“Great Hotel ( if you don't need wall to wall entertainment)”

Gran Cervantes by Blue Sea
Ranked #27 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Durham, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel ( if you don't need wall to wall entertainment)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have just returned from a week's all inclusive stay with family and friends. All in all it was an excellent stay. The rooms were immaculately clean and comfortable. The food was excellent - varied, imaginative and catering to all tastes from authentic Spanish cuisine , to international dishes and something to suit those who prefer burgers and chips! The staff ( especially those at reception were friendly and helpful).
I must also highly recommend this hotel to disabled guests.When realising my mother was in a wheelchair the staff sent out a wheel chair to convey her into the hotel and without us asking transferred her immediately into a room with walk in shower and shower seat! (Well done Gran Cervantes!) They also have disability scooters to hire.

O.K . Entertainment? Somewhat sparse - one man and his organ on two nights. T.V, channels ( not that this is what you are here for) -only BBC World. Internet ( my friends spent 5 euros a night for this - I took my laptop and some D.V.D.s) was conveyed to rooms if required.

Location - excellent right in the heart of Torremolinos near to bus and train station and shops/ bars and restaurants. I am not well off - but came back with more presents than in any other year - prices were cheap! The only negative thing here was that the hotel was at the top of a cliff - yes there was a lift- but then there were 14 more steps - so if you really cannot walk at all access to the beach would have been very difficult. We managed - but there were a few of us to carry the wheel chair down the steps.

On - Torremolinos itself - if you hire a car get a SAT NAV- because road signs are very poor.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gillian K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Had read some poor reviews beforehand so we were delighted that we found we could not fault the hotel. Fresh towels everyday, beds made up and rooms cleaned out on a daily basis. Reception provides towels for the pool for a refundable deposit. The food was of a great standard and something to suit all tastes, the indoor pool was great for the kids as it was within their depth. There was no shallow end in the outdoor pool which was my only complaint.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed at the hotel from the 24th untill today the 31st with my partner. We are a young couple and food the place fine considering some of the awful reviews we read before hand. Check in was easy and room was old fashioned but it was simple and clean so we weren't bothered. Food was fine for first few days but then you get a bit sick of it, everything is breaded, califlower,peppers, broccoli. You name it. I think they put out any meat and named it what they felt like, some chicken just was not normal. It was a shame to see so many adults eating children's frankfurter and chips. The paella was lovely, I had it everyday. Staff are deffinatley grumpy and the Spanish are highly prioritised. Nobody was particularly rude to us and with it being two of us the 2 drinks only rule was fine. We would return but probably would not eat in everynight.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Fernielouj
Norfolk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I cannot recommend this hotel though I have no others to compare with that we have stayed in here except some friends that are staying in a hotel down closer to the beach I would suggest go elsewhere there has got to be better so called 4* hotels around. We are lucky only staying on as bed & breakfast and as it is a work related trip I will try to give my honest opinion but if anyone that is going to attend the Malaga drilling school yes it is a 2 minute walk to the school but that is the only positive there are so many other hotels around your spoilt for choice so please shop around and let your homework start earlier by checking out better hotels here. All what others have said previously in the reviews are true and those that think the food on the all inclusive is good well I can only comment on what we see during the day there are no snacks that I've seen,only the breakfast I can comment on is aload of rubbish the bacon is very thin with more fat on it than meat the scrambled eggs sometimes has probably left over veg mixed in it the fried eggs are cold unless you are willing to stand and wait for your fresh egg everything is just thrown on the croissants all laying squashed not nice and fresh its like feeding the animals at the zoo. The emergency staircase is very popular as the 4 lifts that take a maximum of 8 persons which I think 6 was a squash are so busy especially at breakfast time you are just waiting too long so it's better to walk the stairs we are on the 6th floor the smaller heated pool on the 9th floor (rooftop) which you would have to get out at the 8th and walk anyway. I also recommend you grab your sun bed early as by 11am there are none left people wandering around trying to drag what sun beds they can see vacant over to small areas so they can be together, the pool area downstairs is mostly grass and some areas have been ribboned off so more squashing in of sun beds. It feels like I'm in a large hotel with not enough of everything they have here to go round once they are full which they are this week. Very sad as I can imagine this hotel must have once been up to their 4* but now you just get the feeling they are concentrating on getting the hotel full no matter what and letting other things slip. A warning also that I see is for your fully inclusive the drinks are poured by 1 man at the only bar we have seen open and you will have to stand in a Q for it really does look a sad sight to see it's been the same every day all day then you have the plastic cups etc left out on the terrace area which only ever get cleared away when this man gets 5minutes. There are no pool towels which is a first for me but then am I expecting too much here at this 4* ? still for €5 I bought my own from one of the many shops around here. The towels in the room are about as thin as my tea towels at home there is also a blanket & top throw over your crisp white sheets we can tell the sheets are clean but not sure how often the blanket & top cover gets washed I dread to think. So whoever is out there reading this and has got a good deal on their fully inclusive it is what it is (2*-3*) and if you get the nice weather too well good on you but if you were like us expecting the 4* forget it - go elsewhere!

