“Wish I'd found Simply Diving sooner.”
Review of Simply Diving

Simply Diving
Ranked #1 of 7 Tours in Torremolinos
More attraction details
Owner description: Simply Diving Spain is the premiere scuba diving school with two dive centres on Spain's Costa del Sol: One dive centre in Marbella, just yards from the beach and our boat, and one in Torremolinos near Malaga. Simply Diving offers the ultimate in underwater experiences, whether trying scuba diving for the first time or as an experienced diver. As the only PADI 5 Star Career Development Dive Centre (CDC) between Malaga and Marbella and the only British-run PADI 5 Star CDC in Spain, Simply Diving offers you the chance to take scuba diving lessons around colourful reefs, get the PADI Open Water Diver scuba diving certification or take advanced and professional-level scuba diving courses with Instructors who are at the top of their profession. Simply Diving Spain has been offering scuba diving trips and courses on Spain's south coast since 1999. Dive on wrecks, in marine parks, from boats or from the shore. There is no better dive centre in Spain to dive or learn to dive with than Simply Diving.
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Having dived a few times around Malaga with other so-called PADI dive centres, I decided that when it was time for my family to try scuba diving, it was time to try Simply Diving based on good recommendations.
I had previously looked for the best option to suit a low budget, but instead of saving myself a euro or two, I went with what looked like the most professional outfit. I wasn't disappointed at all.
Simon the manager and his team made us feel welcome and that our business was important to them. The training my family received was second to none. Their kit is of a very high standard compared to the rubbish rental equipment I've used in the past and overall we were made to feel safe and in very good hands.
I will be diving with Simply Diving again and only wish I hadn't wasted the opportunity to do so before.

2  Thank thomas f
simplydiving, Manager at Simply Diving, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thanks for your comments Thomas. We appreciate you taking the time to post a review.

As a family-run dive centre, welcoming families and making them feel 100% comfortable is one of our top priorities!

We're glad that you also found our equipment safe and reliable. This is one area of our dive school that we invest a lot of our time and budget to.

We hope to see you all here in Spain for some more diving in the not too distant future...

Warmest regards from the SD team.

Simon

Simon Bell
PADI Course Director #197337
Dive Operations Manager
SIMPLY DIVING

There are newer reviews for Simply Diving

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I went to Spain to finish off my open water course, I picked Simply Diving because of their five star PADI rating and scubapro educational associate. I wasn't disappointed, professional setup, fantastic levels of equipment and condition. I found best way to communicate is by email, after all they are out diving all day. They make dive training fun but take safety very seriously, very organised at the dive sites which was perfect for the job. When I was there they had a lot of people diving again with them, which will do when I go back to torremolinos.
After I finished my open water course, the next day I went diving in Gibraltar with them, what a fantastic time I had, definitely recommend simply diving, simply the best!
Thank you to Simon, Duncan and the crew, see you soon :-)

3  Thank Ian W
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I did my PADI Open Water with Simply Diving. I picked Simply Diving because Simon was super quick in answering emails, very friendly and everything seemed really straight forward (just bring your bathing suit and a towel :), wow! how many Dive shops will ask you to buy gear before you even get started?). The Open Water ran over 3 days, we went over lots of indoor and outdoor skills. It was a really good experience, really well organized, great gear. The water at Marina del Este was cold, but Simply Diving provided us with all the material we needed to stay warm and be safe (they were almost too cautious with us :)!). Thanks for offering the training all year round, and for being so welcoming and flexible!! (and for the coffees hehe)

1  Thank Kuala L
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Like to thank Simon and his team for a great course and experience. Well worth doing when you visit the area.

Cheers, Ewan

1  Thank Dunno82
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We recently spent a week in Andalucia and pre-booked 2 dives with Simply Diving - after arriving on Saturday night we managed to find the shop on Monday, intending to dive on the Tuesday, but were recommended to dive at Tarifa on Thursday which we happily agreed to. Meantime it started to rain - hadn't rained since March - lucky us!

We phoned Simply Diving on Wednesday to find out the timing and were told Tarifa was full and the info we'd received was incorrect, so we'd lost the opportunity to dive on Tuesday and Wednesday, bottom line we agreed we'd dive on Friday at Marina del Este. Since we were staying outside the range of the hotel pick up, we needed to be at the shop at 8am. Thursday night was the biggest storm EVER - a woman and her house were washed into the sea! She died!! We heard later on the news that 8 people died.

We texted and called SImon the shop owner at 6am on Friday and said we'd prefer to re-schedule, only to be told this would be counted as a late cancellation and we'd forfeit our dives and payment. So albeit a bit later we went to the shop and got there at 9am in bucketing rain - waited while the other divers were picked up from their hotels - they got to the shop at about 9.30am! (thank goodness we didn't make it for 8am!)

We all got into the mini-van and headed toward Marina del Este - the sea was brown with runoff from all the rain, one corner at Marina del Este was clear. We were the ONLY dive operation working that day, and one van passed us and made signs that we were 'loco' diving in this weather. The rain kept pelting down and both DM's, Marco and Dan and all of the divers were not happy with the conditions, but after a phone conversation with Simon, they were instructed to carry on with the dive despite the conditions. He wasn't present, didn't see the conditions firsthand but didn't allow them to make the call - so the show went on.

Well we got into the water and the viz wasn't too bad - approximately 15m, but it was cold and not much to see, I think the fish were cold too - we saw 2 octopii and a few fish but not much else, until we rounded the big rock and went straight into the muck - you could smell the sand in the water and viz went down to about 1m, quite frightening. The water was about 15 deg and we were starting to shiver under water but couldn't stop short of rounding the big rock as that was the exit point. We were all too cold to do a second dive so we forfeited that dive anyway and frankly this was the WORST dive I've ever experienced - didn't particularly want to repeat it!
We were very disappointed with the attitude of SImon - when we returned to the shop he said 'well you have to take the bad with the good' - seems to me we took the bad while he took the good, and our money! We really thought it was a poor show to insist on diving in the conditions, just normal rain would have been one thing, torrential rain with that type of runoff was not acceptable.
In the spirit of diving, we felt it should have been called a bust and the dives re-scheduled - or a gesture of goodwill would have been to offer us a partial refund if rescheduling would have been impossible, we would have been happier to share the knock.
Altogether a disappointing experience and a sad attitude, not in keeping with the spirit of scuba. We will not be back.

7  Thank bfgb09
simplydiving, Manager at Simply Diving, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear **** and ****,

We are very sorry you didn't enjoy your diving experience with us and would like to respond to some of the issues raised in your anonymous review on Trip Advisor.

What a shame you didn't feel as strongly at the time when you met me here at the dive centre, in person, at the end of the day. When I was printing out some logbook pages for you and helping you fill in the details of the dive activity - to add them to your forgotten logbooks at a later date - we would gladly have listened to any thoughts about the day. Unfortunately, you didn't share any with us. You certainly didn't ask for a refund!

The first issue you raise is your confusion with the dive schedule. We had previously contacted you with our dive schedule for the week and never received a response. You later told us this was because of your own email and phone troubles. You then eventually arrived at the dive centre and said your preference was for a day that, in the meantime, had become fully booked.

With regards the arrival time at the dive centre, we are sympathetic to those who have to travel to us from far away and are always flexible with the exact start time of the day. But just as you were late through no fault of your own, sometimes our collection times for divers staying locally can also run behind schedule. We're not robots! And neither are the divers we pick up each morning!

But of course the most important matter you raise, however, is of the dive conditions and what seems to be some concerns for your safety.

You mention that the night previous to your diving saw the worst storms "EVER". This isn't factually correct, but more importantly the death you refer to that was widely reported happened in a town 365km (227 miles) and a four-hour drive away. The most localised concern where there was some flooding was in an area close to an inland town called Alora, still 114km and a one-and-a-half-hour drive away from where you dived.

We have been running Simply Diving for almost six years now and would not be so foolish to declare the dive conditions on the day in question to be at their best. Diving in the rain is not to everyone's liking. But we cannot cancel all diving activity because of it.

As the Dive Operations Manager and having conducted thousands of dives - for pleasure and training purposes - at our sites along a 240km stretch of coastline, I am in the best position to decide where and when to dive. The decision is based on considerable experience and local knowledge. Hence the reason - as is standard Simply Diving procedure - that our staff keep in contact throughout the day with updates on the activity and the divers themselves. Often they have to ask for advice, as they are trained to do.

The dive conditions you experienced included up to 15m visibility, a flat sea and zero current. You were in a group of five divers in total and were supervised by two fully-certified and Teaching Status PADI Instructors and a Rescue Diver/Divemaster Trainee. If you were at all "frightened" at any stage, this may say more about your own confidence underwater than Simply Diving's failings.

(One can't help wondering what any diver or dive operation in the UK, Ireland, Holland, Norway, Denmark, Germany etc. would think when reading your review. Divers who, on a weekly basis, would love to experience 15m viz and a flat sea! You can't help wondering how these schools would survive if they called off diving every time it rained!)

The fact remains that nobody in the world can guarantee optimum dive conditions. But isn't this the reason we all love diving? We are at the behest of Mother Nature every time we don our scuba unit. This is what makes it, in part, an exciting hobby.

You say you were also unhappy at the marine life you encountered, but both Dan and Marco are baffled by these comments. You seemed to enjoy what you saw on the day. I'm reminded here of a scene from the great Fawlty Towers. "May I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window, ma'am? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon?", Basil asks a tricky guest.

We understand if it's only fantastic viz and constant 30 degree water you're after. There are many divers who dive in these conditions only! But that was not promised by me, my website, my advertising or my staff. For these conditions, you have to dig a little deeper and get yourself out to the Bahamas! Or, even better, visit us in the high season when we have up to 30m viz and 26 degree water temperature!

You also seem to be a aggrieved that someone could dare to make money out of scuba diving. But you must keep in mind that what is an occasional hobby for you, is our sustenance. It's what pays our bills and feeds us and our families.

All the very best of luck with your future diving.

Yours sincerely,