“Short trip.”

Sol Don Pedro by Melia
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I arrive for a short stay at the hotel with my mother for just two night, I had not stayed in this group of three hotels before but a friend had been there three times and seemed to enjoy the stays him and his wife had there. My mother specially liked the appearance of the hotel as it has some Spanish features, eg, wooden ceiling beams etc. When we booked in, the company we had made the booking through had not passed on my request for a walk in shower for my mother who has trouble climbing into to a bath. The receptionist immediately allocated us a room suitable for someone with difficulties walking, ie, walk in shower cubicle, support handles etc, this suited us very well. We found the food in the hotel to be very good, varied choices, the food was also cooked fresh and was not left standing for hours. The first night there was an excellent choice of different meats including my favourite, lamb. The breakfast was not quite as good, very greasy bacon and sausages swimming around is some kind of odd cloudy liquid. We found that our fellow guests in the hotel were all older people, there were very few children at the hotel. We enjoyed our stay and the location was very central.

Room Tip: If possible and if you are wanting an early night, go for a room on the outer end of the hotels and...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pedro by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you for your review Barbieno1. I appreciate all your comments and I am glad that you both enjoyed the hotel and the service that you nreceived. I have taklen on your comments regarding the bacon and sausages. We will find a better way of presenting them immediately.
Thanks again and kind regards,

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I returned to the Don Pedro at the end of May. Last year I was not allowed to enter the restaurant for dinner wearing shorts. This year things seem to have changed with people going for dinner looking like they have just walked off the beach even though there are dress code cards in the rooms. Are standards slipping?
Otherwise it is still a very good hotel / complex. Nice food - something for everyone. The only thing that I don't like is having to pay €2 for a glass of water with my meal.
Rooms are cleaned every day. I had a large room (435) with a double bed and separate bedroom with 2 single beds. The only downside to it was the noise from the lift. I would recommend this hotel / complex and the area too.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We went to this hotel last year and returned again on the 21st May this year for another two weeks. The main reason for the return was weather and location. This is an average Sol hotel; certainly not the best by any means, except for the food.
Out of all other Sol hotels we've stayed at, the food at the 'Dons' is by far the best - good variety and well prepared. There are very good facilities (swimming pools, entertainment, etc) as you might expect from three 4 star hotels in one. The ordinary rooms are small in the Pedro when an extra bed for a child is included (I've found 3 star places with bigger and better rooms) but were always kept very clean with regular sheet changes and clean towels every day.
The biggest faults with this hotel both concern staff in two areas. My following comments are based on the fact that I have had many holidays in Spain and specifically, the huge difference between staff members at the Pedro.
The animation team are great with Maria outstanding from the others; but all of them are friendly, always helpful even when busy, with a warm greeting for adults and children whenever they came near. The cleaners, maintenance staff and most other staff were fine, always polite and usually smiling.
The two glaring exceptions were reception and the dining room supervising staff.
Reception is the main face of the hotel - the first and last hotel staff a visitor sees. These are the people that should put themselves out to meet and greet, in that area they all fail abysmally. When they can manage to tear themselves from their computer screens many of them (sadly, especially the women) are abrupt to the point of rudeness. They rarely smile and act as if they are either stressed to the point of breakdown or, conversely, bone idle and could not be bothered. I felt they were doing me a favour when they conversed instead of taking care of a guest at a 4 star establishment. I found nearly all of them favour Spanish visitors over the English and I was made to feel very discriminated against on several occasions, one of which I reported to management.
Several of the supervising staff in the restaurants were very much like the reception staff when it came to rudeness and exhibiting stress. Their collective ability to ensure the tables were cleared of used crockery and utensils is very poor with many guests forced to clear their own tables between courses; which is not something that should happen in a 4 star hotel and a practice I have not found in any other 3 or 4 star hotels anywhere in the world. The waitering staff work very hard, but are continually doing too many tasks that have nothing to do with waiting on tables, such as leaving the dining room to collect clean tablecloths, a task that should be done out of dining hours, or assisting the kitchen staff. The overall dining room impression is that the staffing levels may be too low, but the main problem is poor organisational management.
Despite the above issues I would still give the 'Don Pedro' 4 stars - but only just!

3  Thank NickSDyer
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is an excellent hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. The service was at all times during our 8 day stay first class with great food catering for all tastes. What more could anyone want from a holiday including an ideal location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bharv53

Dear Bharv53,
Thank you so much for your review. It is wonderful to know that we are doing things right for our guests and really hope that you will come again.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed at the Don Pedro again, first 2 weeks in April 2013.
This Hotel is a great place to stay. We have stayed there now over 20 times in the last ten years.
We always get a very warm welcome and the hotel gets better with each visit.
The rooms are quite large and have a nice balcony we always pay a little extra for a superior room. Give it a try you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Book a superior room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank eric h

Dear eric h,
It is wonderful to hear from repeat customers and to hear that we are managing to keep imroving year on year. Please keep coming back and we will do our best to ensure that we keep getting better.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Returned last week after staying 11 nights at this hotel. This was our fourth visit and we would definitely go back.Sadly we had to cancel at the last miute last year because of my husband's ill health, so we were delighted to be returning this year. My husband and I travelled with my elderly parents and I emailed the hotel in advance requesting quiet rooms close together on a high floor and received a prompt and polite response. We were placed in rooms exactly as requested. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped and the maid did an excellent job of keeping it spotlessly clean, always managing a smile and pleasant greeting. We had lovely views of one of the pools, the gardens and the sea.

The hotel is decorated in very traditional style which is both interesting and charming with lots of artwork, wrought iron and hung tapesteries. The public areas are cleaned to a very high standard and the hotel has lots of lovely seating areas. The hotel grounds are lovely (very spacious and pretty) and the gardens are immaculate. We loved to watch the birds in the aviary (they could provide hours of entertainment) and loved the pond full of frogs. We appeciated the choice of pool areas and particularly liked the 'courtyard pool' near the restaurant. I enjoyed swimming in it every day and found the water temperature very pleasant.

The entertainment team worked very hard and made joining in with the daytime activities great fun. My parents are keen bowlers and reallly appreciated the bowling facilities. They had some sucess in the competitions, winning small bottles of cava (a very nice touch).

The food on offer in the dining room was of a very high standard and we particularly enjoyed the choice of fish at dinner. The seating in the conservatory area of the restaurant was very pleasant, with views over the pool. There is an outside seating area which is lovely at breakfast. One small criticism/suggestion: a lot of people smoke on the terrace so it would be a good idea to designate an area for smokers and one for non-smokers.

We enjoyed happy hour cocktails on the terrace in the sunshine and it makes the drinks very good value (2 for the price of 1).

The hotel complex is in an excellent location, right on the sea-front with lots of bars, shops and restaurants very near. There is a lovely beach opposite and you can walk along the promenade all the way to Benalmadena. It is a short walk into the centre of Torremolinos and all of the shops and restaurants there. For the faint-hearted/feeble ones among us (me included) there is a lift up to the cente (it costs 50 cents pp). The walk down was fine. My husband liked to go up and down the stairs for exercise!

We got a bus from the bus station in Torremlinos to Mijas and spent a very enjoyable afternoon sight-seeing and browsing the shops as well as enjoying a superb lunch in the Secret Garden (will provide a review).

We also took a taxi to the botanical gardens - the Molino de Inca (will provide a review) as it is not very easy to reach on foot. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit there and would recommennd it as a wonderful place to visit. The gardens are stunning (particularly the Japanese garden) and there are lots of lovely places to sit and just enjoy the surroundings and the tranquility of the the place. It only costs 1 euro pp to enter (amazing value) and there were very few visitors as it doesn't seem to be advertised at all. The gardens are a hidden gem of Torremolinos!

We didn't watch much of the evening entertainment although there seemed to be something on every evening. There is often live music on at some of the local bars in the evening. It is very nice to take a stroll on the promenade after dinner and of course most of the shops are open late.

We found all the staff at the hotel very pleasant and helpful and the hotel seems to be very well run. You can use all of the facilities at any of the three hotels so there is plenty of choice. We have tried the spa on a visit previous but prefer to be outside in the sunshine!

This hotel provides excellent value for money and we had another relaxing and most enjoyable holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms on a high floor with a sea-view are very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your wonderful review holidaylover003. It is wonderful to see people making so much of their holidays and it is a great satiscation to be a part of the mix. Please come back again soon.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel was lovely our first visit to this area and this hotel and in the whole we were not disappointed. Picky bits - paid nearly 100 euros on arrival for a full sea view room and the internet for the room but we knew that before we booked so fair duos although in a four star this day and age you would expect a free internet services. Finding a fruit juice machine working at breakfast can be hit and miss, finding a clean tea pot also can be tricky and finding a milk jug almost impossible !!!. thats russian roulette breakfast for you but everything nice and plenty of choice. They just cant get decent bacon with little fat on it but thats been ongoing in spanish hotels for years !! Evening meal was lovely with loads and loads of choice for everyone. Weather was the worst I have seen for many years in the terms of glorious sunny days as it was cloudy most of the week but pleasant enough to mooch about and decent walking weather. Due to the weather cannot say how good/bad the pools were dare not be brave enough to go in them !!! One small security point was one morning we went looking for the indoor pool and found it by the bottom 2 outdoor pools but the door was open and nobody inside at all, perfectly fine for adults but would not have wanted little ones to be wandering about in there just in case. Location was super, turn right and stroll for market, centre (there is a lift if you look hard enough) and a longer stroll Benalmadena marina about a hours stroll. Beach across the road and a nice stroll if you turn left as well but not as much to see and look round. Hotel was spotlessly clean, rooms cleaned every day and overall very good throughout, internet was reliable. Small point the taxis outside the hotel I asked them how much about an hour before I was setting off they said 18 euros, when I was ready to go it was a different driver and I never checked he stung us for 22 euros so my fault for not clarifiying. Would recommend the hotel and would certainly stop again.

Brian

Room Tip: its another 64 euros but a front sea view room was awesome, you could even see the sea sat up in bed...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dajolo

Dear dajolo,
Many thanks for choosing the Sol Don Pablo and for taking the time to write up about us on TA. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay so much both in the hotel and the area. The weather was a great shame and I know that it really effects a holiday. I suppose one advantage that we have is that there is always something to do here, or somewhere to mooch, if the sun isn't out.
I have taken note of your comments and will take action where we can. I appreciate your frankness.
I sincerely hope that we have the chance to welcome you again in thye future.