menu where you can pick items individually & it was excellent value under 6eu.
There was some noise through thin walls but it was overweighed by the standard of everything else.
A safe is provide in the room for 19eu but you get 6 back on leaving when handing key back with receipt. As stated by previous reviewers, the Bar is well stocked & affordable too. The beach is literally 5mins away & forget the comments about bin noise at night, as all over Spain the policy is to collect rubbish at night & Torre has a new less noisy system & you can't blame the Tiburon anyway as where ever you stay you will hear it. It's just us British are not used to night collections.
Having been to Torremolinos & Benalmadena before, I found the Tiburon in an excellent position to enable a trip to Torre for 1.25euro each way or 5eu for a Taxi. Alternatively a nice 20min walk to Benalmadena Marina down the seafront is good.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Desinstudentland
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

We have just stayed there for a week and overall it wasnt bad. The room was functional and had a bath/shower although the shower head could have done with being changed. It was basic and a little dated and of need of some refreshing but not necessarily refurbishing. The pool and surrounding area is a little small but still functional with full sun from around midday until late afternoon, and the raised sun terrace until early evening. Very close to the lovely Carihuela beach with its various little shops and resteraunts. The bar seems to have quite a bit of choice and do a small breakfast menu at the side of the lounge (extra cost), as the downstairs resteraunt seemed closed.

The biggest downside however is the other guests as the walls are pretty thin. At the weekend there was some local male guests either side of us that came back at 4/5am and proceded to put the tvs on open/close cupboard doors and chat and laugh away for ages that we could hear clearly, only stopping after we had whacked the wall several times. For the last part of the week there were a groups of lads in several rooms above, and while we could not hear voices or laughing etc there was there was noise from feet/shoes and door/cupboard noise.

Overall though a well located, but potentially noisy economic hotel.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms dont realy have street noise
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
N. Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

This is my fourth visit to the El Tiburon and I hope to return again next september all the staff were pleasant and welcoming, rooms were spotless, bought breakfast each morning in the hotel and it was great value for money. Hotel is in an ideal location and while it could do with some care and attention nevertheless it has a relaxed and laid back atmosphere about it that draws you back time after time. The surrounding area is lovely and the shopping great.

Lilolil - Northern Ireland

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lielowlil
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Stayed at the hotel last year in June and booked straight away to return this year. Hotel is spotless clean and the price of drinks in the bar is very reasonable. Having paid only £11 pp per night this hotel is far better than some of the more expensive hotels in the resort that we have stayed in. The staff are friendly and sometimes you may even get a smile from Cristina (owner/receptionist) The pool area is small with about 15 sunbeds but even though the hotel is full we never had a problem getting a bed. The beach is so close that many people prefer to go there (9 euros for 2 beds & umbrella) The main strip of Carihuela is just behind the hotel with many bars & restaurants including Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Indian etc. We will definitely be returning next year.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends