WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Gran Cervantes by Blue Sea

Gran Cervantes by Blue Sea
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here as part of a 10 strong hen party for 3 nights. The location is very good- the back entrance to the hotel is directly onto the main shopping precinct and to the front of the hotel and down the street is the lift down to the beach. The rooms were a very good size, very clean with a modern good size bathroom with bath & shower over. Some of our rooms had 3 beds and there was still plenty of room. The beds were comfy and as we were at the end of one of the corridors we had no noise at night- some of the other rooms nearer the lifts were a bit noisier. For an all inclusive the food on the whole was very good, although a little repetitive- but ok for 3 days.
The only downsides would be that drinks during the day are served in tiny plastic cups and you can only get 2 at once, and that there is no food at the poolside you have to go into the restaurant for all meals. The restaurant is also not very well laid out with food spread out a little too much.
The pool area was fine for when we were there but I can imagine is very crowded in high season. The roof top pool is covered, with a few sunbeds outside.
On the whole though very good value and I would stay there again either with friends or family for a short break.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank sarah w

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sandbach, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

When we first arrived at the hotel we were immediately astounded by the plush reception and communal areas. The bedroom was a little dated and mattresses were on the firm side, but the bathroom was immaculate. The rooms were also very spacious, with built-in wardrobes, air-con and we had a decent sized balcony which we often used, as the main bar area and terrace can get full in the evening. Also with neither of us being smokers, we found ourselves getting frustrated by trying to avoid the endless billows of smoke from the guests, 90% of whom seemed to smoke so were glad of the balcony. Rooms have TVs (albeit only picking up BBC World) and a reasonable sized fridge. We could not find fault with the cleanliness of this hotel, which is saying something given my fiance's exceptionally high standards! You have to queue at the bar for drinks, but the measures of spirits are decent. I think that you would only have cause for complaint if you were on a mission to get plastered every night. I think they deliberately understaff the bar in an effort to stop all-inclusive-ites getting trollied every night and the chaos which would ensue, which probably says a lot more about some UK holidaymakers' approach to alcohol than the hotel's policy.

The main areas of frustration were i) the pool arrangements, which involved queuing from 8.15am to reserve a deckchair. Neither of us are sun worshippers but something needs to be done to prevent people from hogging beds all day simply by leaving towels on them. Given the size of the hotel (it was full during our stay) and the grueling walk to the beach and back, these facilities are inadequate.
ii) We love eating out and consider ourselves to be foodies. The food was very average really. We appreciate that you cant expect Michelin quality meals on this budget, but we were a bit disappointed, especially as some of the produce used was good- hake, octopus, prawns etc as well as the usually pork and chicken fillets. It's a shame that it was often overcooked or very bland- surely herbs and spices can't be that dear in Spain. They tried too hard to cater to the needs of us English, which unfortunately went down well with most people. (You're in Spain for gods sake- don't you want to try different foods?!). We had paella most nights which was great but there was a distinct lack of anything else Spanish really. We could always make a meal (just about) but ate out on a couple of occasions (Try La Cacerola- simple but good cooking).
iii) Entertainment- was there any at all? If so, we didn't see it. They have a beautiful area for entertainment next to the reception but it was like a ghost town during our stay- what a waste.

All in all, you cant complain too much when you're paying these prices. I doubt we'd stay AI there again because of the nondescript food, but the hotel itself isn't bad at all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is in the centre of which is suppose to be one of the main squares in Torremolinos which is great considering you are close to lots of shops and bars. It is just a walk from the seafront, and the waves at the beach this year were awesome, the walk can be shortened by a lift which takes you down to the seafront at a small charge. The hotel itself is immaculately clean and the cleaning staff are constantly hard at work. The reception area is modern and very nice, as for the rooms they are average but the bathrooms are lovely. My balcony although, wasn't much of a pretty view; facing the back end of the hotel. I don't see why there is some such bad reviews but if I were to complain a bit it would be about the lack of entertainment (I would go as far as saying there was none, but that would be lying, there was two shows a parrot show and reptile show which people thoroughly enjoyed for the whole 20 minutes they lasted.) Usually when I go to hotels the entertainment team are somewhat more confident, louder, younger and exciting. On the other hand the staff were nice. On the first two days we didn't manage to get sunbeds around the main pool as we hadn't realised you had to get in a cue by the doors at about half 8, to wait for them to be opened by the cleaners at 9, to put towels on beds, but the cue wouldn't mean nothing as rude people would just push past you, and it was like a race. There wasn't enough beds to go round the quantity of people to be staying in the hotel and there is a bit of space for more. The roof top pool was still nice although there was no bar or lifeguard. No complaining of food on my behalf or my family and friends, it was an average all inclusive restaurant with lots of variety from burgers and hotdogs, to pizza, pasta, soups, fruit, rolls and fillers, meats, fish, and the different main courses. There was not much to the 'snack bar' just a few biscuits. Was a lovely relaxing holiday.

1 Thank Emily P
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We went to this hotel, wife, me and 4 year old son. This is not a 4 star hotel, service is 2 star!! Not family friendly. Pool area far too small for size of hotel. Kiddies pool is 2 metres away from deep end of big pool, which is 3 metres deep!! Evening Entertainment is total waste of time when there is some, totally not for children. Only allowed 2 drinks at each visit to bar, which is waste of time if you are family of 3 with a 4 year old. Dining experience was terrible, no cutlery, miserable staff, big queues for everything. Bar staff grumpy, not enough of them. Drinks are served in small plastic cups, not even half pints. not allowed out to pool area until 9am, hence huge queues for sunbeds. Will never return to this hotel again. Paper thin walls in hotel rooms.

Room Tip: Don't get noisy neighbours!!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Co-op Travel

3 Thank Rich N

Travelers are raving about these Torremolinos hotels

Heywood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I travelled 26 June -3 July with my wife and teenage daughter. Before I booked I read lots of reviews and picked out the common themes and wasn’t put off by the poor reviews and as it turned out I was right and so you shouldn’t be. I will give you an open and honest assessment of the experience I had.
Hotel appearance: The reception area and lounge is very modern and immaculate. Cleaning staff are constantly cleaning. The balance of guests I would say is 35% Spanish 45% British/Irish, 10% French and 10% the rest.
Main issues: Entertainment – probably the hotels weakest point; there is massive room for improvement. I witnessed entertainment on Friday, Saturday and Tuesday (Parrot show). The weekend entertainment is provided by a chap Jose singing while playing an organ with a backing tape. This is mainly for the Spanish guests/local Spanish people who like and a very good at dancing to Salsa type music. Now I don’t expect entertainment every night and nor should it be specifically aimed at the British but it needs to be equally balanced but it isn’t. So if your thing is entertainment I suggest you look elsewhere.
Staff: On the whole extremely friendly just 1 or 2 that could try harder but I experienced nothing extreme. I think if you treat them with respect then they will respect you.
Hen/Stag people: Yes there were but they are there for the weekend and didn’t cause us any problems but we do not sit around the pool all day; prefer to go to the beach.
Lifts: There are 3 of them and 1 for disabled access. They are not express and you do have to wait at busy times but they work.
Pool area: They do not stack the sun loungers so when the 9am bell goes the loungers are covered in a swathe of towels. There aren’t enough loungers to go around of course but again this seems to be common but slightly worse here as there isn’t a lounger for half the people assuming it is full and everybody wanted one. There is a pool on floor 9 with spectacular views. There appeared to be some room up there at times. I’m not someone who spends all of my time around the pool but the complaint many people face in lots of hotels around Spain.
Rooms: The hotel is ‘T’ shaped and faces east/south east so the rooms on the right hand side as you look at the ‘T’ would have the sun in the morning we were still bathed in sunshine at 20.15 now we were on floor 7 (705) south/south west facing. The numbering starts on our side and snakes all the way around. The room was plenty big enough for 3. Towels are changed and room tidied and cleaned every day and kept really clean. The bathroom is a good size and is well maintained. The beds are firm, suited me and the pillows are a little ‘thin’ but we asked for another and the supervisor arranged for them almost immediately.
Dining Room: Quite contemporary. Food choice is very good. Each meal time there will be a chef cooking fresh meat and/or fish. The food stations don’t appear to have any great order to them. I suggest you have a good look before you engage with filling your plate. They always replenish the food sometimes not at a click of a finger but they do it. You help yourself to beer, bottles of wine and soft drinks. Breakfast is chaos but it’s the same everywhere I have been.
Bar area: 2 drinks at a time. Beer and soft drinks are served in small cups or glasses in the evening. Spirits and mixers are poured in a standard glass. It can be frustrating occasionally but you get used to it and I guess it eliminates waste – it’s not a big issue.
Surrounding area: As the crow flies its 5 minutes’ walk. However it’s not that simple you can either use a lift (50 cents each) just across the road from the hotel. Use the path/part road which slinks down to the beach (180+ steps) – 15 minutes. You can walk down the road which is immediate left once you have left the hotel this will take 15-20 minutes or you can walk past the church towards the crematorium and there is a path with less but steeper steps(136) 15 -20 minutes. There is quite a good shopping area to the west and around the back of the hotel. There are plenty of bars and places to eat so if you’re not all inclusive you can’t go wrong – when we went out for a walk after dinner there was a lovely atmosphere in the many squares and plaza’s. Benalmadena is 30 -40 minute walk or the bus 110/120 which takes about 10 minutes (1.5 euros single). The train station is about 5 minutes away in the main square, I could see it from our room and the bus station or main road for buses is a similar distance away

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor on south west side
5 Thank 6112pa
liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Returned today from this hotel ! The hotel was spotless our rooms were cleaned on a daily basis. Views were amazing ! Food was good and catered for all ! Staff friendly at all times ! I feel there should be more entertainment for an all inclusive hotel - the bar closed at 11pm. There are numerous bars and restaurants around the hotel which was good. If you wanted a good nightlife then a taxi ride to Benalmadena is a must and is only 10 Euros. It did have one down side though - my partner and his friend had to queue from about 8 am until 9am for the sunbeds and once the door opens its like a stampede ! My partner fell in the rush and sustained a badly twisted ankle and cut shin due to the madness of it all and he wasnt the only one injured. We complained to the manager but not for ourselves but for older people and children who could get seriously hurt (health and safety risk defo). The management did say they would look into this for future guests ! Would defo go back excellent value for money !

1 Thank colette531
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

After reading reviews I was very sceptical of staying in this hotel but I found it very good for value overall. We were a small group of 21 year olds where there were families, couples and hen and stag dos staying in the hotel, different groups of people. We were all inclusive and the food was good, lots of selection and there was always something you could chose from if you weren't a fan of some stuff. The hotel I think was very modern and clean and the rooms too where they were cleaned, beds made and towels changed daily if wanted. Drinks were only allowed 2 at a time which I think is fine, just the only down side is the size of the cups they come in whilst around the pool, other than that the all inclusive in my opinion is great. I think the major aspect that lets the hotel down is the size of the pool and the small number of sun beds around the pool. People were queuing early just to get beds by the pool, there clearly weren't enough for the number of guests at the hotel so we ended up just on the grass each day near the pool. I think torremolinos and this hotel are lovely but they are not very lively. Not really any entertainment at night in the hotel and torremolinos area for stag dos and young people is poor. We ended up going to benamadena every night because the area in general is poor. Other than that I thought the hotel was very clean and modern and overall good value for money.

• Stayed July 2013