“Sadly, my first impressions were wrong!”

Gran Cervantes by Blue Sea
Ranked #28 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Uxbridge
“Sadly, my first impressions were wrong!”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Ok lets start with the positives. The hotel is is a very good position. It welcomes you into a lovely reception area, where the reception staff were friendly and helpful. We arrived early and were able to leave our bags in secure area and go sit by the pool until our room was ready. The pool was nice, although I can imagine that it gets very crowded in high season.
Our room, like the rest of the hotel, was very clean, and we had a sea view. It was also a good size with all the usual and necessary furniture including hair dryer and toiletries, we even had a small fridge. However, here's where the positives end I'm afraid. Our room had an adjoining door to the next room. This meant that there was no sound profing at all and we could hear all the conversations and bathroom sounds as if they were in our room. After 3 days of no sleep (the poor lady in the next room sounded like she had pneumonia!!) I did make a complaint to the manager who was very amicable and offered to move us to a new room. Apart from sound proofing, the only thing missing from the room was a kettle. Not such a problem in the heat of summer, but in the cooler weather I like my morning cup of tea without having to get dressed and go and queue in the restaurant.

Here's where the hotel lost all its points for me. The restaurant, we fondly nicknamed the canteen and, by the end of the week, Colditz! Breakfast was the meal they did best. All the usual and expected fruit, cold meats, pastries, bread and full English with eggs and pancakes fried freshly. Hot drinks were available from a machine as were fruit juices, if you wanted to queue! The soft drinks machine was turned off and these drinks were not available until 11am. Very annoying if you have paid upfront for your breakfast and want to enjoy it with a diet cola.

If you visit this hotel on a room only or B and B basis all the above faults could seem minor, but we stayed all inclusive. The food selections at the beginning of the week seemed good, there were always salads and pasta and a paella dish. There was also a grill area where 1 meat and 1 fish was cooked freshly. However after a week of lunches and dinners the food became samey and some was of a questionable standard. Furthermore, there was only the 1 restaurant, and with over 300 rooms, at peak times it got very busy with lots of crowding, and queueing, and staff unable to refill trays of food quickly thus reducing the choices further. At these times the noise was also unpleasant and, as no food was allowed to be taken from the restaurant to be eaten somewhere quiet, the only alternative was to leave the hotel and pay to eat elsewhere.

Service at the bar at was even worse. We knew we had paid only for local drinks and they were fine, it was the staffs attitude that was poor. Most of the bar staff struggled to break into a smile and if you want a lager don't expect to get more than 250mls at a time if you are all inclusive. The larger glasses are reserved for guests paying for drinks individually.

In my opinion, this is not a 'holiday hotel' and all inclusive does not work here. If the price was right I would stay here again, but on a room only basis, as there are plenty of bars and resteraunts to eat/drink in nearby.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Have stayed here several times with half board. On this visit did not like changes in the restaurant.
We had booked half board again and was told it is now all inclusive, which we found chaotic and did not like being told we had to wear an arm band at all times.
Apart from that had a great stay and as usual all the staff very friendly.

6 Thank LJBarrett
huddersfield
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Just returned from a one night stay. Mix up with travel dates my fault, fantastic service here and sorted it out no problem, very helpful staff. However what can I say about the food, . Evening meal cold,Lunch the same as evening meal,Breakfast poor, Vegetables and sausages from the previous night. Staff in the dining room unhelpful and rude.
The party I was with, are not fussy eaters, and very rarely complain about the food.
I have stayed here before and the food was fine.
The rooms were spacious, and very clean.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Martenpurple
Sturbridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 3, 2011

In my junior year of high school, I signed up for a trip to Southern Spain with my spanish teacher and a few other members of my class. We were to be exploring Andalusia with a base hotel along the Costa Del Sol. With the rumors I had heard about the coast being a tourist trap with industrial hotels and a lack of native culture, I did not expect much from the hotel. It was only going to be a place to sleep, however I was pleasently surprised with Hotel Gran Cervantes.

My best friend and I shared a double room, where there were two twin beds pushed together, a TV with local Spanish Channels, and a balcony. While the walls were thin and we could unfortunately hear our noisy neighbors, the firm beds provided a good nights sleep, which were much needed after our full days of touring. We spent many nights talking about our adventures out on the balcony, which had a view of the Mediteranean, the small city, and had a lovely absence of bugs or mosquitos.

The hotel had two pools, one inside a glass room on the roof with a view of the beach, and one outside in the shade of palm trees. The outdoor pool was too chilly for us, however we enjoyed the sauna near the indoor pool. The roof was also covered with solar panels, proving the hotel to be eco-friendly. One of my favorite details of the hotel is that your room key is needed to turn on the lights, and you have to take your room key with you when you leave, so then the lights will never be left on.

I was not particularly impressed with the restaurant however. It was buffet style and contained a mixture of international and local food. Personally, I am a very picky eater and lived off of french fries and salad, however everyone else was pleased with their options. Breakfast was preffered there over dinner with a variety of pastries, pancakes, and fruit, not to mention the famous spanish coffee, delicioso.

I have stayed at nicer hotels and Im sure there are nicer hotels in the area, yet its purpose was served. It was a great base for exploring the area, walking distance from the beach and in the center of the shopping district. Buena Suerte.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the Meditteranean, the town is not all that pretty and not worth a bal...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank bumpsetspike12
Omagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

just back from week in hotel cervantis everything super - food good, location excellent - came from airport in 20 minutes no need for a taxi. Bed a wee bit hard but rest of bedroom lovely with sea view. Staff very helpful and friendly. Only complaint was there was no entertainment at night would have been nice to sit in bar and listen to some music - this is our third visit to this hotel and we would go back.

7 Thank sandra p
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Should have listened to the reviews and never booked this hotel. It was apparently recently taken over by Blue Sea Resorts and this is when they started offering All Inclusive. This did not work at all as all guests were not all inclusive. Yes, we were indeed pointed to where we should sit in the dining room and by the end of the week became just a bit annoying. We did have a lovely sea view room and it was kept spotless but the beds were not just hard they were rock solid. No entertainment apart from at the weekend. Did speak to customer services and they did admit they had a lot of teething problems and complaints. All in all avoid this hotel.

4 Thank ARLENEM672

Travelers are raving about these Torremolinos hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Back again, and still very much enjoying being here. Don't forget to book room with a sea view. The room size is good, but didn't stay much in the room. We are spending most of the time on the balcony, with a great view. We can discuss if it's 3*** of 4 **** hotel. As a professional, working in travel industry, I know that stars are given to hotels based on the amenities en services provided. So I would say, it's 4 star, not the best 4 star hotel I have seen, but still very pleasant hotel. Compare to last year, breakfast became more basic. They don't have cava anymore!!!! Recently I have been staying in Ritz Carlton Moscow, so in my opinion breakfast there is much worse then in Cervantes, so make your own conclusion.
One thing I don't like here, the pillows, so flat....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends