“wonderfull holiday”

Sol Don Pedro by Melia
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I went on holoday recently to Torremolinos with a group,we stayed in the Sol Don Pedro Hotel for a week .It was a wonderfull experience we had the full use of three hotels on the complex each one as good as the next.We were on a half board basis the food was in abundance and the staff were unbelieveable really loved the pancakes at breakfast and of course the omlettes made to order.Our room was overlooking the beach and the cleanliness was a credit to the hotel and their friendly staff.it was my first visit to the hotel which is located across the road from the beach within easy acess to the town and fantastic walks.we also found Shanagins Irish Pub with fantastic music and dancing I am looking forward to going back next year already

Room Tip: requet a change if you are not happy with the room allocated
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank ellie060
Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed October 24, 2012

If you compare this hotel to an ordinary four star, it won't fare to well; yet given that it hosts a lot of package parties, it may just about get away with such a rating. We stayed for a weekend and found the location okay, the place itself in quite good shape, but the overbearing smell stemming from years of tobacco smoke in the room almost unacceptable. Had we stayed for longer than two nights, I would have insisted on another room rather than suffered the stench. Apart from the strong smell, the room was relatively clean and the little balcony was a nice little addition. If you intend to stay out all day as we did, this is a nice little base and definitely competitively priced (we got half board for two nights for a total of £120). The food on offer was quite basic and of varying quality; therefore I'd recommend Room Only or maybe B&B as a more realistic alternative.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Londonkraut
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We had a week at the Sol Don Pedro Hotel and there were seven of us in our family group. We had four rooms, including three doubles and one single. All rooms we had were the normal rooms overlooking the front of the hotel not the pool. There was no difference between the normal rooms and the superior rooms. The room cleaning staff were very polite and friendly. The reception staff were helpful and polite. However, the dinning room staff were rude, no manners, very little smiles and we felt that they did not want to be there. They were not organised and everytime we came to the desk where they seat you, they were suprised that we were a party of 7 and it seemed that we were an inconvenience. The managers came to assist the staff half way through the week, but they did not help the staff as they should have done, no change in food or service.

Food - We had half board (breakfast and dinner) the choice of food was basically the same every day with no variation. The breakfasts were better than the dinners. Very disappointing and we would not advise to go half board.

The location of the hotel is fantastic, just across the road is the beach. Shops also on the main road which is perfect to get your basics for the beach.

We would advise not to get drinks in the hotel bars as they are expensive and you can go to any bar around the hotel or on the beach front and it is alot cheaper.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MIkeJayne
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Very disappointed with hotel, payed 90 euros for a superior room but was anything but. Room very dated and small, balcony was a tiny artexed bunker where you got the sun till lunchtime but certainly not comfortable for two people. Food was fine but staff were just so miserable apart from the girl who took your room number on entering the dining area. Location was fine for getting out and about but would never return to this hotel. This is my fourth trip to Spain this year but this was like hostel accomodation compared to the 3 other hotels.

Room Tip: Do not pay for a superior room, only paying for supposedly a room with the Sun. Just wish i had have...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JohnMike
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pedro by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear JohnMike, I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your bereak at the Don Pedro. Thank you for commenting all the same.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We booked 2 weeks at the Don Pedro based on the regular good feedback on Trip advisor by people who return year after year, sadly we don’t agree with their reviews and were more than a little disappointed.

We arrived and were put in a ground floor room, we had chosen not to pay the extra for a superior room and maybe we would have had a better experience if we had. Our room overlooked a corner of the gardens near one of the pools, it was reasonable in size but our first reaction on entering the hotel itself was confirmed by the room, both seemed to be stuck in a 1970's time warp, there was limited storage for clothes, most of the furniture seemed to have had numerous coats of paint during it's lifetime to the point where drawers would not close or open easily due to sticking from too many layers of paint. The air conditioning worked OK as long as you left your card in the slot all day long, we discovered a store loyalty card worked just as well as the room key card so left that in continuously. It was kept very clean and there was good pressure in the water in the bathroom and lots of hot water.

As the hotel shares facilities, breakfast, if you chose to go at a busy time was a bit frantic and the dining room struggled to cope with guests from both Don Pedro and Don Marco leading to queues outside the dining room and managers seating people as tables became empty. There was always plenty of food of a good variety given the number of different nationalities on holiday there but the toast machines were very slow often needing 4 passes to get any colour on the bread and some of the warm food was left on a tray to go cold sometimes. We had decided to go half board so ate our evening meals in the dining room too, in hindsight I would have rather eaten out in the evening and though I would have spent more I'm sure my eating experience would have been far more satisfying. In the evening there were far fewer guests eating, maybe they'd been there before, again there was a good variety of food on offer but I have to say both quality and presentation of the hot food was quite poor often either overcooked or undercooked and vegetables seemed in the main to be tinned or frozen rather than fresh there was a good selection of salad and initially I attempted to create platesof food that I might choose to order or eat outside of the hotel, after a few days I gave up and simply filled my plate with food as you would do at a buffet which in no way resembled an actual meal, in fairness I didn't go hungry but I was disappointed. The only highlight were the deserts which were very good indeed. In general I found the food unappetising and I did indeed lose my appetite almost completely at the thought of eating in the dining room in the evening.

Sharing facilities did mean that there was a good choice of swimming pools but getting a sunbed in a good spot you needed to be up and about before 9.30am but beds were still available at lunchtime, it still disappoints me that some people feel the need to reserve a sunbed with a towel at 8am then come back at 6pm and remove the towel without ever using the sunbed itself.

WE never went to the evening entertainment so I can't comment on that, one evening we were in the bar in the San Pedro with a duo singing who were quite good but apart from us there were only about half a dozen other people there.

Free wifi is available in the bar but it is quite slow, you can get a faster connection anywhere in the hotel by paying for it prices ranged from €3 for 1 hour to €28 a week. There is a safe in the room but again that's extra €2 a day.

We went back to Torremolinos having spent our honeymoon there a little over 29 years ago but at a different hotel, it has changed a lot and I don't think we'll be going back again soon. Although it is a lively resort with many bars and restaurants very few play any music, we were told by more than one bar owner that this is down to the current Mayor of Torremolinos who will not issue licences to play music, we're not teenagers anymore and don't want to hear deafening disco music but to have some music in a bar or restaurant if you're eating or drinking does improve the atmosphere and enjoyment of the occasion particularly while on holiday. It seems now that the Brits are no longer the force they were in terms of tourists in Torremolinos, while we were there the majority seemed to be Spanish followed by Germans and most of the English speaking people we met came from Ireland.

In the end we had to cut our holiday short but in summary as I've previously said we won't be returning to either Torremolinos or the Sol Don Pedro again, 4* it is not in my opinion maybe a reasonable 3* with lots of shared facilities but in desperate need of bringing into the 21st century.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BB47
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pedro by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear BB47,
Thank you for your complete and frank review. I see that in general you enjoyed the hotel and the facilities of the complex, although you would have liked somewhere more modern. The Don Pedro is a tradition hotel with an Andalusian flavour that many of our guests are looking for. Most of the rooms have all been completely renovated within the last 6 years although there are a few pool rooms that still have some limited furniture from a previous renovation. I will check with the maintenance team as it is a shame for the whole hotel to be let down by a few pieces of furniture in a few rooms.
As regards the dining rooms, there are 2 in the complex and the guests from the Don Marco have the option of eating in either. Don Pedro guests eat in only one of them. I am sorry if the food did not keep its appeal during your whole visit. In general we have very good responses to our buffets but I see that you felt let down and I will look into the issues that you mention.
Once again I thank you for your review. Torremolinos has a huge following and has reinvented itself over the years into a wonderful family resort. I know it cannot be for everyone however.
Best regards,

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Very nice Hotel, Cosy Traditional Spanish hotel in nice location,Beautiful Gardens Lots of pools,
We only used the pool at the Don Pedro which is a salt water pool,Itis nice and quite at that end of the Sol Don Complex,Rooms & Hotel,Grounds & pool area is Spotless, close to resort centre
with lots of shops,Restraunts Bars,Hotels etc,
Transfer from Airport to hotel & hotel to airport on return journey was complementry of hotel,Was met by very plesant bus driver and taken direct to the hotel,But I cant say the same for the Taxi Driver that took us back to airport,He WAS RUDEST PERSON Ive ever encountered, First the hotel said there was a bus collecting us But they didnt know if it was collecting us at Hotel Or down the road at the Bus Stop,Which was rediculious as if we waited at hotel then obbviously we would miss it if it only stopped at the bus stop down the Road, So I decided we would head down to the bus stop and hoped we would see it if it turned up for hotel,We were there aprox 5 minuets when a taxi Pulled up for us that had been sent by hotel,he had 2 other passengers from another hotel,possibly don marco or don peblo,he went wild when he saw our suit case and shouting and pointing into the booth of car asking where he was going to put it then roughly handled the other passengers luggage, i taught my god if theres anything breakable in their cases its definetly broken now, Then he drove to airport like a maniac and never spoke a word,Hurled us out and the two other people were looking at us throwing their eves to the sky and said that man was the most insulting they had ever met,So maby the management of the Hotel should have a look at this man and decide if in the current financial climate they want this man to be the first person to Greet their guests,Possibly that is why he is only hire for guests that are Departing the hotel, He was an elderly gentleman driving a mercidies and it ws 9.15am on Tuesday 28th Augus twhen he picked us up, This might help hotel identifie him and possibly have a word explaining to him he can not treat their guests in that fashion.
Brekfast was the usual fare,Buffet style & show cooking,we didnt have dinner at hotel as we felt 21 euro each was too expensive, as you could get a nice 3 course dinner out for aprox 12 euro,
Theres a restraunt not far from the hotel id recommend, "The Tudor Rose" nice food there at very reasonable prices,and the first night you eat there they give you a 10%discount card for future visits,
I shall be returning to Torremolinos again and shall definetly stay at Don Pedro

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

I am really glad that you enjoyed the Sol Don Pedro Deborah K. What a terrible shame that a taxi driver at the end of the trip should have made you feel so bad. I have tried to investigate the transport issue but unfortunately no-one in reception remembers two different sets of guests being put into the same taxi. Sadly, although you have given all the information possible to identify the driver in question, if there are detailed logs of drivers' fares, they are not made available to us. I am afraid we are not able to choose which taxis come to the hotel to collect guests, although I have never heard of anything as unpleasant as this before.
With regards to the free transfer service for guests reserving on the melia.com website, the buses stop out at the b us stop on the street, but the drivers come into reception to find the guests.
Please do come back and visit us in the future.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Hotel is ok, but food in Don Pedro is terrible, cold, no choice, dirty plates, cups, old fruits :(
In Don Pablo food is much better! The entertainment programme is good. Our room was ok, but small and could be cleaner. The area of these 3 hotels is beatuful: flowers, palm trees, birds, cats.
I would advice Don Pablo rather than Don Pedro!

Room Tip: First floor
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Maria V

I am sorry that you were not so impressed by the Don Pedro Maria V. Perhaps next visit you would prefer the Don Pablo or the Don Marco. Both enjoy the same wonderful gardens, pools and location but the rooms are bigger and with higher standard of decoration. The Don Pedro is the most economical of the three hotels in the Sol Don Hotels Complex.
The complex has two restaurants. In the normal way, guests in the Don Pablo eat in one, Don Pedro guests eat in the other and Don Marco guests can choose. If, however a guest in either hotel prefers to try the food in the other restaurant we are happy for them to do so.
Thank you for your review.