When we first arrived at the hotel we were immediately astounded by the plush reception and communal areas. The bedroom was a little dated and mattresses were on the firm side, but the bathroom was immaculate. The rooms were also very spacious, with built-in wardrobes, air-con and we had a decent sized balcony which we often used, as the main bar area and terrace can get full in the evening. Also with neither of us being smokers, we found ourselves getting frustrated by trying to avoid the endless billows of smoke from the guests, 90% of whom seemed to smoke so were glad of the balcony. Rooms have TVs (albeit only picking up BBC World) and a reasonable sized fridge. We could not find fault with the cleanliness of this hotel, which is saying something given my fiance's exceptionally high standards! You have to queue at the bar for drinks, but the measures of spirits are decent. I think that you would only have cause for complaint if you were on a mission to get plastered every night. I think they deliberately understaff the bar in an effort to stop all-inclusive-ites getting trollied every night and the chaos which would ensue, which probably says a lot more about some UK holidaymakers' approach to alcohol than the hotel's policy.
The main areas of frustration were i) the pool arrangements, which involved queuing from 8.15am to reserve a deckchair. Neither of us are sun worshippers but something needs to be done to prevent people from hogging beds all day simply by leaving towels on them. Given the size of the hotel (it was full during our stay) and the grueling walk to the beach and back, these facilities are inadequate.
ii) We love eating out and consider ourselves to be foodies. The food was very average really. We appreciate that you cant expect Michelin quality meals on this budget, but we were a bit disappointed, especially as some of the produce used was good- hake, octopus, prawns etc as well as the usually pork and chicken fillets. It's a shame that it was often overcooked or very bland- surely herbs and spices can't be that dear in Spain. They tried too hard to cater to the needs of us English, which unfortunately went down well with most people. (You're in Spain for gods sake- don't you want to try different foods?!). We had paella most nights which was great but there was a distinct lack of anything else Spanish really. We could always make a meal (just about) but ate out on a couple of occasions (Try La Cacerola- simple but good cooking).
iii) Entertainment- was there any at all? If so, we didn't see it. They have a beautiful area for entertainment next to the reception but it was like a ghost town during our stay- what a waste.
All in all, you cant complain too much when you're paying these prices. I doubt we'd stay AI there again because of the nondescript food, but the hotel itself isn't bad at all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Blue Sea Gran Cervantes is located in the commercial leisure centre of Torremolinos with sea views and only 800 meters to the beach. It is located 7 km from the Airport and only 300m from the train station. It offers good transport connections and can be easily accessed. The hotel has been recently renovated and has a total of 398 rooms which are comfortably equipped and all are adapted for every type of client, business client, individual or for family. There are gardens, a swimming pool area for adults and children; Solarium, Gym, sauna and indoor pool heated during winter. Miniclub in high season, Laundry service, Room service, Garage, Free wifi in the lobby. Restaurant Buffet, Lobby Bar, Pool Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Gran Cervantes by Blue Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cervantes Hotel Torremolinos
- Gran Cervantes By Blue Sea Torremolinos, Costa Del Sol, Spain