WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dublin
“1 st week in Oct.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed for first week of Oct. on a half board basis. We arrived late (10 pm) but a selection of dinner items were kept for us to eat in the restaurant I had read about the waiting time for lifts in previous posts so on check in asked for 1st or second floor so I could manage the stairs if needed, also I wanted it to be overlooking the entertainment . There was non available so took 605 and was asked to check in morning for lower floor. The room was fine and big and was fitted out in a modern style with small 19’’ LCD TV and nice bed and a bath with shower in a good sized bathroom. Next morning the helpful receptionist gave us 118 which had a walk in shower and had been refurbished this year. The reception staff were all very helpful as I have found in all the Sol hotels.
The meals were good and dinner choice seemed better on the first 3 days than on the following 4. Five months earlier we stayed at the Sol Aloha Puerto on the other side of Torromolinos and I would put the food there as superior with a wider choice and slightly hotter. The Don Pedro breakfast had some good points one was having tea pots which the Aloha did not. The orange juice was of a poor quality there was a diabetic option on a table ( I do praise the hotel for these sugar free items option) but this was not much better. Eggs were cooked fresh every morning on a flat hotplate not a pan so ask for easy over if you don’t like very runny ones.
I found the entrainment at night to be very good and it attracted large crowds from all three hotels. There is a selection of pools in the gardens with plenty of beds on different levels to sunbath on and also two synthetic outdoor bowls pitches at the side of the hotel.
This is a good hotel and if the few minor items in the restaurant were attended too I would give it five stars. Thanks to all the cheerful and helpful staff in the hotel who made our stay most pleasant

1 Thank TangoDublin
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pedro Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear TangoDublin,
Thank you for your informative review. It is much appreciated. I am so glad that you enjoyed the Sol Don Hotels complex and I hope that we might see you again in the future.
Jaime Floyer.
p.s. I see that you actually stayed in the Sol Don Pablo which is one of the other 2 hotels in the complex (because the Don Pedro does not have a 6th floor) but all the facilites are shared anyway. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Just back from our 2nd visit this year at Don Pedro 15/10 - 25/10. We had a standard room in April & decided to book a superior room this time. Booked through melia.com and got a good price. Flew from Dublin with Aer Lingus & got the train outside airport to Torremolinas, 4 stops €1.70 each & 10 minutes. It took us less than 15 minutes to walk downhill to the hotel, or you could get a taxi outside train station. Arrived around mid-day. Check-in was very slow. I had e-mailed a week before for a room on the top floor (4th floor) if possible and got a reply they would do their best but no guarantees, which was fine. We were given room 283. I asked about a room on the top floor and mentioned the e-mail which she knew nothing about and she checked something and said yes tomorrow we have a room on the top floor. Great, we did not unpack and the next morning 1st thing we went to reception to be told by a man this time no not possible to day, he waived a piece of printed paper in front of me but for sure tomorrow. I persuaded my wife not to unpack again even though her clothes were in creases. Next morning 1st thing down to reception again, guess what no not to-day, she checked her screen, yes tomorrow we will have a room for you. I need not tell you my patience was gone at this stage and I said no thanks and walked away. If this is called doing their best I would hate to see their worst, and this is not even the high season. I was in Marjorca in August this year, there were 8 of us. I requested 3 rooms together on the top floor. When we arrived, reception immediately apologised and said they had only 2 rooms together on the top floor and 1 room on the ground floor beside pool. She said she would have a room the next day on the top floor, which she had, and this was in the high season! I do not know what room allocation system they use in the Don Pedro but it does not work. Now that I have that off my chest the rest of the staff were great, all friendly and smiling. The animation team were fantastic,great games during the day and great shows at night. Restaurant was pretty good, you would always find something you would like. We will not be going back to the Don Pedro next year because of reception but may try Don Pablo instead.

Room Tip: Don't believe what they tell you at reception.
3 Thank Libertyboy
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pedro Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Libertyboy,
Thank you for choosing the Sol Don Pedro again for your holidays. I am so sorry that you had such trouble in Reception and I really hope that it will not put you off coming again. It is not unusual when we are full (and we were full despite it not being high season) that we cannot assign the perfect room from the first day but we always try and offer an option for the following day. That you were not given what you had been offered the next day is not right; and that the same problem should have repeated itself is not acceptable. I apologise sincerely. I would really appreciate it if you would contact me directly before a future visit so that I can ensure that you are properly looked after.
I know that this was only one element of your holiday and I am delighted to see that you were so well treated by the rest of the staff and that you didn't allow this to ruin your trip.
Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention and thank you for continuing to choose the Don Pedro.
Kind regards
Jaime Floyer
jaime.floyer@melia.com
brum
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just returned from a stay at this hotel everything was great all staff were pleasant and helpful. We did upgrade our room before we arrived and had a lovely room on 4th floor overlooking the pool our maid service was excellent. Would definitely recommend to upgrade as we did notice some rooms overlooking the road and was not very impressed with these. Stayed at Don Pablo in June but preferred the Pedro. Restaurant service was excellent with a good variety of food although we did think drinks were a bit pricey. Would like to pass our thanks to all the staff for a lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Would go for room on 4th floor overlooking pool room 481 had nice sized balcony
4 Thank idealBrum
Thank you so much idealBrum. Your comments will be passed on to the staff. Come again soon.
west yorks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our third visit to this complex. Checked in and were given room 290. There was no balcony, the window opened to a view of the back of the kitchens. Spoke to Manolo who changed our room the next day which overlooked the pool.
There is a good choice of food at breakfast and dinner. I saw quite a few people making packed lunches from the continental buffet, there is a sign that says you will be charged for taking items from the dining room!!
The gardens are lovely and well kept. There was a very young ginger kitten in the grounds whilst we were there, very friendly, bless.
Only saw one show "Four Tops" have to say their clothes were shabby, in need of a good press.
I love the location of these hotels, 10 minutes from the airport and right on the beach.
Paco makes a lovely cafe con leche, much better than the machine in the dining room.
We will defo go back

• 4 of 5 bubbles
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pedro Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear alfie1WestYorks,
Thanks for your review. I am sorry about room 290 on the first night - I am glad that the front desk staff were attentive and that you got a swift upgrade to compensate.
I do hope to see you again soon to enjoy a coffee with Paco!
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

We have just got back after 12 nights. Slight mix-up on arrival but assured by manager Jaime will not happen again. Have reviewed this hotel before so this time will review the entertainment staff. Led by Curro, and including Marco, Polly, Tavo, Mika and the dynamic duo Johnny & Maria. These staff are a credit to Don Hotels long may they continue. You will not fail to enjoy the entertainment that is based in the Don Pablo. These great entertainers always have time for you and will stop and chat anytime.

Room Tip: Book with confidence and if you can upgrade to pool view room.
Dear Bbillclaret,
Thanks so much for your review of the entertainment team. As you know they have a busy schedule but they are always enjoying themselves and their enthusiasm is quite infectious.We look forward to the next visit. Now I know which rooms you like I have already booked you in!
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Returned to this hotel after a break of 3 years having been several times previously. The male reception staff were surly and unhelpful. The hotel was not as clean seeing cockroaches and flies.
Our room was often not cleaned until after 3pm. Had booked a superior room but this has been "sold" to some one else. Our standard room was satisfactory but noisy. Our key failed midweek and you would have thought it was our fault!
We couldn't find any free wifi and were told we had to pay for it. However the restaurant staff were great and the food was excellent. The entertainment in the lounge was very enjoyable as usual.

2 Thank Jean E
Dear Jean E,
Thank you for taking the time to review your last stay at the Sol Don Pedro. I am very sorry to hear that you were not treated as you would have liked by the member of staff at reception and that the room type that you booked was not available. I will investigate this as we generally have more superior rooms than bookings for them. Please accept our apologies.
You mention that you encountered both flies and cockroaches during your stay. The flies, unfortunately, are a fact of life at this time of year and are not related to cleanliness. It seems that the temparature suits them for a couple of weeks and although they can be a little irritating they do no more harm. Cockroaches are unfortunately also a fact of life in southern Spain and we have a programme of erradication to keep them under control and away from the buildings. Again this is not a reflection of cleanliness - an area in which we consisitently score in excess of 90% - but I see that we must demand a more thorough job of pest control.
I hope that you will come back to see us in the future to enjoy the hotels, gardens, restaurants and entertainment. I am sorry that you felt a little disappointed but I am sure that we can make it up to you in the future.
Kind ragrds,
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 9 days beginning of October the weather was great not a cloud in the sky ,we normally stay in the don Marco but thought we would give the don Pedro a try not much difference in the rooms both are very good, only downside is we had a room overlooking the car park, we will be back at this hotel end of December this year hope we get a room overlooking the pool this time, I would recommend this hotel complex to anybody the food is great as is the staff, its right on the sea front and walking distance to the train station all in all a great hotel

1 Thank Guy B