Room Tip: If you want the sun in your balcony in the afternoon ask for a pool view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Torremolinos hotels

Lanark, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is a good hotel for families. the staff were pleasant and efficient. the food was plentiful and with plenty choice. As you would expect from a hotel catering mainly for 'all inclusive guests' the food tends to be international and a bit bland but no complaints at all.The hotel is situated in the centre of the town with good access to shops,beach and transport.the station is only 100m from the rear door .Only 2.70 euros from the airport by excellent spanish train and about 10 minutes travel time.Cafes and bars are again just outside the rear door.I would rate the hotel great value for money. Only one major gripe ,the car park . the car park is under the hotel but is expensive at 10 euros per night this seems to put most people off from using as is less than 5% full.

Room Tip: South facing rooms get most sun.
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

We found this hotel to be very clean with the majority of staff pleasant and friendly. Although we noted before we went a few dissatisfied reviews with regard to the food,we found it to be basically quite good with plenty of variety and if one dish was not to our taste,then there was always something else. However, one major drawback we found which would stop us ever going to this hotel again was the lack of entertainment. On Saturday evening we had a Spanish pianist and midway through the week we had a parrot show for the children. There was nothing else - not even piped background music. Torremolinos itself has plenty of bars and shops but no entertainment whatsoever. We are two adults in our 40's who are not yet ready to hang up our hats with a teenager and a 7 year old in tow. We were very disappointed and felt a week there was almost too long. We can honestly say we will never be going back.

3 Thank H M
Benidorm, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Ok, I have just today returned from this hotel on an all inclusive basis. Yes the hotel is a great central location, yes the rooms are clean and tidy, staff on reception ok, bar staff a bit grumpy. But a couple of odd rules let the hotel down. There are NO snacks during the day at all. The snack bar by the pool closed on the 17th October, but I am on holiday now not before the 17th October! and the hotel was full to bursting. So this means a walk to the main bar which has a queue, other hotels I have been to you can just help yourself to drinks on tap, but this hotel, no, they have to serve you small beers and eventually you can't be bothered to queue for it, the 'snacks' throughout the day involves dried up sandwiches left out on the side Along with dried up fruit cake And a bit of cheese and meat in the fridge!! No ice creams, no burgers, chips etc etc, so if you have teenagers with an appetite you may be in trouble!! There seems to be a view with the staff that if you are all inclusive you are somewhat 'lower class', by this I mean smaller drinks, only in plastic cups, Their are 'cocktails' available at the bar but the staff do not make them in front of you, they go off out the back simply to pour it out of a jug, I doubt they are actually alcoholic, but once the staff see your AI wristband there attitude changes, you are not served the same drinks basically!
Food in the restaurant is great, good choice.
The pool is cold and the usual scramble for sun beds but overall it's pleasant.
The staff overall are amenable and friendly, reception staff lovely, but the bar staff, well there service depends of whether you are all inc or not...

Room Tip: We stayed in the hotel puente real, just down the road 6 months before, this knocks spots off the gr...
2 Thank greatreview1