WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

hello just got back from a week at sol don pedro had a brilliant holiday,the hotel is kept very clean and the staff are very helpful and friendly, we stayed on a bed and breakfast basis and the choice of food was fantastic, for English there was .. Bacon eggs sausage beans toast tomato all cooked perfect, an omelette station poach egg scrambled egg boiled egg fried egg the choice endless.. also all continental, pastries cakes fruit yogurt cold meats hams ect, all different juices and as much tea and coffee as you like so plenty of choice, the pools are nice and warm in July and plenty of sun beds..all in all a great holiday..one point tho..It would be good if the hotel had a no smoking policy around the pool area, its not nice when you are lying on a sun bed then some body on the next sun bed lights a cigarette and the smoke and ash blows all over you spoiling the piece and fresh air, it would be good if there was a smoking area where people could leave there sun bed go smoke then return, by the bar area may be, a few tables and chairs set alone, would be good to be able to just breath fresh air and relax with out the smell of other peoples smoke, apart from that we had a great holiday in the huge resort of torremolinos. David Bristol England..

2 Thank 204DAVID

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

This year I stayed solo and decided to try the Don Pedro, having previously stayed in the Don Marco last year with family. Check-in was quick and painless, Miguel is frequently on duty and does a great job. Room was nice, given a twin room even though I had booked single, so that was a bonus.

Room cleaning and food were 1st class once again, there are plenty of activities to keep the kids busy through the summer, and even though the hotels seemed full, the food buffets never seemed overwhelmed. There was a pleasant mix of Spanish, German, British, Polish, Dutch and French. Some wonderful Salmon and beef dishes were served in the evening... and once again breakfast was top-notch.

I don't want to repeat too much from my previous review of the Sol Don Marco, so let me say a little bit about Torremolinos, since I was travelling alone a taxi seemed excessive, so I looked for the Bus, unfortunately the service in this direction is less than user-friendly, it's hard to locate the correct ticket office and stop, and time was ticking so I decided on the train. The new trains on the main costa routes are an absolute pleasure, smooth and spacious with video screens inside and out, announcements in Spanish & English - very cheap too, e1.70 single from Malaga Airport to Torremolinos.

The train station is outside the main arrivals terminal, just across the way, there are big signs. Use the ticket machines but remember to keep your ticket during the journey as you need it to get out at your destination. The station in Torremolinos is in the main plaza where the fountains are.

The days of this town being a run-down package-holiday ghetto are thankfully long gone, the beachfront has been redeveloped extensively and many of the hotels renovated. There are some great restaurants, it is a bit touristy though so prices are slightly more than many places in Spain. Whilst I was there they were installing blocks of recycling bins for paper, plastic and even organic wasted on the actual main beach road.

It really is worth a visit to Malaga too, it's cultured, relaxed and there is plenty to see, it doesn't have to be just the place you land & take off. Though I want to try Fuengirola next I will no doubt return to Torremolinos, and when I do it will be to the Sol Don hotels. Thanks to all the staff for looking after me.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Mark B
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pedro Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Mark B,
Thanks for choosing the Sol Dons again for your holiday. It is always very rewarding to welcome returning guests into any of the three hotels in the complex.
Your review is very informative and I am sure it will be helpful for potential visitors to Torremolinos. Not everyone is aware of how easy and cheap it is to get up and down the coast on the train. I definitely recommend it for arrivals from the airport as long as you aren't lugging big cases.
We look forward to your next visit. I will be interested to hear how youi feel Torremolinos compares with Fuengirola.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

We have just returned from the Sol Don Pedro Hotel where we stayed for a 3 day break. The hotel is spotlessly clean in every area and the staff are very helpful and friendly. We only booked bed and breakfast and there was a wide variety of choice for the breakfast meal all cooked and prepared to a high standard. We did eat in the restaurant one night and found this to be satisfactory but there was a small choice of food for the main course. Sun beds were always available and you didn't have to rush to put towels on as happens in too many hotels.
We would happily return to this hotel for bed and breakfast but would choose to eat out in the evening in the local vicinity where there is plentiful choice of restaurants.
A lovely relaxing break.

Room Tip: High room with pool/sea view
Dear Christine E,
Thank you for your review. I am so glad that the Sol Don Pedro was a good choice for you and I appreciate all your comments.
Torremolinos is a great place for bed and breakfast holidays as there are literally hundreds of restaurants both along the beach and up in town which serve anything from the delicious local fried fish and paella to italian, argentinian, sushi, chinese...
I hope that we see you again in one of the Sol Don Hotels. Thanks again.
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Have stayed in the Sol Principe many times (Excellent Hotel) so decided to book the Sol Don Pedro this time thinking it would be to the same standard.....that was a big mistake! Travelled with my parents and requested a room beside or opposite them. When I arrived at hotel I was told this was not possible even thought it had been booked months in advance (I know they say they cant guarantee but the principe always could). Rooms were dirty especially the bathroom. The bathroom had hair on the floor some kind of food stuck to the sink and was dusty like it had not been cleaned for awhile. The drawers in the bedroom had a white powder in them....i left them open thinking they would be cleaned (didnt happen). My parents and I were very far apart on two separate floors. In my parents room it was also dirty and the toilet seat was broken and was not fixed during our stay. We stayed half board and while breakfast was quiet good with plenty of variety dinner was poor....not enough variety....poor cuts of meat.....hot food was luke warm or cold. Bar area smelled disgusting like sewage the whole time. Pool area was lovely and cleaning staff were nice. Found the person we dealt with at check in to be quiet surly and abrupt.
Children were allowed jump and dive in the pool (one landing on me) and bring lilos in taking up half the pool.
I hate to write a bad review but feel I must.....standards definitely need to be raise here!!!
I would not recommend the Don Pedro. I have booked another melia hotel for next year and this will decide if I use the melia group again!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Ursula C
Dear Ursula C,
I am so sorry that your experiance with us at the Don Pedro was so utterly disappointing. I take all your comments very seriously and will investigate to see both what went wrong and how to rectify the issues.
As you can see on Trip Advisor posts, we generally have very positive reviews both of the cleanliness and maintenance.
I have to admit to having had a problem regarding a couple of the life guards earlier in the season. They were not taking their responsibilities towards policing behaviour seriously. This has since been rectified and I apologise that you were adversely effected during that period.
I appreciate you taking the time to flag up the problems that you had with us.
I hope that your experiences at other Melia hotels that you might visit in the future won't be a reflection of this last trip. If you should ever visit one of the other Sol Don Hotels I would be very happy to attend you personally.
Retford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Nice hotel if a little dated but I felt it provided reasonable value for money stayed for four nights for a break. Air conditioning did not work in our room upon arrival maintenance arrived within five minutes but could not resolve the problem. Reception were very apologetic and changed our room straight away.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Damiantyreman,
Many thanks for your review. I appreciate you letting us know that the problem that you had was resolved quickly and I hope that you were then able to carry on enjoying your short break.
Please visit us again in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last june, breakfast buffet was amazing, beach on the doorstep, has loads of really good pools, walk up the stairs to the town centre is well wort it, room was spotless, the spa is value for money, the massage was quite good too.

Day trip to gibraltar is highly recommended

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank explorer2790
Rotherham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at Don Pedro for a 3 night break last week. It was a cheap deal(cheaper than a break in England). We arrived at the hotel about 9.30 pm to be greeted by a warm, friendly receptionist. She actually had a conversation with us rather than a normal quick check in, as in some hotels. She told us about her stay at Birmingham uni, and we had a lovely chat( as my son goes to same uni in September). We had a lovely ground floor room, small but perfect for the 3 nights we would be there. It was spotless and hotel was undergoing decoration as we were there.
The location is fantastic, the beach straight across the road. You have the use of the 3 hotels in the group. So there are plenty of pools to choose from.
Although we didn't have kids, there seemed to be a lot going on with the animation team, so this would be ideal for families.
There are plenty of bars and restaurants within a short stroll. Don't miss the turning up the hill with plenty of stalls which take you up to the main town( we almost missed it). There is loads to see up there.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to any one. We were really impressed. All staff were very pleasant, breakfast really good.
Also only 10 mins from airport so can just jump in a taxi, under 20 euros.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pedro Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear neesycoop01,
Thank you for taking time to review the Sol Don Pedro. I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay so much and I will be sure to tell Maria how much your chat about Birmingham Uni meant to you!
There is lots to do in the area so i am glad that you made it up into the town. There is also a lift that takes you up to the main shopping streets (50 cents each way) for those who don't feel up to walking up the stairs although as you mentioned, all the little stalls on the way up make it quite fun.
I hope that we have the chance to welcome you back one day.