“Satisfactory In Some Areas”

Gran Cervantes by Blue Sea
Ranked #34 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I just returned home from this hotel on Sunday after staying 5 nights.

The positive points about this hotel is that it is in a convenient location from the train station, great balcony, rooms were cleaned everyday and staff were friendly.

I was really disappointed that the bar shut at 11pm all the time I was there. One night around 1am I was in need of bottled water or a soft drink in which I was told to visit the vending machine on the 9th floor in which there was none so I ended up walking to the local bus station to their vending machine. For a 4 star hotel, I found this very disappointing.

The bed was really hard and uncomfortable and the breakfast in the hotel was nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Stariene
Write a ReviewReviews (3,236)

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I came to this hotel with two friends in November all inclusive for 11 nights, my friends I may point out are both in their 70's, him nearer 80's.
On arriving the hotel reception were very quick and efficient and we were soon in our rooms.
Mine was on the 7th. floor (738) and had an extended balcony overlooking a statue of a lady riding a bull, I had read that the top floors were the ones to ask for as they were further away from the hussle and bussle of the outside early morning life. I did find the tweeting of the many sparrows nestling in the trees lovely first thing, not so lovely when one had a hangover though.
I may point out to the reader that I have stayed 3 times at the Balmoral hotel all inc. in Bellamadena and thought that they were very good, but being late on in the season and not to many shops etc around the front at Belamadena many closed for the season, I had decided to accompany my friends to Torremolenos. I was not disappointed.
This hotel was spotlessly clean, the hotel cleaning staff were excellent and very friendly hence a nice tip was given to them on my last day there.
The Cervantes is slap bang in the middle of the shopping centre of Torremolenos.
Train station is 200 to 300 yds from the rear exit of hotel where you can get a train right to the airport and the other way will take you to Fuerengulola...:-) (spelling)
The main shopping street is 50 yds from hotel rear entrance (San Miguel) one way takes you to steps which then take you to the beach, not bad walking down but only for the fittest on walking back up. Of course there is a lift and for the princely price of 50 cents you can get a lift back to the top were there is also a viewing platform and once again a matter of yards from the hotel. The other way up San Miguel st takes you to the main road and yet more shops, on this main road are bus stops which will take you everywhere, just ask. Once again, when leaving the hotels rear exit if one turns right and walks a mere hundred yards to a roundabout with a nesstle of flag posts on it, turn left there, and just after a small cafe and an electronics shop, you will find "Rubens" the local money exchanger. I may point out that at the time in November there were 1.25 euros to the pound. the hotel was changing one for one !!!! Rubens gave 1.23 and another rip off money changer on the corner of San Miguel st advertised 1.20 but you actually got 1.17 because they hadn't changed their sign yet !!!! although they didnt change their sign for the full 11 days that I was there, so Rubens is the place to go for money changing, you get more for your pound there than you will in the UK as well. Rubens also do coach trips to Gibraltar and other destinations at least 5 to 10 euros cheaper, so if there is a few of you its a great saving booking at Rubens.
Even though I was all inclusive, I still managed on a few occasions to eat out and I can highly recommend the Pukka steak pie chips peas and gravy at the Irish bar next to the hotel, again through the rear exit. A great thank you must go to the staff at this very friendly hostelry, Alan, Little fat and heavily pregnant Billy, and the gorgeous Kara not forgetting to mention the lovely Katherin. If only I was twenty years younger, you never know, I may have stayed to live in Torremolenos. :-)
The hotel food I thought excellent and very palatable to the refind british taste and also plenty of it.
On the roof terrace is a nice clean swimming pool inside a sort of glass menagery with sun beds around the interior and also a gymnasium, on sunny days there were many people enjoying the rays outside on the terrace, I would recomend that one takes their own towel, even though the hotel rents out towels, they are very thread bare, as is the bathroom hand and bath towels. If only these hotels would realise that small things mean a lot. They spend thousands on advertisements and decor yet they cannot purchase new towels, I would recommend three times a year, otherwise they will soon become threadbare and people will moan as is the god given right of some British tourists.
Now getting back to the hotel bar staff, I would not be able to do there job for all the tea in China, no wonder they are very slow with all the hassle they get from mainly British tourists on the all inclusive and boy dont they want to make the most of the all inc. How uncouth and ill mannered not to mention down right disgusting the alcoholic British tourist can be. Leaving their children in the hands of their eldest child who by the way was only 13 herself and dressing like a tart in see-through clothes, tight mini hotpants and looking after two baby sibblings whilst her parents were busy making sure they got the most of their all inc booze.
Apart from those few little hiccups this hotel is a must in the early months of the year and also the latter months.
I wouldnt like to stay there high summer mainly because of the abusive British alcoholic tourist.
I then returned for a further 10 days all inc. over the Christmas/New Year period returning back to good old blighty on the 3rd. Jan, 2013
Yet again, the Hotel pulled out all the stops and made Christmas dinner a very enjoyable experience were I met some lovely people (John and Margaret, Penny and Nick and also a great and very funny Irish family, mother father and daughter Amanda who ran a childrens creche back home)(love you all and thx for making my Christmas holiday a very special one, keep in touch)
Hopefully this blog will help with deciding your hotel in Torremolenos....:-)
Happy Holidays.....:-)

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the top or from the fourth floor and above ending in 38 as they have the extende...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank dolphinbay1
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was at the Cervantes in November 2012 with my granny and my cousin it rained everyday but we had an AMAZING holiday!!! The beach is about 5-10 minutes walk but you can get the liftjust around the corner for 50 cent. Some staff nice especially Alberto (bar man) who was SO good to us had time for children :D!!!! Food good a wide selection!!! Room spotless maid very helpfull !!!! Roof top pool good but my granny got soaked when she was watching us!! Overall GREAT hotel I would defiantly recommend this hotel !!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Ben F
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The good points to this hotel are the convenient location, the nice public areas and the evening meals. The down-side was the room. The two things I did like about the room were the balcony, which was huge and afforded splendid views, and the bathroom had a fantastic massaging power shower, which was a real luxury. apart from that my room was a disappointment. It smelled of tobacco, hadn't seen a duster in months, was dated, small, tatty, the bed was hard and uncomfortable. The breakfast in this hotel was disappointing, but the evening meals were very good, with a nice range of predominantly Spanish dishes on offer. I felt 2 Euros for a glass of wine with my meal was reasonable. Purely due to the low standard of the room I would not return to this hotel, which is a shame because it could be an excellent hotel. The staff offered a typically Spanish style of service to guests. The clientele were mainly British, Dutch and German. There was a small number of lower quality guests at the hotel, but not enough to ruin my stay. If you're not planning to spend much time in the room then I do recommend this hotel, but if, like me, you enjoy a nice clean, spacious, comfortable hotel room, then give a wide berth to this hotel. Hope this review helps. Nearly forgot to mention the lifts, which can be a little scary as they shudder and jar somewhat disconcertingly as they go up and down the lift shaft, they are not for the faint hearted. They are also very slow. and one more tip too, if you want to use the heated pool you need flip flops and a swimming cap.

Room Tip: Choose high for less noise and great views
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Mark H
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Cervantes is located just off the town square, a few minutes walk from the Renfe train station (about 20 minutes by train from Malaga airport train station) and is close to the shops, restaurants, cafes, tapas bars and pubs. The beaches are about 10 / 15 mins walk down the zig-zag path (less by the public lift). We have stayed in the hotel several times and been quite happy with the value for money. We have heard whinges about the food - but we wouldn't keep going back if we thought it was that bad! The rooms are clean and typically spanish standard. The reception / lounge / bar area is modern and bright. Never had any problem with the staff - they've always been polite and friendly (I think it is sometimes down to how you approach them yourself!).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank andandytoo
Reviewed January 15, 2013

really nice reception area, rooms very clean, great central location ideal for trains shopping and loads of bars and restaurants, food, there's always something to eat, one lunch we watched clients turn there noses up at some of the food one being cauliflower soup yes its different but it was delicious, now the negatives, we are down to earth hard working normal people but the queues for the bar in the evenings were nothing more than a disgrace to paying guests who lets face it choose to use this hotel and i"m sure wont be returning and will be doing reviews like this, 25 minutes for two drinks "NO THANKS".such a shame the staff cant be blamed, the management need to start looking at the reviews, all ok when the Spanish were there more staff were present, with the likes of the griego mar due to reopen soon these guests will be supporting them. weather made the break for us, would we go back....sort the queues out..yes

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank dave s
Reviewed January 15, 2013

ok where do i start . rooms clean thats the only positive comment i can give this hotel staff ignorant and unhelpful water only if you purchase from vending machine food diabolical we went all inclusive as so many of the people we met and we all eat out after first day lager was served in red wine glasses there was no entertainment apart from when spanish invaded the hotel friday to sunday when they put a spanish pianist on for them and we could not get a drink at the bar quite a few of us had spent 2 days in bed and the rest had a cold virus i can say 16 of us were really upset at the service we had to endure . internet very expensive

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple